walking disabilty

horse444

:-S we would like to do something different next april,& may, other than travel via France to spain, can u suggest a nice route maybe heading to Italy (but open to any suggestions) our problem is I have limited walking abilty and normally find all sites to far out (we were hoping not to tow car) we tried Portugual but found getting around very difficult any suggestions greatly appreciated :-D :-D

Have you considered Sweden, Finland and Norway?

April might be a bit early for some of the Northern passes but the people are generally very friendly and mostly speak good English although sites can be rare in places and expensive.

That said there is much freedom to stop anywhere that you are not causing a nuisance and some spectacular sea and mountain views are possible. Water etc can be found along the way and at marinas or use a site every third day or so to empty and refill?

Guest JudgeMental

April/May still winter in Scandinavia. have had 6 foot of snow in April up in Sweden. Summers tend to be short but reliable. Spain would be my choice, decent weather, can rent a mobility scooter and safe cycle paths to ride on...Can even get a 2 seater...:-D

You see 100's of them being ridden and a lot by able bodied people who have no infirmity..

mobility.jpg.0690edef99d2e9b9c60f6f56431fdab3.jpg

423676183_2up.jpg.d5c9042f5605bc40117e404724a0dffa.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
horse444 - 2013-11-28 12:08 PM

Sicily sounds nice, what weather like in late April early May

It is a known alternative to Spain for overwintering....certainly not as popular, but supposedly nice (have not been ourselves but LUV Italy and go every year) Would be a lot quieter, but you are talking about spring time so should be OK. moast get the ferry down from Genoa to save the long drive. but as for mobility when there and reliable weather, Spain really takes some beating...

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm curious, why the OP doesn't mention France or Germany as a destination in themselves, and complains about sites being "too far out" and PLEASE, don't turn this into another pro - plus Aire debate, but as my wife has Osteo and resulting walking difficulties, one of the delights for us is the use of French aires,and Stellplatz that unlike the vast majority of sites puts you right in the heart of things, so are ideal for folk with walking difficulties and one of the major reasons we use them as opposed to sites apart from the odd municipal that on many occasions are in similarly good locations . ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-02 7:51 AM

I'm curious, why the OP doesn't mention France or Germany as a destination in themselves, and complains about sites being "too far out" and PLEASE, don't turn this into another pro - plus Aire debate, but as my wife has Osteo and resulting walking difficulties, one of the delights for us is the use of French aires,and Stellplatz that unlike the vast majority of sites puts you right in the heart of things, so are ideal for folk with walking difficulties . ;-)

Very true Mike, this is one of the big plusses for aires and is often referred to by Robert and Jean as one of their likes over the location of some sites. An alternative might be local Mumicipal sites which tend to be nearer town centres than commercial ones.

Im not sure what size van the OP has, but this might be reason to consider something that is smaller and can get into town and park up. I see he mentioned towimg so i would imagine that the current van is largish? Just another thought.

Guest JudgeMental
Horse probably enjoys a change in the weather patterns, from what northern europe tends to dish out most of the time *-)

Archived