Damp problem in new van

badger56

I have a Auto-trail tracker FB 2013 model which was in for the first habitation service yesterday and has a major damp problem in both side walls just behind the cab.I know that Auto-trail have a 10 year body warranty and the repairs will be carrie out under this warranty ,but should I be concerned over any future problem as the van is less than a year old and you would not expect this level of damp so soon.I am worried that this may become a long term problem and wonder if anyone has any comments, i.e. should I let my dealer arrange for the repairs or should I look at other options. The dealer is confident that they can do the repair and I have always had a good relationship with them and they think they would need the van for about a month. Any comments please.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's bad news, I feel for you

Trying to put a positive angle on it, it might just be possible they are getting an erroneous reading?

For a start I would seek a second independent opinion, and if they concur, you will also have further unbiased proof to reinforce your position with the supplying dealer and Autotrail.

I would not expect ANY level of damp at ANY time, and certainly not within 12 months.

Personally I could never accept that this could be fixed, and not come back to haunt you.

If the dealer is 'confident' he can undertake the repair, I would assume that he has an idea where the problem lies - I'd ask the question, it could be that there are some inherent issues with that model, which might just be a precursor for future woes, or a relatively simple fix.

If you do have ingress at such an early stage, then I would have to agree with the Judge - throw it back at them and demand a replacement or refund.

I'm really sorry that you find yourself in this predicament but you simply should not accept shoddy workmanship - and be prepared to tough it out with them.

As I said in a recent post - the quality and construction methods of many [primarily british] builders are really nothing short of criminal. I'm afraid too many people get taken in by the 'bling' factor and just don't delve deep enough into the construction method or execution.

Personally I would never buy a British coach-built van, and that's a shame really.

You say it's a major problem and in two separate areas of the van, I personally do think I would trust a repair totally curing the problem. Water transverses through the foam insulation so you can never be sure it has been completely fixed, a few years later you may find damp in another area some distance away and it's still related to the original fault..

I agree with Mike I would never buy a British built CB van I have been bitten in the past with British built caravans.

They can easily call you and say job done ... after putting a heater inside for the time you said (one month) Not a good comment on a new vehicle.

PS not being familiar with that model I Googled a picture ... that to me means everything behind the cab ... EVERTHING

It sounds to me like the cab has not been joined to the coachbuilt body correctly and water is being forced into the gap when driving. Like others have stated I would be uncomfortable with any repair as unless the body and cab are separated and re-joined, this is likely to re occur.

The manufacturer will no doubt complete repairs and re-extend the Warranty which leaves you with a bit of a poor choice. Proving it is then not fit for purpose, could be difficult, unless it re-occurs fairly quickly. Maybe it all works, maybe not. I think if it was me I would be trading it in for a new model as soon as possible.

Whilst accepting that the ultimate responsibility under the sale of goods act lies with the supplying dealer, my own inclination would be to speak to the factory who do, anecdotally at least, seem to have a keen interest in customer satisfaction.

They also have the facility to undertake repairs and where better than the place where it was made?

As for all those knockers of UK made vans - well they just love to justify buying foreign don't they!

Take no notice for they know not what they doeth to destroy the confidence of others!!

So many owners of whatever vehicle seem very biased in their views - until they change it and all the short comings of the 'perfect van' gradually appear over time as they seek to justify their latest 'best van on the market'!

And anyone who spells out the shortcomings and reasons to change gets castigated for making the wrong choice in the first place!

C'est la vie - twas ever thus!

I would suggest that the van may be to old to reject, but maybe not, it depends on what case law you read.

"Honest John" sets it all out here and it's worth reading http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

As regards repair, I would also insist that the factory do the repair. They have the parts tools and experience to do a proper job. then again it was the factory who cocked it up when they built it.

If the van were mine, I would get it fixed and then trade it in for a German built one.

The British car industry went down the pan because they couldn't (or wouldn't) produce quality cars, it looks like the motorhome industry is doing it's best to follow suit.

H

Geoff, I can't see how they can argue it's too old to reject. First hab service is the earliest opportunity to discover a fault like this, unless a buyer is expected to get a damp test done immediately after taking delivery! What would THAT be saying about the quality of their product???

Paul, I'm with Eddie (Judgemental) on this. Get your money back and start again, otherwise you'll always be wondering if it'll leak again.

I would insist the factory does the job and also insist that you are provided with a written report confirming that the point where water is entering the van is also identified and rectified.

I know from bitter experience that repairing a damp patch is unsatisfactory if attention is not given to where the water has originated. Damp will always sink to its lowest level so finding the source of the problem is often very difficult.

I would be very surprised if you could reject the motorhome under the Sale of Goods Act without giving the dealer the opportunity to correct the fault.

The link provided by by Geoff to 'Honest John' leads to advice which contains the following relating to a car:

You have to invoke the Sale of Goods Act 1979 Part II Section 14, as modified by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, subsequently modified by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994, contending that the supplier is in breach of contract to you for supplying a car which was not "of satisfactory quality", or did not remain so for a reasonable period of time. Appeal Court Case law (Bernstein v Palmerston Motors 1987) has held that the supplier must be given three chances to rectify the fault for which the goods are rejected and must have failed to do so.

I suggest you read the article in full and consider whether the Trading Standards and CAB can provide you with further advice.

Unfortunately, AutoTrail has had a spell of dissatisfied customers with build quality over the last few years. I suggest you search forums that provide insight on the pros and cons of AutoTrail products such as the Auto-Trail Owners Club.

Auto-Trail failed to build the van correctly in the first place so only you can decide whether it or the dealer will do a better job. Perhaps letting us know the dealer may illicit some responses on the forum.

I am one of those who will not buy a British motorhome. Three Brit vans since 1995 and all three had damp problems and other build quality issues. Three German vans since then - the third bought only a few months ago - and no damp.

I presume that Auto-Trai continue to build vans with wooden framework and styrofoam insulation. Both wood and styrofoam are conduits for damp so once water gets in, it can travel a long way. Hymer and Niesmann & Bischoff use polyurethane which has a much higher resistance to water and thus less likely to suffer from damp. That's why they are expensive.

There are many satisfied Auto-Trail customers driving around in a dry van so don't despair. The problem has been identified early, there is a willingness to correct the problem, and presumably you still like the van. If all else fails, look at the German vans or a Panel Van Conversion to see if they suit.

Guest Peter James
globebuster - 2013-11-29 3:02 PM

I would not expect ANY level of damp at ANY time,

Its not that straightforward. There is always some damp in the air around us even when it isn't raining. Look at the Relative Humidity in the weather forecast for Autotrails factory (Grimsby). Its been showing bright sunshine but the relative humidity is still 71% http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/grimsby-north-east-lincolnshire#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1385683200 So there will be some damp inside the walls. How much damp there should be is debatable - even if you could measure it accurately, which you can't.

Brock - 2013-11-29 4:31 PM

I presume that Auto-Trai continue to build vans with wooden framework and styrofoam insulation. Both wood and styrofoam are conduits for damp so once water gets in, it can travel a long way. Hymer and Niesmann & Bischoff use polyurethane which has a much higher resistance to water and thus less likely to suffer from damp. That's why they are expensive.

Damn, that's Frankia (styrofoam) and Carthago (polystyrene) off my list then!

These cheap vans eh! :-D

frankia.JPG.69ebc23e74c67fdee0a163adf24a3684.JPG

carthago.JPG.3ff5173844a3a931262aa2406e9924a0.JPG

badger56 - 2013-11-29 4:50 PM

Thanks to all of you. I now have a lot to think about. My next problem will be getting anything sorted before

9th February when I have the ferry to Spain booked. Cheers pepe63 for suggesting this forum.

In which case you need to be all over the supplier like a rash as, i seem to remember, these factories still have seasonal holidays and time is short.

Good luck.

Does it matter if the problem is not sorted until after your holiday as long as it is recognised and accepted by the manufacturer and dealer as a warranty issue to be resolved upon your return?

Have you spoken to Auto Trail yet to get their response and suggestions?

I think most people understood my statement regarding ANY damp, but just in case -

Let me re-phrase it. In the context of showing an excessive moisture reading in relation to other areas being inspected as part of the habitation check.

I doubt very much if the prevailing weather or relative humidity in Grimsby is anything like that in a controlled factory environment!

For keeping an eye / investigating / verifying the damp, you could get a cheap damp meter like;

I have a Rapitest Damp Test Meter which can be found in most DIY stores / R Dyas etc.

Does not need to be sophisticated (unless you want to investigate kiln dried timber) . My experience in using the damp meter is that things are either damp or dry. Not much in between ! (Others may disagree :D )

Rgds

Archived