Euro 5 Fiat -- Keys

bobalobs

Help please if you have a recent Fiat. The dealer seems to be saying that the latest vans only come with one ignition/doorlock key. Surely a spare key is also supplied? Our 2010 van has as standard a key with a remote incorporated and a second key without remote which has to be put in the drivers lock to open the doors.Sounds like a misunderstanding unless a second key is an optional extra!!

I have a Euro5 Fiat, it was supplied with 2 ignition keys, 1 had a remote built in, the other did not, but still has the transponder, and operates the ignition, but you have to manually open the cab doors with it. Sounds the same as you ? as an aside this key also opens the Fuel Filler cap. So be careful with it. (I bought a seperate lockable fuel cap, so that the key does'nt fit the ignition, I know, it's protected by the immobiliser, but i'm a 'Belt and braces' man.) The remote opens the cab and habitation doors/ and locks them of course. Ray

w1ntersun - 2013-11-30 11:59 AM

There should be two keys , one plain and the other a remote. I lost my remote in Spain ( had the Spare though )

Fiat have quoted £315 for a replacement

Richard

Try Timpsons, they can do the manual key, not qure of remote key.

Frankkia - 2013-11-30 4:26 PM

Some manufacturers hang on to the spare key and some documents which are sent on when they have been paid by the supplying dealer.

For what Purpose ? If the dealer sells the vehicle, to whom does the manufacturer send the Second key and 'Documents' ? the Dealer or the Purchaser ? Are you suggesting that we should 'cut out the Dealer' ? who might not be be the Legal owner ?? where does this leave the purchasers ? Ray

It depends, I believe, on the relationship between the dealer and the manufacturer. Some dealers merely pass on your deposit to the manufacturer when you order the 'van and then pay the balance when you pay. In those circumstances the spare key and the documents are sent to the dealer to pass on to you when they arrive.

This, I am told, is a fairly common practice, particularly on the continent, where the dealership is small. At one time there were 2 keys and a key card - again the key card was often retained by the manufacturer pending full payment.

Many dealers buy 'vans to use as demonstrators others have them on a sale or return basis.

I don't see where I suggested anyone should cut out the middle man - It would be unlikely that the manufacturers would let you do it anyway.

The OP should ask if the reason is that the spare is held by the manufacturer as has been stated above the vehicle should be supplied with 2 keys not just the 1 offered.

We have a 2012 Autocruise Accent on a Fiat base, it came with a remote control key and a standard key, earlier this year we decided to buy a second remote key as we didn't fancy being 'stranded' abroad if something happend to the original remote key and/or have to use the basic key only. So we got one from Fiat at a cost of around £250 including the coding, you cannot get these anywhere else, only Fiat can supply the remote fob and code it, so if you want one you have to 'gulp' and pay up as we did I'm afraid.

As for your dealer - you SHOULD get a remote key AND a standard key, if they are trying to say you only get one key in total they are talking b*llocks! :D

Archived