Noise due to rain or hail on roof

eaglehaslanded

Guest Had Enough
eaglehaslanded - 2013-11-26 5:21 PM

We have a Hymer 614 and if we are caught out in bad weather the noise on the roof disturbs my sleep patterns. Does anyone else suffer this problem and is there anything on the market to reduce the noise level?

Ear plugs would be the simplest remedy.

Guest JudgeMental

ear plugs or park under a bridge :D

personally would be more concerned regards Hail damage to van roof...hope you have the GRP option and not Aluminium..lots of hail damaged vans turn up for sale and its not a cheap fix. that being said surely hail not that frequent an occurrence....

Guest pelmetman

Its normally wind that wakes my Mrs :-S............................

and its her choking that wakes me :D..........................

Guest Had Enough
johnnerontheroad - 2013-11-26 5:53 PM

Tell me this is not a serious question it can't be 8-)

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another new poster suddenly pop up with a revolutionary roof coating which will deaden all sound!

Guest 1footinthegrave
eaglehaslanded - 2013-11-26 5:21 PM

We have a Hymer 614 and if we are caught out in bad weather the noise on the roof disturbs my sleep patterns. Does anyone else suffer this problem and is there anything on the market to reduce the noise level?

Ear plugs. ;-) :D

Wait till it's a dog barking all night..........................................shotgun ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-11-26 5:42 PM

Its normally wind that wakes my Mrs :-S............................

and its her choking that wakes me :D..........................

Brilliant...............................but you shouldn't hold her head under the covers you know. :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-26 6:17 PM
eaglehaslanded - 2013-11-26 5:21 PMWe have a Hymer 614 and if we are caught out in bad weather the noise on the roof disturbs my sleep patterns. Does anyone else suffer this problem and is there anything on the market to reduce the noise level?
Ear plugs. ;-) :D Wait till it's a dog barking all night..........................................shotgun ;-)

I'll second this comment and add..........use both barrels to make sure  :-)

Guest pelmetman
fjmike - 2013-11-26 7:03 PM

There has been several vans that have a rubberised roof , I always assumed this was to deaden the noise . Perhaps I was wrong :-S

I have followed a couple of campers around France that appeared to have some kinda professional aftermarket roof covering fitted ;-)..............I could never decide whether they were for insulation or weather protection? :-S

A couple of years back Frankia had, in their accessories list, a roof shade to keep the rain from bouncing off the roof and to keep the 'van cooler in hot weather. It looked like an Omnistor awning mounted on 1 edge of the roof which could be drawn across the roof.

It doesn't appear in their current brochure - I doubt they had too many takers.

Frankkia - 2013-11-26 8:37 PM

A couple of years back Frankia had, in their accessories list, a roof shade to keep the rain from bouncing off the roof and to keep the 'van cooler in hot weather. It looked like an Omnistor awning mounted on 1 edge of the roof which could be drawn across the roof.

Funnily enough that was the thing I was thinking of suggesting!!! :D

Guest JudgeMental
Frankkia - 2013-11-26 8:37 PM

I think they are metal....these roofs pretty common on German winterised caravans, anyyou see a lot of them in Spain

Had Enough - 2013-11-26 5:56 PM

johnnerontheroad - 2013-11-26 5:53 PM

Tell me this is not a serious question it can't be 8-)

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another new poster suddenly pop up with a revolutionary roof coating which will deaden all sound!

Funny you should say that - PEANUT BUTTER. A 1 inch thick coating over the roof works wonders. Only lasts about 2 weeks, but the resultant guano (free!) is just as good. :D

candapack - 2013-11-26 9:12 PM

Funny you should say that - PEANUT BUTTER. A 1 inch thick coating over the roof works wonders. Only lasts about 2 weeks, but the resultant guano (free!) is just as good. :D

Brilliant idea - please, please, tell us you know it works because you've tried it, but perhaps had you spent a month in the Sahara to bake the guano hard enough to be hail proof it would last longer?

One of the wonders of the forum are wonderful tips like this!

pelmetman - 2013-11-26 7:14 PM

I have followed a couple of campers around France that appeared to have some kinda professional aftermarket roof covering fitted ;-)..............I could never decide whether they were for insulation or weather protection? :-S

This kind of stuff perhaps, for hail protection:

Archived