Christmas Markets UK or Germany

enodreven

Hi, Looking for suggestions on Christmas Markets to Visit, just come back from a day at Bury St Edmunds which was great as usual, now tossing up whether to go to Lincoln or Germany and would welcome any recommendations and suggestions on places to visit and if possible places to stay.

Thanks

Brian

Guest 1footinthegrave
I believe there's a bit of a do at Chester race course, stop on the roodoo car park...............me I go to all of them from my front room. ;-) bah hum bug

Guest 1footinthegrave
My daughter is trying to drag us to Chester Christmas wonderland on the race course, I'd sooner knock six inch nails in my feet...............she says I'm a grumpy old git. :D

We have had a German Market here in Edinburgh for many years, but this year it has gone to Leicester as the Edinburgh Council were charging too much. Knowing the Council that does not surprise me.

However although the Market had lots of sausage and beer stalls the other stalls tended to sell the same items each year and the majority were made in China, as usual.

This year we are evidently getting local markets which hopefully will offer a better variety and more home grown stuff. I could never see the point of giving money to someone from Poland manning a 'German' stall with goods from the Far East.

A bit late now, as it's probably finished but a couple of weekends back we went down to the Victorian Christmas market in Gloucester and that was very good. ;-)

It's located down by the docks and has a festive farmer's market and craft fair feel about it...rather than just poundshop, Chinese tat!

(..although the... *cough*.."Eastern European" looking gent, who was supposedly carving a bowl, with a ruddy great hunting knife, made me laugh, as there wasn't a cat in hell's chance that he was producing the "craft items" on his stall...But...he was a big lad and with a big knife, so I wasn't going to be the one to challenge 'im on it! (lol))

The market isn't overly big(just right for us)but they have a small outdoor stage with musicians/bands playing and they had a good re-enactment/theatrical group, all costumed up and very much "in character", mixing with the crowd...

Although, we were there on the Friday afternoon, with the sun shinning...and sitting on the top deck of the double decker bus-bar, with a mug of mulled wine !.....so I don't know what it'd be like on a Saturday, rammed to the gunnels and peeing down with rain! (lol)

If doing them at all, we prefer the smaller, "localish" markets(Cheltenham, Cirencester, Worcester etc) We made the mistake of joining a group of our friends at Lincoln Christmas market a few years back...and what an horrendous afternoon that was!

*Pushing, shoving and getting herded around a "one-way system" like cattle!....Never, ever again!!

(* and that was only us lot, sorting out who was doing the driving! (lol) )

Guest JudgeMental

If they dont have hot Sarsaparilla forget it! I'll stick with east lane market thanks.....

wiki: "Baldwin's produce a Sarsaparilla Cordial in the UK, and have done since 1844. It is produced in Walworth Road, London and is readily available in Pie & Mash shops in the East End of London, where it is popular, as well as being available in the Supermarket Tesco."

malc d - 2013-12-01 12:38 PMI've never really understood the attraction of " Christmas " markets.To me they always look like any other market - but with coloured lights. ;-)
Those are my thoughts also,Christmas markets are a lot of hype in my oppinion, and we have been to many,apart from the beer and bratwurst the are not worth the bother.

So; for the OP's benefit. You will struggle to find a more beautiful setting than the Lincoln Xmas Market. The Cathedral, castle and Bailgate area. Some great real ale pubs and at the bottom of the hill, not called Steep Hill for nothing, the rest of the city , and Brayford area are worth a look.

Apart from being a local I have no connection with the event. (I do admit to being biased, but Lincoln Cathedral by day or in the evening, looks great, and I've not seen its equal in Europe!)Whatever you decide, have a good trip

regards

alan b

Hartsholme Park has a CS or CL, and there's another out Whisby way,

Hi Alan..

I certainly didn't mean to knock the setting of the Lincoln market..It's just that the time went it was absolutely rammed(..and I mean unpleasantly so :-( ).

That and finding ourselves all being "herded" around and out, in a totally different direction to where wanted to go...

(..and probably made to feel worse because there was 8 of us..and all trying not to lose sight of each other).

Although I suppose that would be no different to any other busy market(..hence us preferring less popular ones,I suppose).

(Our friends live down/in from the last roundabout on the bypass(Skegness road?),just in past a pub.."Poacher's Pocket"?..Their daughter does or did, go to the cathedral school I think...)

Hip Hip Hooray, at last someone who at least takes the time and trouble to actually read the question that is being asked, that really does seem to be the major problem with this forum, ask a genuine question and wait for the off topic replies and sometimes even insults about your choice of question, ITS Unbelievable ?

Thanks to every one who has taken the time and trouble to reply to the actual question that is being asked

Brian

pepe63 - 2013-12-03 2:14 PM

I think you'll find the OP(Brian) was asking about which markets to go to etc....and not, who here doesn't see the point in them.. *-)

Thanks, and I agree with your sentiments Lincoln is a really nice place

snowie - 2013-12-03 3:42 PM

So; for the OP's benefit. You will struggle to find a more beautiful setting than the Lincoln Xmas Market. The Cathedral, castle and Bailgate area. Some great real ale pubs and at the bottom of the hill, not called Steep Hill for nothing, the rest of the city , and Brayford area are worth a look.

Apart from being a local I have no connection with the event. (I do admit to being biased, but Lincoln Cathedral by day or in the evening, looks great, and I've not seen its equal in Europe!)Whatever you decide, have a good trip

regards

alan b

Hartsholme Park has a CS or CL, and there's another out Whisby way,

Thanks, we enjoyed Berlin earlier this year, and we will give your reply some thought

Thanks

lennyhb - 2013-12-03 4:13 PM

A couple of years ago we had a few days in December in Berlin, some very good markets we found the prices a bit high as everything being sold was made in Germany.

Thanks, we enjoyed Berlin earlier this year, and we will give your reply some thought

Thanks

lennyhb - 2013-12-03 4:13 PM

A couple of years ago we had a few days in December in Berlin, some very good markets we found the prices a bit high as everything being sold was made in Germany.

Guest JudgeMental
There is also Belgium to consider..not on the scale of the big german ones but not as far either. personally the ads on tv drive me nuts as it is! a whole fair dedicated to the nonsense, would probably drive me to murder a few elves and santa in a blitzkrieg or rage! :D

pepe63 - 2013-12-03 4:08 PM

Hi Alan..

I certainly didn't mean to knock the setting of the Lincoln market..It's just that the time went it was absolutely rammed(..and I mean unpleasantly so :-( ).

That and finding ourselves all being "herded" around and out,

No offence taken at all; they had problems, largely coping with popularity I think, but I don't think the organisers will make same mistakes (certainly hope not). Your comments /crit certainly valid.

alan b

We are away to the Lincoln Christmas market this weekend for the first time. Fancied a change and having enjoyed visits to the Brum markets previously felt the Lincoln one would be a good change (good excuse to bugger ooff for a weekend as well). We enjoy the variety of products and winter food and drink on offer although we could both live without the big crowds but that's what you get at any decent market so we'll put up with it.

D.

enodreven - 2013-12-03 5:52 PMHip Hip Hooray, at last someone who at least takes the time and trouble to actually read the question that is being asked, that really does seem to be the major problem with this forum, ask a genuine question and wait for the off topic replies and sometimes even insults about your choice of question, ITS Unbelievable ? Thanks to every one who has taken the time and trouble to reply to the actual question that is being askedBrian
pepe63 - 2013-12-03 2:14 PMI think you'll find the OP(Brian) was asking about which markets to go to etc....and not, who here doesn't see the point in them.. *-)

Well as I see it the OP asked for tips and suggestions and that is what he is getting, not just lick ass answers, surely a good  balanced  series of replies will be help full to Him / Her and others  thinking about going to  a Market, take  a look at trip adviser and you will see what I mean. The problem with this Forum , [ if there is a problem ] is that some seem to  be self appointed moderators  with tunnel vision,

Guest Had Enough
pepe63 - 2013-12-03 2:14 PM

I think you'll find the OP(Brian) was asking about which markets to go to etc....and not, who here doesn't see the point in them.. *-)

Nothing changes on here. I remember years ago people asking for advice on satellite TV and along they came: 'Satellite tv when on holiday? What's wrong with a good book and why aren't you admiring the scenery instead of being stuck in front of a TV?' (A bit tricky at night!)

And when sat-nav became popular, advice on that subject was often met by: 'Sat-nav, what's wrong with a decent atlas? I've managed without this new-fangled rubbish for thirty years.'

And now someone has decided to visit a Christmas market and we get the same old thing, people who aren't interested in actually answering his question and only want to tell us their own views on the subject. The problem isn't self-appointed moderators, it's members who can't conceive that their own view on anything isn't the only sensible one.

Hence we get a few members who will tell you that you're an idiot if you: Use campsites/don't use campsites, use aires/don't use aires, use toll roads or eschew them, or if you drive a coach built or a pvc. And now we know that Christmas markets are worthless rubbish and are also very enjoyable and worth a visit.

It would be nice if just once people answered the question and didn't ram their own views down our throats.

Guest 1footinthegrave

" it's members who can't conceive that their own view on anything isn't the only sensible one"

To quote that well worn phrase "You really could not make that up".

vindiboy - 2013-12-03 10:44 PM

Well as I see it the OP asked for tips and suggestions and that is what he is getting, not just lick ass answers...
8-) ?..Only just noticed this reply...Well..I will admit that I probably post my fair share of "Tongue in cheek" comments...but that involves a different sort of cheek! (lol) So what IS so "lick a**.." about answering on topic and trying to be helpful?.. :-S At least the OP/Brian and the rest of us, can now benefit from the knowledge that Vindiboy likes beer and sausage...Thanks for that input Vindi'.. (lol)

We went to Cologne few years back, and it was great,about 6 different markets scattered throughout the town but all within reasonable walking distance of each other and all offering different products.

there was even a market on a boat on the river which had an entry charge for charity. The Gluwein was very tasty and kept the cold out. The metro tram system in Cologne was very good, efficient and prices were reasonable with tickets purchased at the machines at the stops and depended on price paid the tkts could last all day for several jnys.

Archived