Budget 10" tablet

Charles Chodkowski

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No preference but if I were buying one I would probably want one with a usb port so I could plug in a wifi signal amplifier when away from home - as long as it did not add a disproportionate increase to the cost - 'cos if it does then I'll stick to faffing about tethering my smart phone and limiting my online use whilst abroad.

The Hudl is a 7" tablet but has a decent spec for the price.

Buying a tablet is just like buying a laptop - 1st decide what you want from it - It is a waste to pay for a machine with all the bells and whistles when you only want the whistles.

Do you want internet via wifi or via 3G or both built in?

Do you require to take a lot of music or photos - then you may require 1 with a bigger storage capacity - they come with 8, 16 or 32Gb on board and many come with the option of added storage via micro SD card. In case you want to take some movies with you.

Some have built in GPS (rather than AGPS ((Assisted GPS via 3G or wifi)) so you can use the tablet as a Sat nav.

Ensure that if you want to use perifferals with it that it can handle USB OTG (On the Go) that way you can add things like a mouse or attach your camera to back up your 'photos with it.

If you want to play music with it then take into account that the speakers will be poor to cr*p and you will need to use earphones or an added wired or bluetooth speaker (it will need to be bluetooth enabled - many are).

If you want to use a separate keyboard or a keyboard cover it will need to be connected to the tablet so will need to have either USB OTG or bluetooth depending on the keyboard you choose.

Look for a machine with the latest Android system (4.3 ((Jelly Bean)) - 4.4 (Kit Kat) comes out soon. Also look for a company who will keap you up to date with future updates - many don't!

You don't need to spend a fortune on the big brand names - I bought a "Cube UG30GT2" with 32 Gb of on board storage and a super fast processor but no GPS as I didn't need it as I have that on another tablet. You can get that from ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUBE-U30GT2-32GB-10-1-RETINA-IPS-RK3188-QUAD-CORE-1-8Ghz-ANDROID-4-1-TABLET-PC-/271201632433?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item3f24e080b1 - That is a fraction of the Pad with an "I" or the Sammy equivalent and a better spec. You may not need the processing power of this machine so need not spend that much.

Sorry to throw so many spanners in the works but it is best to decide what you want ahead of time rather than spending money on a machine that doesn't do what you want only to have to replace it with another.

Just a couple more spanners:-

Cheap usually means -

a) The older Resistive screens rather than the new Capacitive IPS screens - Poor for typing on and playing games - also picture quality not as good.

b) Short battery life - look for 1 which will give you 6hrs if possible.

c) Older operating system - many still with 3.2. Some newer apps will not work with the older systems. e.g. If you want to use it with the BT Smart Talk app you will need Android 4 and above.

Still want a tablet?

Guest 1footinthegrave

It's a netbook not a tablet but has android.............. a 10 inch screen, a proper keyboard, and £90. sounds pretty budget to me, and might be worth a punt especially if all you want is to access the internet. ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-INCH-NETBOOK-MINI-LAPTOP-WIFI-ANDROID-4GB-NOTEBOOK-PC-UK-SELLER-/221317857778?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item33879281f2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Inch-4GB-Google-Android-4-0-Netbook-With-Front-Camera-Notebook-Laptop-Wifi-/331066699957?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item4d151cf0b5

I was an early adopter of a Blackberry playbook, but despite buying an add on Bluetooth keyboard and case, as I hate onscreen keyboards, it's still my "ancient" laptop that gets the most use, horses for courses I guess

This is not a technical post only based on my experience. I have a Dell laptop which I would normally take with me in the MH but had a thought about what I use it for and left it at home. I used instead a Nexus 7 tablet which I have found excellent. In addition to the touch screen I purchased a separate keypad so the options are there and tending to use touch screen only. Connection to the internet was either straight to the tablet or through my iBoost WiFi router and Yagi aerial to increase signal strength. The tablet has GPS built in and I use Navfree which is a free satnav programme and had no problems getting to Spain using it.

Now back home and using the Dell which has Windows 7 and is full of pop-up adverts etc and is just a total pain in the neck to the extent that considering replacing it to get away from Windows, but certainly not Apple.

I suggest you consider what your going to use it for and then purchase accordingly and not get sucked into hype as I was with my now deceased iPad.

I should mention that the Nexus has a "port" and through an adaptor and an App I was able to transfer photos from my camera SD card for use in posting on internet.

Guest 1footinthegrave

As per my previous post I personally do not find there is enough "real estate" with a 7 inch screen, especially when the on screen keyboard is displayed, but did like the look of the Nexus, if the OP wants the 10 inch version though £350 is hardly budget territory. :-( but if I get one in my stocking ( no chance ) I won't be complaining, seems like a good compromise for portability and screen size...........anyone want a mint 7 inch 64 Gb Playbook ? :D

This could be a goer for the OP........................and me at £110 for a 10 inch ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FUSION5-XTRA-COMPACT-Tablet-Capacitive/dp/B00CX1XKHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386059228&sr=1-1&keywords=10+inch+tablet

Blimey I'm on a roll now, just found this 9 inch £68, that has surely got to be worth a punt

http://www.minigadget.co.uk/envy9-minigadget-android-tablet-p-65.html

Mike88 - 2013-12-03 9:37 AM

sshortcircuit - 2013-12-03 8:42 AM

The tablet has GPS built in and I use Navfree which is a free satnav programme and had no problems getting to Spain using it.

In order for the sat nav to work is a WIFI/phone signal required?

No.

However if you are planning a route and have WiFi connection you can get street view which is very helpful. I used the same programme on my iPad which resulted in this huge screen very easily read. The iPad version did not have GPS but I purchased a separate GPS receiver which connected via Bluetooth.

Biggest problem with most tablets is the wifi performance, we brought a 7" Gotab Andriod tablet last year to haul around India with us the wifi performance was terrible. we also now have an ipad better but wifi still not that good.

If you want it for use mainly in the van you would be better off getting a netbook, but if you want to lug it around towns better off with a tablet.

Rather than cutting down on the clutter we now take all 3 with us, netbook, tablet & ipad. :D

Guest 1footinthegrave

The tablet has GPS built in and I use Navfree which is a free satnav programme and had no problems getting to Spain using it.

Read all about it here, apparently not but you'll need to download the maps which with other offline satnav apps can be large files first before you set off.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/navmii-navfree_Mobile-App_review

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-03 9:49 AM

Read all about it here, apparently not but you'll need to download the maps which with other offline satnav apps can be large files first before you set off.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/navmii-navfree_Mobile-App_review

As usual you have to plan ahead. I have maps for GB, France, Spain and Portugal all loaded so no problems.

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-12-03 9:48 AM

Biggest problem with most tablets is the wifi performance, we brought a 7" Gotab Andriod tablet last year to haul around India with us the wifi performance was terrible. we also now have an ipad better but wifi still not that good.

If you want it for use mainly in the van you would be better off getting a netbook, but if you want to lug it around towns better off with a tablet.

Rather than cutting down on the clutter we now take all 3 with us, netbook, tablet & ipad. :D

Your a bit short on technology.................where's your smartphone. ;-) No wonder people try to turn their vans into Fort Knox :D how did we survive before, with a phone box and a map, and a good book ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-12-03 11:50 AM

Nope 2 of those with us as well & satnav plus GPS receiver for the netbook :D

Plus a dozen chargers, that I can never keep track of, or work out which one fits what (!)

Hi

I bought a 10" tablet from a company called A1CS (via Amazon) last year which has been very good. I notice they have a new, but similar, tablet for sale:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-FUSION5-XTRA-Tablet-Capacitive/dp/B00AJ1MQMA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1386072740&sr=8-7&keywords=a1cs

When we were on our Europe tour last year the tablet screen packed up, it was probably my fault to be honest. I contacted A1CS who told me to return the tablet and they would replace it. This they did very quickly, sending it to my contact UK address. Several of the reviews on Amazon mention A1CS's good service.

The tablet has been used quite a bit and is quick and reliable.

Might be worth looking at their current product.

Paul

I am also interested in a tablet to replace my tom tom and laptop and the nexus seems to fit the bill.

What i would like ask is how do i install camping car info poi onto the tablet and can i transfer photoes from the tablet to laptop at the end of my holiday. I have never used a tablet before so this is new territory to me.

Thanks Harry

Guest 1footinthegrave
Pc Plod - 2013-12-03 1:39 PM

I am also interested in a tablet to replace my tom tom and laptop and the nexus seems to fit the bill.

What i would like ask is how do i install camping car info poi onto the tablet and can i transfer photoes from the tablet to laptop at the end of my holiday. I have never used a tablet before so this is new territory to me.

Thanks Harry

Harry I can only say this, I have every device known to man ;-) but for me my satnav is crucial, so much so that despite my smartphone and tablet having GPS capability I do not think you can beat a dedicated satnav, so much so that I have two identical ones in case one packs up. I was seduced by an expensive tablet because it had built in GPS, but compared to my cheapo Navmans £40 and £36 each from Ebay and POIs from Camping car info easy to put on them, it is / was more trouble than it's worth, others no doubt may have other experiences,

If you are going to purchase a tablet, or whatever,anyway, then trying the free satnav software is no big problem as you can always purchase a dedicated satnav if you do not like it. Unfortunately I have had very limited experience of a dedicated satnav and what I had did not impress me compared to what I use now with a huge screen, but then what suits one may not suit another.

I would mention that the satnav program appears to result in a lot of power useage and if you are running it off the cigarette socket the supplied charger does not keep up and the battery slowly discharges. I am awaiting delivery of a 4.2A charger to overcome this problem so will be out for a test soon.

lennyhb - 2013-12-03 9:48 AM

.......and smartphone, just as a backup! ;-)

Oops, sorry Mike, you beat me to this one... :$

I am using a arnova archos 7 inch tablet for most of my posts on here,3g and wifi,does everything i want but i am not very tech savvy,it cost £110 a year ago from carphone warehouse and they do a bigger version which this year is probably about the same price,anything i cant do on here i just get the old laptop out.I connect through my hubba or its own 3g or the free wifi at work

Guest JudgeMental

Kindles are relatively cheap,and excellent for reading books..yet to see a device that manages to do better. New paper white out in the new year..on my list as old paper white gone back as so many crashes....

My wife bought a IPad nearly two years ago and said she would read books on it I said bull shine... so far she has read absolutely nufink.....now has a kindle as well

Edit: the nook is cheaper and some say better then paperwhite....

Archived