ACSI DVD.......Bargain!!!

Bulletguy

BrianBW - 2013-12-05 4:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Trouble is they increase the content every year and a lot is missed from the previous year.

Be very interesting to compare a 2013 with a 2014!

My 2009 has served me well for four years and that was a €5 bargain too.....bought in 2009 from an ACSI inspector who was on a site i was staying at in Buchenwald.

Bulletguy - 2013-12-07 4:54 PM

BrianBW - 2013-12-05 4:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Trouble is they increase the content every year and a lot is missed from the previous year.

Be very interesting to compare a 2013 with a 2014!

My 2009 has served me well for four years and that was a €5 bargain too.....bought in 2009 from an ACSI inspector who was on a site i was staying at in Buchenwald.

Are you saying you get the discount from ACSI, without a current card? Or do you just use it as a guide to sites? There are now two books for each year, and an extra 200+ sites this year. I usually throw my old books away, perhaps I should put them on e-bay?

PJay

PJay - 2013-12-07 11:42 PM

Are you saying you get the discount from ACSI, without a current card? Or do you just use it as a guide to sites? There are now two books for each year, and an extra 200+ sites this year. I usually throw my old books away, perhaps I should put them on e-bay?

PJay

You are confusing the guide book with the dvd.......two very different items!

You don't get a discount card with the dvd, only the book, but IMO the dvd is way way better than the guide book and lists far more sites that the book doesn't list at all (eg. take a look at how many are listed in the UK then compare with the amount on the dvd).

But if you want an ACSI dvd cheap, just click on the link in the first post. It's a 2013 one but at that price they will be gone very quickly.

Bulletguy - 2013-12-08 5:08 AM

the dvd is way way better than the guide book and lists far more sites that the book doesn't list at all (eg. take a look at how many are listed in the UK then compare with the amount on the dvd)

So are you saying that the ACSI book does not list all the ACSI sites?

But site guides on DVDs and USB memory sticks are a bit irrelevant to those of us who have migrated to using tab computers.

I think people are getting very confused.

The DVD has ALL the ACSI inspected sites, so think of it as a campsite guide to inspected sites (a bit like the old AA hotel guide)

The books have only the sites which are a part of their discount scheme, which campsites sign up for. Normally the discount is available outside of "normal" holidsay seasons. The books come with a card, which is valid for one year only, which gives you access to the discounted prices at the sites that are listed.

Get the DVD by all means as a guide to campsites, but don't roll up at a campsite expecting a discount unless it's in the book. Simples?

DavyS - 2013-12-08 4:09 PM

So are you saying that the ACSI book does not list all the ACSI sites?

Yes.

There are more sites listed on the dvd than what there are in the book. After all you can cram far more 'info' on a bog standard 4.75gb disc than you can in a book. With the dvd you also get full mapping (similar layout to Autoroute). You would need a damn hefty book to print everything which is on the dvd. Paper and print is very expensive whereas producing a dvd costs mere fractions of a penny.

I bought a guide book before i bought the dvd and was very disappointed with it. Once i'd seen the dvd, i offered my guide book which was only a couple of months old, free to anyone who wanted it. I ended up chucking it in the bin.

DavyS - 2013-12-08 4:09 PM

But site guides on DVDs and USB memory sticks are a bit irrelevant to those of us who have migrated to using tab computers.

Why? It just means you have to go and buy an external drive.

Though I can appreciate the reason people go to tablets (size/space), the downside is you lose what came as standard with your laptop. That's why i've stuck with my laptop because it has every facility i need, not to mention all the Dell connectors and 12v charger....and Dell laptops won't charge off non-OE chargers.

bertieburstner - 2013-12-08 4:46 PM

I think people are getting very confused.

The DVD has ALL the ACSI inspected sites, so think of it as a campsite guide to inspected sites (a bit like the old AA hotel guide)

The books have only the sites which are a part of their discount scheme, which campsites sign up for. Normally the discount is available outside of "normal" holidsay seasons. The books come with a card, which is valid for one year only, which gives you access to the discounted prices at the sites that are listed.

You possibly explained it better than i did (didn't see your post until i'd just stuck mine on!).

bertieburstner - 2013-12-08 4:46 PM

Get the DVD by all means as a guide to campsites, but don't roll up at a campsite expecting a discount unless it's in the book. Simples?

The "discounts" are for out of season only but lot's of folk get the impression they work the year round. For me, the book was useless whereas the dvd i use all the time, both at home when planning out a tour and also en route. I have it installed in both my desktop and laptop pc's but take the disc with me whenever i'm away.....just in case.

Archived