Our old van price increase by £5,000

Pampam

We were having a look around the dealers when we spotted a familiar sight ah look it's like our old Palermo I said . Then when we climbed inside I noticed one of the press studs had come away from the curtain near the door. We realised it was our first van that we bought for £29999 nearly three years ago ,back on the forecourt for £35,000 not bad eh??pp

Guest 1footinthegrave
Pampam - 2013-12-02 9:31 PM

We were having a look around the dealers when we spotted a familiar sight ah look it's like our old Palermo I said . Then when we climbed inside I noticed one of the press studs had come away from the curtain near the door. We realised it was our first van that we bought for £29999 nearly three years ago ,back on the forecourt for £35,000 not bad eh??pp

No good the old bill stopping you and asking for your registration number then :-S :D err dunno officer, but there's a press stud missing.

Being a newbie, the pricing of motorhomes seem a mystery. I bought ours privately, with two and a half years warranty left, and saw a similar one for £16,000 more in the summer! It hasn't sold yet.

But travelling around, going to shows and visiting dealers it is clear that you have to bide your time and buy when the right one comes up.

The number of MHs with incredible discounts at the moment makes me wonder what the profit margins are.

I know the specifications can be different, but expensive add ons like satellite domes, tow bars and air conditioning can make one more saleable, but like cars you rarely get your money back.

Looking at present prices I could sell mine at a profit now, but I was at a local dealer recently and overheard when he was discussing a trade in with a potential customer who drove off in disgust. He was told quite openly that his mh would have a £5,000 mark up as soon as it went on the forecourt.

Same thing happened to me 6 months ago, the dealer did a bit of research and said that he would put our van up at £31/32k and without trade in offered £26k cash as we did not want to trade in and were thinking of returning to the dark side. He was quite open that he needed a margin of £5k to operate his business. Still with cleaning, adverts, warranty and the risk of when it would sell I guess we have to accept such a profit. Selling privatly gets us less than fourcourt prices which closes the "profit gap" but introduces risks. Needless to say we currently still have the same van but will go the trade in route at change time.

So you pays your money etc:

Guest 1footinthegrave
I have just swapped my van, amongst the paper work is the receipt dated 2007 for £27.000, I have seen this same year and model on sale now 6 years on at around 24/25 K, imagine that with a car ! !

Archived