Waeco Fridge Ambient Temerature Modification

Chris B

I know this was discussed in March and thought this info might be helpful to others.

Our Waeco fridge suffered with cold ambient temperatures which allowed the freezer to defrost especially at night..

As stated in the previous discussion the fridge is rated to work in ambient temperatures of +16 to +40C. Not often we get these temperatures in the UK.

I complained to Swift that the fridge was "not fit for purpose". This resulted in a Dometic engineer being dispatched to my house to fit extra insulation behind the fridge. Result - No difference.

The fridge was then returned to Dometic who fitted a modification which apparently involved the fitting of a new thermostat in a new position. Result - the fridge now works well in all temperatures. :->

That's very interesting Chris, as we don't use ours over winter, we haven't had the problem :-S but it does make you wonder !! why the heck didn't they do this modification in the first place? they should do a recall, its sods law that after the van is out of warranty we might have a problem.

I would suggest everyone checks to see if theirs is affected. After the engineer put in more insulation he asked me to check the results by waiting for a cold night to be forecast and them putting an ice cube tray full of water in the freezer and leave it overnight with the fridge turned on and set at 3 or 4. Next morning this should be frozen solid. Ours was only partly frozen and was melting around the edges. we only discovered the problem because we loaded the fridge the night before going away and when we added more frozen food the following day the food put in the night before was starting to De-frost.

Archived