Useful Books for newbie to Motorhoming

johnlc

I'm looking to get my first motorhome soon and wondered if people had recommendations for useful books. I've posted in the Sites forum about site guides.

I've come across Go Motorhoming and Campervanning as a general book, which may also help in my purchase decision as well as "learning the ropes" once I've bought something.

Other things I've seen advertised are

The Motorhome Security Handbook and The Motorhome Checklist.

Finally, The Original VW Camper Cookbook looks like it might be useful for cooking in a motorhome.

If anyone has any thoughts about these books or others I should be looking at (particularly to help with "learning the ropes" re motorhoming) I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum John, often referred to as 'the mad house' you should learn a lot on here from the comments of long time M/H users

In conjunction with any books I suggest you read what is discussed about the many Motorhomes on these forums. Take as long as possible before reaching a decision and when decided ask others about your choice.

Guest 1footinthegrave

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Motorhoming-Europe-Melanie-George/dp/095528080X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386162567&sr=8-2&keywords=go+motorhoming+europe

Don't be put off by the "europe" bit, it is now out of print I believe but available above from 1p.... yes 1p plus postage, a mine of useful info though, that even now I sometimes refer to for all things M/homing ;-)

John

Motorhome-related books are disciussed on the 2nd page of this earlier forum thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Words-of-motorhome-wisdom-/33028/

The Motohome Security Handbook and Motorhome Checklist books are advertised and reviewed on this website:

http://www.motorhome-books.com/

I've read neither of those books (nor the 'Go Motorhoming' book for that matter) so I can't advise on their value to a potential motorhome first-time buyer. I suggest you buy the 'Go Motorhoming' book and (if it's possible) get your local library to obtain the others for you so you can assess if they are worth purchasing.

I would have thought most people are able to adapt the recipes for meals they cook at home to a motorhome's (usually) smaller kitchen, but, if you are planning to obtain a small 'camper-type' vehicle, the VW book might be useful.

johnlc - 2013-12-04 12:49 PMI'm looking to get my first motorhome soon and wondered if people had recommendations for useful books. I've posted in the Sites forum about site guides. I've come across Go Motorhoming and Campervanning as a general book, which may also help in my purchase decision as well as "learning the ropes" once I've bought something.Other things I've seen advertised are The Motorhome Security Handbook and The Motorhome Checklist.Finally, The Original VW Camper Cookbook looks like it might be useful for cooking in a motorhome.If anyone has any thoughts about these books or others I should be looking at (particularly to help with "learning the ropes" re motorhoming) I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks

Hello and welcome John :-)

We have just the thing! Buying Your First Motorhome is packed full of essential info including:

• Which layout?
  • Which type of motorhome?
  • Which base vehicle?
  • Which chassis and construction?
  • Which size and weight?
  • Where to buy?
  • Second-hand or new?
  • How to pay
  • Insurance and breakdown cover
  • Buyers' guide - 900 motorhomes to choose from
  • The dealers - 174 motorhome dealers to choose from
You can find out more HERE

Hope you find it useful.

Thanks

Andrew

Have you seen 'The Motorcaravan Manual' by John Wickersham? It goes into a fair amount of detail on the workings of a motorcaravan including typical heaters, pumps, wiring and troubleshooting.

Link.

John has also written other books around the subject, try searching by his name on Amazon or similar.

Keith.

It's likely that ANY book intended to provide motorhome-related guidance should have SOME value to a motorcaravanning newcomer, and a GOOGLE-search on "motor caravan book" will reveal that there are plenty of them.

In my posting of 4 December 2013 1:49 PM I provided a link to an earlier forum thread in which I suggested John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" and Vicarious Books' "Go Motorhoming and Campervanning" publications as useful background reading material for anyone considering buying a motorhome.

The scope of ""Go Motorhoming and Campervanning" is shown here

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Go-Motorhoming-and-Campervanning-9780956678119.html

It's essentially in two sections, one covering 'technical' issues and the other dealing with 'usage' with particular emphasis on usage abroad.

John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" concentrates much more on the 'technical' side of motorcaravanning rather than on usage.

"Go Motorhoming.." is currently available via Amazon for £11.99 and "The Motorcaravan Manual" for £14.51. If cost isn't a factor I'd suggest that a newcomer buy both: if it is I'd suggest that he/she purchases the former and holds fire on buying the latter. I've seen "The Motorcaravan Manual" on the shelves of my local library (but not "Go Motorhoming..") so I'm guessing it shouldn't be too difficult to 'vet' JW's book regarding its suitability and then decide whether or not to buy it.

Guest 1footinthegrave
One book so far not mentioned is "Learn to speak French" then get over the water and discover a world of Motorhoming nirvana ;-) :-D

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-05 9:10 AM

One book so far not mentioned is "Learn to speak French" then get over the water and discover a world of Motorhoming nirvana ;-) :-D

If the objective is nirvana - a transcendent state in which there is neither suffering, desire, nor sense of self - the last thing to do would be to become a motorcaravanner (or to participate on this forum for that matter) :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-05 9:23 AM

If the objective is nirvana - a transcendent state in which there is neither suffering, desire, nor sense of self - the last thing to do would be to become a motorcaravanner (or to participate on this forum for that matter) :D

Mmmm, picked the wrong word there, still I'm sure my point is understood, and after all it's a bit early in the morning for me ;-)

Guest pelmetman

Blimey............... Derek's used an emoticon 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) ...........

pelmetman - 2013-12-05 6:28 PM

Nothing knew >:-) - i used them xtensvely wen i was possting az "Fiona" ;-) :-) :-o (lol) :-D :-S :'(

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-06 8:55 AM

pelmetman - 2013-12-05 6:28 PM

Nothing knew >:-) - i used them xtensvely wen i was possting az "Fiona" ;-) :-) :-o (lol) :-D :-S :'(

Nelson's Dead 8-)..................Storm's and floods 8-)................ Derek is Fiona 8-) 8-) 8-)...........................

It's the end of the world (!) (!) (!)..............

Repent your sins everyone...........whilst there's still time :-S...........

Archived