How high will it go?

Dave225

Note that today the Pound has breached the €1.20 barrier for the 1st time since last February .Best tourist rate I have seen is €1.185 which is a lot better than the €1.13'ish seen during summer.

Is it time to jump and get the money for next year, or wait?

Guest Peter James
When the Euro was introduced (trading electronically in 1999) you got 1.6 Euros to the pound. So at least we are only 25% worse off not getting the Euro. Never mind, we have Her face to admire on the notes. These Europeans must be so jealous *-)

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2013-12-03 4:35 PM

When the Euro was introduced (trading electronically in 1999) you got 1.6 Euros to the pound. So at least we are only 25% worse off not getting the Euro. Never mind, we have Her face to admire on the notes. These Europeans must be so jealous *-)

Never mind Peter..................You'll soon have King Salmond's fisog to admire :D

Guest JudgeMental
read an article recently that forecasted this rise, it was in sunday times on a major swiss bank, apparently renowned for the accuracy of their forecasts..maybe UBS? said pound would be in early 20's for 2014 and rise to 30's (1.30's) in 2015. not good for exports I should think! Or our house price lead recovery, london prices up by 20% by next year..economy..what economy? :-S

Guest JudgeMental
Dave225 - 2013-12-03 7:20 PM

That is the problem, how high will they let it rise before pulling it back down with more QE or similar?

My own selfish interest is how much more money I will have to spend on the trip next year.

Have already made a bundle on our London house and wife will never agree to move now :-S

Guest JudgeMental
vindiboy - 2013-12-03 8:15 PM

I used my Post office Mastercard [Credit ] on our trip to Hungary and Italy recently and  I was getting 1.18  to 1.19 then,and that was in October.I have just received the last bill for the trip and it is all on it ?

Got 1.1860 in holiday cash in the summer..don't get your question..it has been a slow upward trend with a few hiccups along the way? If I go for a new van may well wait for a bit.....

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2013-12-03 5:00 PM

Never mind Peter..................You'll soon have King Salmond's fisog to admire :D

If it made my pounds worth 1.6 Euros again I would even put up with that. :-D

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2013-12-03 5:51 PM

not good for exports I should think!

If printing money and trashing the currency was good for exports Britain would be the biggest exporter in Europe, and Zimbabwe the biggest exporter in the world!

We need to aim for the top cometing with Germany on Quality and Innovation.:-D

Not aim for the bottom competing with Bangladesh on price. :-(

Even if wages fell to their levels Britain's high property prices, council taxes, fuel taxes, vehicle taxes, green taxes etc etc would still make it impossible to compete with them on price.

pelmetman - 2013-12-03 5:00 PM

No Ba Face wants to stay with the Pound :-( Me I prefer the Euro!

Guest Peter James
Well judging by the way the Scottish Banks have been run, And Edinburgh Council runs its trams, I can't see being run from Edinburgh being much different than Westminster. Just another layer of pointless politicians to pay taxes for.

Peter James - 2013-12-04 5:28 PM

Well judging by the way the Scottish Banks have been run, And Edinburgh Council runs its trams, I can't see being run from Edinburgh being much different than Westminster. Just another layer of pointless politicians to pay taxes for.

Always love this one. It is always good for a laugh among the ignorant.

Actually......Bank of Scotland was a very well run, if rather staid institution until it was bought by the Halifax at which point it went on the spending spree., Halifax kept the name for the simple reason that it allowed them to print bank notes, something a poorly run building society in the north of England was not allowed to do. Plus it allowed them to feel very posh by having lunch in the BoS headquarters overlooking Edinburgh. For similar reasons Lloyds has kept the name and in fact has now removed the name Lloyds totally from Scotland, the non BoS branches now being called TSB.

Similarly, although RBS is indeed a Scottish bank by registration its main workplace is the city of London and that is where all its main business is done.

So, possibly blaming us for sins committed either directly in England, or by workers in England is not really the truth.

However, i fully accept the issue of Edinburgh trams. Never in the history of incompetence has a Council excelled itself like this one. However, i would put it down to the fact that they are a combination of being totally thick and corrupt and nothing to do with nationality. We are all going to congregate along Princes Street tonight at 1 am as the 1st tram will navigate along it. Flags and Bunting have been ordered. The whole trip of 5 miles will take 5 hours. Of course as we are forecast to get 90 mph winds tonight, that may be cancelled as the tram may get hurt.

Peter, How is independance, another layer of politicians? If it comes about, Scotland will have less of them to support. England will always be run by the Tories. However this is a MH fotum and I am going to stop, posting political stuff.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Iain Strachan - 2013-12-04 11:21 PM

Peter, How is independance, another layer of politicians? If it comes about, Scotland will have less of them to support. England will always be run by the Tories. However this is a MH fotum and I am going to stop, posting political stuff.

Well we do not have full independence in Wales ( yet ), just the assembly, however many powers have been given to them including education, and the hidden agenda that dare not speak it's name, that is the burden of the Welsh language spoken by the minority of the population ( although I expect that they all watch Eastenders ) imposed at every level and getting worse, especially for any inward business that may consider setting up here . Since this political monster was formed ( complete with two very fancy buildings, despite the hospitals falling to bits, it has been a downward spiral for Wales, we have just witnessed yet again a further fall in our education league table because to use the Welsh education ministers phrase " we have not kept our eye on the ball" oh that's OK then, just another decade of children failed.

What he fails to mention is again despite Welsh being a minority language within Wales many schools, and a 100% of schools in Gwynedd only teach our kids through the medium of Welsh irrespective of their first language, it gets even better, because here in Gwynedd quite obviously they will only employ Welsh speakers as teachers, result of that is teachers that may be excellent, but English speaking do not get a look in even if they are Welsh, so we end up with some very second rate ones................why am I saying all this...............well IMO the parallels are very similar to Scotland's bid for independence, you will end up with nationalistic politicians who have the same agenda, that is a job for life, and a shared disdain for the English, trust me our assembly has been one cock up after the other, run by people no better qualified than to run a chip shop, and that Salmond oozes hatred for the English from every pore, why does that matter, it matters because he is driven by that and always has been, not the welfare or future prosperity of the Scottish people at all, much like many of our assembly members, and Plaid Cymru in particular, although they don't burn down houses so often now. (!)

Guest JudgeMental

Anyone watch C4 news last night and piece on swiss arm of HSBC..corruption and tax evasion on a massive scale. but thanks to a French whistleblower, (French have refused to extradite him to Switzerland) most European countries reclaiming hundreds of millions from companies, and individuals, pension funds etc....they are even accused of laundering money for terrorists. Guess which country has done nothing about the 2000 odd accounts that have become public thanks to this inside leak.......yep you guessed it the UK! Cameron and his cronies happier collecting bedroom tax and harassing the poorest among us......

Loads of stuff on net about this...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-09/hero-or-villain-the-strange-case-of-hsbc-whistleblower-herv-falciani

Interesting story and thanks for posting it. The last paragraph says a lot, though. I know for a fact that all Swiss banks have either done a tax deal with UK based account holders and passed back taxes to HMRC or those account holders have elected to declare the amounts and paid tax to HMRC. This "amnesty" expired in June and all information is now routinely passed to HMRC and a few other governments. Applies to big and small account holders alike but HMRC only pulled in about half of what they were hoping

Guest Peter James
Iain Strachan - 2013-12-04 11:21 PM

Well I think Victor Meldrew here has answered that one. I would just add that Westminster will take every oportunity to put the skids under you like they did with ex colonies like India. They wouldn't want it to work better without them than it did with them. Not that there is much chance of that.

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2013-12-05 9:17 AM

Guess which country has done nothing about the 2000 odd accounts that have become public thanks to this inside leak.....http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-09/hero-or-villain-the-strange-case-of-hsbc-whistleblower-herv-falciani

I guess the same country that has the highest military spending in Europe to defend tax havens like Gibraltar.

Guest JudgeMental
DuxDeluxe - 2013-12-05 10:20 AM

Interesting story and thanks for posting it. The last paragraph says a lot, though. I know for a fact that all Swiss banks have either done a tax deal with UK based account holders and passed back taxes to HMRC or those account holders have elected to declare the amounts and paid tax to HMRC. This "amnesty" expired in June and all information is now routinely passed to HMRC and a few other governments. Applies to big and small account holders alike but HMRC only pulled in about half of what they were hoping

the C4 program gave a country by country breakdown of monies so far retrieved..UK has only bothered with one case, when other countries have gone after 1000's and had millions back *-)

there is lot more info on net about this.

I like C4's investigative journalism..BBC a joke in comparison. C4 very unpopular in Sri Lanka now as they highlighted all the human rights abuse during commonwealth summit!

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2013-12-05 12:38 PM

I like C4's investigative journalism..BBC a joke in comparison.

Thats long been the case. BBC 'Rogue Traders' is always about working class traders like builders & mechanics. When it comes to overcharging they have got nothing on the 'professions' but AFAIK its only channel 4 that has had a go at them - Dentists. MPs fiddling their expenses was exposed by the Daily Telegraph!

BBC never says much about executive pay because BBC 'journalists' all have their snouts in the trough as well

Guest Peter James
Dave225 - 2013-12-04 7:16 PM

Always love this one. It is always good for a laugh among the ignorant.

Actually......Bank of Scotland was a very well run, if rather staid institution until it was bought by the Halifax at which point it went on the spending spree., Halifax kept the name for the simple reason that it allowed them to print bank notes, something a poorly run building society in the north of England was not allowed to do. Plus it allowed them to feel very posh by having lunch in the BoS headquarters overlooking Edinburgh. For similar reasons Lloyds has kept the name and in fact has now removed the name Lloyds totally from Scotland, the non BoS branches now being called TSB.

Similarly, although RBS is indeed a Scottish bank by registration its main workplace is the city of London and that is where all its main business is done.

So, possibly blaming us for sins committed either directly in England, or by workers in England is not really the truth.

:D I suppose Sir Fred Goodwin, Tony Blair, Alisdair Darling and Gordon Brown are all English as well *-)

Archived