Damp problem in new van

badger56

My 'New' Autotrail had a 'Gel-Crack' problem, ie. the joint between Overpod and Cab had a crack which was spreading.

I had a Choice, I could take it to the Autotrail Factory workshop, which isn't the production line, but a separate Facility, and had I lived closer, I would have taken it there. But my nearest Dealer did the job, very well, and I am satisfied. This vehicle has a Ten year bodywork integerity warranty, and I am assured that any Damp problems will be taken care of should they show up, during the habitation checks.

I agree that faults shouldn't occur, but they do, No matter where they are manufactured.

I am still happy with MY Autotrail.

If you are REALLY worried,I would get the work done at the 'Factory Workshop', and push for an extension on the warranty. Ray

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2013-11-29 10:13 PM

Engage your brain for heavens sake! There is no old fashioned heavy wood and screw constriction in either van above *-)

Read the post - it said Styrofoam. Engage your Brain for Heaven's sake ;-)

A lot of helpful advice given in this thread but one thing that is essential for the OP to be successful in his quest to have problems rectified is to have some knowledge of the cause of the problem. As always in these situations to have the knowledge is to have the power. There is a possibility that a second opinion from an expert might arm the OP with the knowledge that gives him the power to move all parties in the right direction. It may of course be that a second opinion reveals nothing new.

As many have already said it's important that the source of the damp is accurately assessed as this will determine who might be in the best position to rectify the problem, dealer or manufacturer. There are many possibilities for the source of the damp some more easily dealt with than others. As far as Auto-Trail are concerned their construction does still entail a degree of natural timber in walls, floor and roof. Whilst the quality of the timber will be excellent, with minimal knots, it is still prone to movement and can in a limited number of cases be the reason for a seam or joint failing. I understand Auto-Trail still use timber and screws as its system for joining a large part of the floor, walls and roof to each other. Of course there are many other possible failures in the construction which could cause the problem.

I think it was Brian who said earlier that he would want to know chapter and verse where the construction had failed and what remedy was proposed for its repair. I think without this knowledge you are in a very weak position and have little power in directing events. Insist on a meeting with both the dealer and a representative from Auto-Trail and don't leave until you have all the knowledge necessary to understand the nature of the problem and its remedy. To have the knowledge is to have the power.

I think unless you've had a really serious problem with your van you don't realise the stress involved , and how galling it is when you've paid an extortionate amount for your pride and joy , but at least your dealer is being helpfull and when he's done the repairs they will still be under warranty for ten years as you bought the van new . And if you read some old threads on here you'll see it's not just British vans that have habitation problems anyhow good luck and hope you get it sorted pp

Guest Peter James
Pampam - 2013-12-01 6:11 AM

I think unless you've had a really serious problem with your van you don't realise the stress involved , and how galling it is when you've paid an extortionate amount for your pride and joy , but at least your dealer is being helpfull and when he's done the repairs they will still be under warranty for ten years as you bought the van new . And if you read some old threads on here you'll see it's not just British vans that have habitation problems anyhow good luck and hope you get it sorted pp

I can see its stressful, and probably more so with a foreign van. If I found a problem I would far rather be dealing with Autotrail in Grimsby than anybody in Germany.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Absolutely correct, the OP no doubt in part had his purchase decision influenced by a ten years warranty, I absolutely guarantee he would never have thought he would be put in the position he has been after such a short time, and after all we are not talking a broken Window catch here. It also may have been said, but should he accept a repair if it was me I would want in chapter and verse what the implications would be if further problems arise.

Assuming I have the correct picture the cab and body jointing at the front does appear to be one where rain water can be driven up and into a join line with greater pressure. I cannot imagine any sea fairing designer would consider this satisfactory.

hhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg.e652d38c936f6674471231c3d8e31780.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
No surprises here then.....what will probably happen is what most of you would put up with, and accept what you are given!lol Its like an abuse victim going back to the abuser for more abuse!...and half of you have not the gumption but to put up with this kind of treatment...really astonishing stuff....

Will85 - 2013-12-01 9:54 AM

Assuming I have the correct picture the cab and body jointing at the front does appear to be one where rain water can be driven up and into a join line with greater pressure. I cannot imagine any sea fairing designer would consider this satisfactory.

This the exact point where my 'Gel Crack' occured , on the join between 'overpod' and Cab metalwork directly above the front edge of the passenger door, And you are correct, water was being forced in through the crack, which spread in a similar way to a crack in a Windscreen. I now check the repair VERY carefully for any re-occurance. But so far it is looking good. The 10 Year warranty gradually involves more and more of a 'contribution' from the owner, as the years progress, after the first 3. which are 'comprehensive' (or near enough). I would not now buy ANY van, that didn't have a 10 year warranty. Where-ever it was built. Ray

In defence of the Autotrail Design, Most C/B's have simiar joints betwixt Fibreglass and Steel.

I would have posted pictures 'before and after' but they are very large files, and i am not clever enough to make them small enough to post.

Regarding pictures, download Picasa its free and is ideal for picture cropping and reducing the size plus other variations, you can reduce a picture from say 3MB to 14kb easily as my last picture, then transfer it to these pages.

Regarding this front joint on a number of vans, it must be nigh impossible to prevent movement between the two parts plus, I presume the secret is to duct the inflowing water to the outside somewhere.

Only recently someone posted a picture where gallons of water were cascading out from the inside front.

One wonders if the designers actually own them, its a bit like high rise apartments where the designers never live in them.

Guest Peter James
Will85 - 2013-12-01 9:54 AM

I cannot imagine any sea fairing designer would consider this satisfactory.

are you thinking of turning it upside down and going to sea in it (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-12-01 12:01 PM

No surprises here then.....what will probably happen is what most of you would put up with, and accept what you are given!lol Its like an abuse victim going back to the abuser for more abuse!...and half of you have not the gumption but to put up with this kind of treatment...really astonishing stuff....

And this from the owner of a quality marque.

It appears that water running down the side of the van is getting under the skirt and then has no where to go, it then soaks into the wood work under the van on the edge of the van floor.

Looks like it could be expensive. :-(

His van was a Burstner, and when researching our new ( second hand van ) there are reports of water ingress, so come one Eddie it doesn't just happen to British vans.

BUT I do agree with your original reply.........get shot of it !

Peter James - 2013-12-01 6:47 AM

Pampam - 2013-12-01 6:11 AM

I can see its stressful, and probably more so with a foreign van. If I found a problem I would far rather be dealing with Autotrail in Grimsby than anybody in Germany.

Very true. We met an owner of a well known German manufactured van (make starts Del--------) and you wouldn't believe the problems he had made worse by the need to get successive spares shipped in from Germany. Some years ago we met a Hymer owner who had suffered a rear end shunt which put the motorhome off the road for months.

Peter James - 2013-12-01 1:30 PM

You can avoid this joint by buying an A Class. But it costs more.

Does anyone have a better solution (?)

But then again a replacement wind screen would cost a fortune and take some time to obtain never mind the problems if you suffered even minor damage to the front end. The there's the £1,000 it would cost for a replacement Hymer headlight!

Peter James - 2013-11-30 6:22 PM

Brian Kirby - 2013-11-30 4:44 PM

Peter, if you look at what I've said, recourse to the law is plan C (the last resort).

This is the bit I read;

Brian Kirby - 2013-11-30 3:00 PM

First course of action, take the legal advice.

As far as I can see, it looks like Autotrail are prepared to honour their obligations. In which case legal advice is as superfluous as another damp test, (and therefore you couldn't expect Autotrail to pay for it)

Yes, I agree, Peter. I'm afraid I was unclear. I did not mean consult a solicitor, but to get the general advice on how to proceed from Citizen's Advice or Trading Standards. So that the OP knows where he stands, and how to retain his legal position before proceeding any further with dealer or AT. After all, the van must have cost in the region of £K50, so a lot is at stake were it all to go wrong.

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2013-12-01 11:02 PM

Peter James - 2013-11-30 6:22 PM

Brian Kirby - 2013-11-30 4:44 PM

Peter, if you look at what I've said, recourse to the law is plan C (the last resort).

This is the bit I read;

Brian Kirby - 2013-11-30 3:00 PM

First course of action, take the legal advice.

As far as I can see, it looks like Autotrail are prepared to honour their obligations. In which case legal advice is as superfluous as another damp test, (and therefore you couldn't expect Autotrail to pay for it)

Yes, I agree, Peter. I'm afraid I was unclear. I did not mean consult a solicitor, but to get the general advice on how to proceed from Citizen's Advice or Trading Standards. So that the OP knows where he stands, and how to retain his legal position before proceeding any further with dealer or AT. After all, the van must have cost in the region of £K50, so a lot is at stake were it all to go wrong.

Thanks for clarifying it Brian, you are a Gentleman.

But apparently these days Citizens Advice are swamped with people who have had their benefits taken away and are destitute. So I doubt if they would have much time for someone comlaining about a £50k 'toy'. Trading Standards sounds a better bet.

Peter James - 2013-12-01 11:28 PM.................Thanks for clarifying it Brian, you are a Gentleman.

But apparently these days Citizens Advice are swamped with people who have had their benefits taken away and are destitute. So I doubt if they would have much time for someone comlaining about a £50k 'toy'. Trading Standards sounds a better bet.

Thank you Peter. I aren't bin called on o'they afore (touches forelock :-D).

Problem with TS is just getting hold of someone! Whichever can be reached, I guess.

Being a member of the Auto-Trail owners club and the Motor caravanners club many friends are aware of the problems I've had to endure with not one but two new Auto-Trail motorhomes. I have owned three, the first a Merc 634 apart from a cracked shower tray was perfect and very well built. It spurred me on to buy another one which was a Fiat 3ltr Tracker. From day one I suffered with very bad water ingress in the nearside over cab area caused so I was told by an ill fitting over cab window. The damp never went away, when I took it to the factory I was told that they were aware of a problem with that model due to a vertical joint from the main body to the over cab area. Eventually I traded it in for another new Auto-Trail Apache 634 thinking that my water ingress problems were behind me. Wrong, they were back with a vengeance. During ownership that motorhome did over 6,000 miles travelling backwards and forwards to the factory for various things to be put right, mainly the dreaded water ingress. I can't begin to measure the amount of personal stress I have suffered but the financial loss has been immense.

Archived