citroen - Fiat

Guest JudgeMental

Peter James - 2013-11-28 2:37 PM

All these new fangled things like Dual Mass flywheel and computerised engine management are an expensive pain if they go wrong. But they are what makes modern diesels run so much better than old diesels

I think we have to remember that Campervans and Motorhomes are based on commercial vehicles, and as such are rather more "disposable" than cars. They are usually "purchased" or funded by some sort of leasing deal, which is just fuelling the regular replacement and continued manufacture of more and more sophisticated vehicles.

The problems arise when a leisure user buys one (either new, or used) and has problems that commercial users rarely experience.

Best advice whether new or used has to be "buyer beware". This is an expensive hobby, but that's what it is, (full-timers may disagree) .

As vehicles become ever more sophisticated maybe we have to think more carefully about how long we keep a van, and what we expect it to be worth when we sell?

regards

alan b

Having owned a Euro 4 version of each engine, the Fiat 2.3 in a coachbuilt and the Peugeot 2.2 in a panel van I do have to say that my perception is that the Peugeot 2.2 engine feels smoother and quieter at all revs but that the Fiat 2.3 felt more torquey from low revs if a little more rattly and harsh, but either engine would be fine in any van as both have enough power and torque for all normal use in either pvc or coachbuilt.

Engines vary from van to van and some are quiet and some are not for no apparent reason. Perhaps sound insulation levels differ?

Never driven a Euro 5 and neither will I until the technology and it's ramifications for the end user - remember him - he's the one who picks up the tab for the maker's use of the owner as it's test and development programme.

JudgeMental - 2013-11-29 3:38 PM
Steve928 - 2013-11-29 3:26 PMThey might be saying that the Citroen is the rougher at tickover while the Fiat becomes the noisier 'even under 4000rpm'. Do you have the original German text?

Yes that makes sense Steve

After 3,000 Km last year in a Karmann Dexter with a Fiat 3.0 multi jet + Comfortmatic and 5,000 km this year in our new WildAx Aurora with the Citroen 2.2 HDi 130 + 6 speed Manual, I would agree with Steve as well. The Citroen is a little noisier at startup and idle but is very smooth on the go. The Fiat is not as noisy at startup and idle but was noisier at higher revs. Fuel consumption of the Fiat was better but the Karmann didn't have an awning adding to the drag factor and we did most of our driving on motorways in the Karman (due to it being only a 5 week trip). This year we spent 5 months away mainly on A & B roads - (90 > 70> 50> Roundabout > 90 > 70 > 50 Roundabout). So the fuel consumption was worse. But not excessively so.

Guest JudgeMental
Has been an interesting thread and recent contributions plus some details from online german reviews seem to support what most of you have said. I now feel I have a fair idea as to the difference between the two brands... even though they look more or less identical they are different. I would still rather stick with Fiat to be honest weighing everything up..but would consider citreon if the deal was to good to turn down.....

Guest JudgeMental
Just a minute...thinking back.....my 2007 ford based Euramobil, was a 2.2 I think..was pretty rough compared to the Fiat.. Is this the same unit as Citroen? *-) I suppose engine has to work harder in a CB then in a van....

Our Hobby was definitely the 2.2 litre Puma engine, 130PS, FWD. It "barked" a bit when it was new, and when it was cold. Gradually that subsided as the miles went by, though it tended to return when the engine was being stressed. However, even this diminished with increasing mileage.

We sold it at a bit over 30K miles, by which time the harshness had more or less disappeared under all driving conditions. Engine noise was only dominant when cruising on very smooth tarmac, or when it was "working". Otherwise, tyre noise was more prominent. Conversation was easy at 60 - 65 MPH, and above.

I reckon it takes about 20 - 25K miles to see one of these diesels run in, and I think the harsher exhaust note is due to higher friction when the engine has to work harder and gets hotter. The Fiat engine in the Hymer seems to be heading the same way, and has already quietened a bit over the first 3,000 miles. It is a different note, in a different bodyshell, but I would not say significantly different in volume.

The previous 146PS 2.8 jtd in our 2005 Burstner was much more "agricultural" by comparison, but still quite reasonable. The 2.3 jtd we hired before buying, on the other hand, just woofled along. Quiet, smooth, and always sounded as though there were at least two more cylinders than the four it really had. I don't think any of them would give you a headache on a day's drive.

Guest JudgeMental

Agree....agricultural as a description of the 2.8 a bit to kind to be honest..I though it awful but was totally dispassionate about it as it was not mine, but a no fault insurance arranged hire van for a month in Spain...

Yes mine was the same 130 2.2 engine the fiat 2.3 a real improvement to be honest, far quieter but then it was in an over cab coach built.all I know is conversations and listening to music seems more civilised in the fiat.

Archived