First timers on French toll road - error!

JonMac46

The other day we approached the A10 toll booth North of Bordeaux. We were focused on

not entering a booth that was Telepeage only.

We didn't recognise the symbol for 2 metre height limit... .

You can guess the rest - height barrier slowly swung back out of the way; consternation

by the attendant, etc..

We had to go to the office and fill out their form for insurance cover for accidental damage

to the mechanism [bad design?].

Bottom line - to be safe enter one with a green arrow.

That's a bit harsh Will.

It's a brave driver amongst us that reckons to have never been confused by some of the seemingly daft symbols used on road signage, be it in the UK or abroad?

It is all too easy to get in the wrong lane sometimes and whilst we may all smile about it afterwards it is not so humourous at the time - especially when an impatient horn blowing, arm waving, backlog builds up behind you and you simply don't know what to do to escape the situation.

We just do as the French do - shrug your shoulders, open your hands in disbelief and pull a face, then smile and wait for someone to come and assist!

It was meant to be a humorous jaunt at a friend from Limerick so I hope he's not too miffed at it, I had thought of a limerik to Limerick might suffice so ...

At the toll was a bright green arrow

But it looked a little too narrow.

So he turned to the right

but forgot the low height.

Now the bits only fit in a barrow.

Guest JudgeMental
I had an incident and slightly damaged the overcab on our CB on the M4 toll bridge crossing into wales....these things happen. french supermarket fuel stations I also found difficult...much happier with a van conversion these days. When approaching french tolls, dont feel like you have to keep up with car traffic speed, just slow down and choose the right gate.....Easier said than done sometimes :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-12-01 11:27 AM

I had an incident and slightly damaged the overcab on our CB on the M4 toll bridge crossing into wales....these things happen. french supermarket fuel stations ..........etc....... just slow down and choose the right gate.....Easier said than done sometimes :-D

And I'll add "Underpasses around Rouen" Now that would have been an insurance claim!!

We can all make bad split second decisions. Hope it turns out ok

regards

alan b

snowie - 2013-12-01 12:16 PM

And I'll add "Underpasses around Rouen" Now that would have been an insurance claim!!

We can all make bad split second decisions. Hope it turns out ok

regards

alan b

I will second that one!! There is a Sat Nav route from south to north round Rouen that is impossible to follow because of height restrictions and there is no (obvious) alternative route signposted. The warnings of the restriction are at the restriction with little, if any advance warning.

Had a similar experiance in Carcasson, following sat nav out of town, 20 meters from the low bridge under the railway was a sign saying 2.9meters. No previous warnings, and to cap it all, had my brother-in -law and family following behind, caused absolute mayhem. So it happens, just grin and bear the abuse from all around and put it down to life. We're not all perfect all the time.

Guest 1footinthegrave

A timely reminder for me as we have a low bridge here that my PVC used to sail through, albeit with not much room to spare...............must remember that with my change of van I'd end up with a convertible . :$

My golden rule once over the water is NEVER let anyone behind rush you ;-)

Quite why there would be a 2 metre height limit on a Peage booth I don't understand though. :-S

On a broader note I'm amazed some jobsworth in Brussels hasn't noticed us Brits drive on the wrong side of the road, and have not banned us from driving on H&S grounds. (!)

Another one to watch out for, Libourne.....Avenue Georges Clemenceau. This is the road to Bergerac/Perigeux when approaching from the west of Libourne. Take the bypass as the road narrows to 2.5mtrs to cross a railway bridge. I had to stop, explain to the locals what an idiot i was (they already knew!) and then get 5 or 6 cars to back up to allow be to extricate myself :$

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-02 8:07 AM

Quite why there would be a 2 metre height limit on a Peage booth I don't understand though. :-S

It's simply a matter of traffic-flow management/optimisation.

The majority of vehicles travelling on autoroutes will be classed as Catagory 1 - vehicle (or vehicle with trailer) with overall height under 2 metres and GVW not exceeding 3.5 tonnes.

Consequently, it's not unusual at toll-stations to have one or more lanes dedicated to Category 1 vehicles, with a 2-metre height barrier to exclude taller (hence not Category 1) traffic.

The photo on this webpage

http://blog.p2m-moto.fr/tarifs-des-autoroutes-et-peages-arnaque-collective-operationnelle-et-garantie/

shows three lanes at an autoroute toll-station that are dedicated to Category 1 traffic. Two of the lanes are for credit-card-payment only and the leftmost one is for Télépéage-only. All three lanes have 2m height-barriers that carry a warning notice for drivers of taller vehicles. Motorbikes/sidecars/trikes are also excluded as these fall into Category 5 (the cheapest tarif of all).

While it might be thought difficult to miss such barriers and warning notices, if a driver is unfamiliar with driving on autoroutes, unaware that toll-stations often include this type of traffic 'streaming', is faced with needing to choose between multiple lanes (eg. 8 lanes on the Millau Viaduct) and is concentrating on the high-level signage, the scenario that JonMac46 warns against can be better understood.

This thread on a French forum asks much the same question as yours (and includes the same photo from the piece I provided a link to):

http://www.forum-auto.com/automobile-pratique/securite/sujet389589.htm

It does expand somewhat on the issue, as it refers to vehicles with a height below 2m but carrying a roof-mounted 'load' (eg. bikes) that permit such a vehicle to still be classed as Category 1. Obviously (I would have thought) if one were driving a car with bikes on the roof that increase the overall height above 2m, one would just choose to use a lane with no height-barrier.

(It's interesting to note how the French thread suddenly develops into a spat between posters - makes one feel right at home!)

Guest 1footinthegrave
One thing I have noticed that seems universal on all forums is inevitably a spat breaks out, I was looking for some advice about TVs on one forum site and I'm convinced "Hadenough" was on there under another name, my daughter tells me similar spats appear on Mumsnet, go figure. :-S

Goodness what with badly signed toll booths, underpasses that spring up from nowhere, unsigned low bridges and fuel stations with canopies certain to take your roof of what is to be done? Even worse if you avoid all the said obstructions, then you may find yourself staying on one of those dreaded Aires and heaven forbid have to speak in French with the locals! No best bet is to avoid France altogether and either stay in the good old UK or head straight for Benidorm, if possible in a panel van.

Guest 1footinthegrave
With respect that is very unfair, I still remember my first time over the water, virtually everyone I've ever spoken to readily admits being out of their comfort zone, Traffic lights that suddenly turn Green, despite even now all traffic lights still having an Amber light, the dreaded priority a droite, and driving a vehicle on the other side of the road, some extremely confusing lane markings, not to mention traffic signs in a different language, some you've never seen before in your life, and yes the bloke taking the wrong lane at the toll booth on a peage when using one for the first time. I think we've all been there, apparently with just with the exception of you. :-S

Is the layout of the various categories, say reading from left to right, at all the peage stations the same? Not something I have noticed. Perhaps someone knows. I always feel a slight panic when approaching these multiple choice situations, and if they were standard layout it would help to know.

Neil B

They are not identical, but the general logic is heavy vehicles to the right, others centre, and Telepeages to the left. Then you have to spot the symbol of the little man with his hand out, accompanied by a green arrow to show the lane is open. The biggest pain are the fully automated booths, because the coin/note/card slots are either at the right height for cars (so too low for van windows) or the right height for HGVs (so too high for van windows). Then, once you are by the machines, if you can't reach either set of slots, you find it is virtually impossible to exit the van to feed it money/card, because there is insufficient width to open the cab doors. It can be fun - not! :-) How solo RHD van drivers fare goodness knows. Maybe Patricia will reveal her strategy!

Guest JudgeMental
robertandjean - 2013-12-02 5:44 PM

Goodness what with badly signed toll booths, underpasses that spring up from nowhere, unsigned low bridges and fuel stations with canopies certain to take your roof of what is to be done? Even worse if you avoid all the said obstructions, then you may find yourself staying on one of those dreaded Aires and heaven forbid have to speak in French with the locals! No best bet is to avoid France altogether and either stay in the good old UK or head straight for Benidorm, if possible in a panel van.

Sounds like a plan.....avoid like the plaque

My work is done...but in truth your to far up your own posteriors......with all your petty prejudices. Aired (get it :-D) at every opportunity......

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2013-12-02 7:21 PM

They are not identical, but the general logic is heavy vehicles to the right, others centre, and Telepeages to the left. Then you have to spot the symbol of the little man with his hand out, accompanied by a green arrow to show the lane is open. The biggest pain are the fully automated booths, because the coin/note/card slots are either at the right height for cars (so too low for van windows) or the right height for HGVs (so too high for van windows). Then, once you are by the machines, if you can't reach either set of slots, you find it is virtually impossible to exit the van to feed it money/card, because there is insufficient width to open the cab doors. It can be fun - not! :-) How solo RHD van drivers fare goodness knows. Maybe Patricia will reveal her strategy!

The height thing is annoying, easier with a van then a CB just to hop out and pay...probably a crime though!if yo use a credit card can usually pay without getting out.....

Spain far more civilised......campers class 1 and cheaper anyway, most are manned except for a few new stretches

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-12-02 7:49 PM

Spain far more civilised......

Got to agree with you there, look at all those Brits houses they are threatening to bull doze and those that they have, mind you as you showed little sympathy for the bloke with his year old leaking van, I doubt you've got any sympathy with them either........................you really should change the record, about Spain and Euro vans, I think we've all got the point by now ;-)

Telepeages works in any lane. Just drive in slowly and it works but not as quick as the express lane for cars.

Curtisden - 2013-12-03 10:59 PM

Telepeages works in any lane. Just drive in slowly and it works but not as quick as the express lane for cars.

Presumbly your "Telepeages works in any lane" advice applies only to lanes carrying the Telepeage symbol?

There's a lot of Telepeage-related information here:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/faq/support-Faq.List/#4.0.

Archived