Cycle Carriers - Anyway to lock them?

Fiat Ducato

Hi everyone

We have a Fiamma cycle carrier that attaches to our motorhome on the rear, with clips and pins that hold it one. We are on our fist motorhome so newbies to all this. Just wondered if anyone knows if there is any kind of way to lock the cycle carrier to the motorhome as I'm not sure I would trust this system if we were to lock our bikes on the carrier and then go off somewhere, who's to say that potential thievs wouldn't just take the whole carrier off, very easy to do and fairly quick with all the bikes on it.

Been looking if there is any kind of system or special lock with keys that securely lock your carrier to your motorhome.

Any comments advice or feedback is very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

A friend had the same problem he put a good quality padlock through the pin hole not sure if he had to drill the hole out a bit larger.

Bear in mind anyone who really wants to nick the bikes will get them any way whatever you they will just do more damage getting them best you can hope for is to deter the casual thief.

Lenny, agreed. Just try and deter the casual toe-rag who is up for a quick getaway.....on your bike.

The supports are aluminium and can be. Cut with a hand saw let alone the power tools that some thieves employ. If the want it, they will get it, deter the opportunist......oh, and get insured ;-)

Edit to add, there are some chassis mounted racks which are much stronger, and heavier, which may prove more secure.

Guest JudgeMental

have you a van or CB?*-)

and if they are insured they are not covered on a rack as most insurance companies stipulate " secured to an immovable object"

we lock bikes to each other and to rack wit quality locks and chains...then use kryptonite cables looped through the bikes and padlocked to rear tow eye under bumper (chain to long and heavy for this) use a cover also....its a real PITA but still have the bikes :-S

Fiat Ducato - 2013-11-27 9:11 AM

Hi everyone

We have a Fiamma cycle carrier that attaches to our motorhome on the rear, with clips and pins that hold it one. We are on our fist motorhome so newbies to all this./QUOTE]

Hi Paul,

It sounds as though your van is a panel van.

We have a Peugeot Boxer and used to have the sort of bike rack you describe. All was fine for over 3 years then I noticed that the off-side door was bent at the inner edge by the top "clip" of the bike rack. Some other people have had the same problem and it was featured in an edition of MMM. It has also been reported on this forum . We chose to have the van repaired by a Peugeot authorized body shop and it was very expensive (but preserved the anti-perforation warranty). I'm not trying to scare you just making you aware of a possible problem.

We didn't want to risk the same thing happening so replaced our conventional bikes with folding bikes in bags which we can transport in the van and store in the cab when on site.

As regards judgemental's comment about insurance , it is worth checking with your household contents insurance company. We are with Prudential who cover the bikes anywhere in the EU as long as the bikes are locked. (There is no mention of them having to be locked to an immovable object.)

Fiat Ducato - 2013-11-27 9:11 AM

Hi everyone

We have a Fiamma cycle carrier that attaches to our motorhome on the rear, with clips and pins that hold it one. We are on our fist motorhome so newbies to all this. Just wondered if anyone knows if there is any kind of way to lock the cycle carrier to the motorhome as I'm not sure I would trust this system if we were to lock our bikes on the carrier and then go off somewhere, who's to say that potential thievs wouldn't just take the whole carrier off, very easy to do and fairly quick with all the bikes on it.

Been looking if there is any kind of system or special lock with keys that securely lock your carrier to your motorhome.

Any comments advice or feedback is very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

We were the same when we first started MHing after a while we realised that if they were locked to the bike rack it would need someone with determination to nick them and if they were determined nothing you could do would stop them so we don't worry any more.

If we are parked overnight where we feel a little vulnerable we have a extension to the alarm that threads through the bikes and rack and if cut sets the alarm off. Doesn't stop them pinching them but lets us know they are doing it. I have seen a van with a steel cable locking the whole lot to the chassis behind the rear bumper.

Just try and enjoy your motorhoming, life is to short to let low life make you worry every time you park up.

WE have a rising bike rack. I am not saying that it would not be possible to steal the bikes off it, but it would be more difficult. The rack when raised is above head height. The bikes are locked on with a wire loop and a heavy cable bike lock. The guarantee on the heavy cable lock says that if the bikes are stolen the manufacturer will replace the bikes. We also cover the bikes and the Alarm cable from the M/home goes through the wheels and frames. Cut it or unplug it and the main Alarm sounds off. If its a good enough for the M/home then its good enough for the bikes.

Guest JudgeMental
honestly..... some have no idea how desperate a determined thief can be... they can pull a rack with bikes on, of a van with bare hands.

Archived