East coast severe weather

Pampam

I hope all you lot that live on the east coast are kept safe and well and the worse is over it seems to have calmed here in yorkshire:) just a couple of tiles off my mums bungalow next door .so had lucky escape hope you have an uneventfull night .pp

The Storm Surge from the Wash down to Kent is due over the next three Tides, Hope all of you that live in that area have moved your M/H's up onto safe ground away from any possible Floods. Gt Yarmouth looks like the sea defences will be 'overtopped' , Hope Simpsons have moved their new Vans up onto high ground. Good Luck everybody ! keep safe ! Ray

Winds no problem here and the river peaked at about 6' below the flood bank in our village, although one silly sod managed to fall in and had to be pulled out and ambulanced off to hospital with hypothermia. But then one idiot in a small village is to be expected I suppose - a lot more idiots in bigger towns of course! When will they ever learn?

I gather that Boston, King's Lynn and all around the coast have not been so fortunate?

Tomorrows tides are allegedly a bit shorter but it all depends on what the barometric pressure and wind does to the tidal surge and at what times.

It's real bad in boston. Half the town is flooded and also up the river welland where my boat is out of the water at the moment. It is on hard standing at the fosdyke marina and it has had to come up at least 5 or 6 mtrs above normal high water spring level and is washing around the base of it. Kings lynn is also quite bad and hunstanton.

Having been chastised by Rupert 123, I'm almost afraid to tell you how bad it was in Scotland. All the trains were cancelled, all the bridges were shut. A few people were killed by trees etc. Now its freezing and the snow that fell has turned to ice. But its Scotland and thats what we expect in the winter. Strange the UK chancelor published his Autumn statement, seems he doesn't know even what season it is.

Iain Strachan - 2013-12-05 11:15 PM

Strange the UK chancelor published his Autumn statement, seems he doesn't know even what season it is.

Depends on which system you follow. Astronomical winter starts 21 December, which is the date the Spanish use for example. I didn't know if we have a recognised date.

In 1953 I was a 14 year old Boy Scout in Lincolnshire not far from the coast.

We were formed into pairs, given a torch and at night had to walk the banks of local rivers/drains to check the height of water and breaks in the banks.

H and S would not permit it today.

Muswell - 2013-12-06 8:59 AM

Strange the UK chancelor published his Autumn statement, seems he doesn't know even what season it is.

Depends on which system you follow. Astronomical winter starts 21 December, which is the date the Spanish use for example. I didn't know if we have a recognised date.

Muswell up here we dont rely on the stars to tell us when its winter; its when brass monkeys go indoors! :-D

Having been chastised by Rupert 123, I'm almost afraid to tell you how bad it was in Scotland. All the trains were cancelled, all the bridges were shut. A few people were killed by trees etc. Now its freezing and the snow that fell has turned to ice. But its Scotland and thats what we expect in the winter. Strange the UK chancelor published his Autumn statement, seems he doesn't know even what season it is.

?????

Guest JudgeMental

Shhhhhh....don't tell anyone, but Boris has a plan to cover London in a temperature controlled dome.....summer living year round and banning all non electric vehicles..it will be cycle heaven.

the Chinese have the contract for a worldwide network of super city's and why Cameron was really in china:D

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-12-06 5:39 PM

Shhhhhh....don't tell anyone, but Boris has a plan to cover London in a temperature controlled dome.....summer living year round and banning all non electric vehicles..it will be cycle heaven.

the Chinese have the contract for a worldwide network of super city's and why Cameron was really in china:D

They've already tried it Eddie ;-).....................it was called Smog :D

And yet by the beginning of the afternoon the sky was blue, the sun was shining and the wind was zero. Very cold yes, but only a few flakes of the white stuff.

According the Press some of the things that blocked railway lines would make you laugh, unless you were trying to get to work or whatever. They had bales of hay, trampoline boards and lots of garden equipment as well as the expected tree branches. Scotrail re started services at 1 pm from Edinburgh to Glasgow and local services elsewhere but all cross border trains were cancelled until today.

Mind you i have no sympathy for the driver of the white van who ignored the closed signs on the Forth Bridge and drove a hundred yards along before being blown into the crash barrier.

According to the Beeb, that fount of all knowledge the wind reached 140 mph in a very high part of Invernesshire, where few people live, so that was all right. I gather it hit 102 mph in Stirling but over here it was about 60 or so. Bad enough but not a disaster. However good excuse to have correspondents all over the place no doubt enjoying a night on expenses.

I think the east coast of England is getting it far worse, but they are low down near the sea. Storm of the Century???No, bad enough but not that. However, if you did get your house flooded or worse and had a relative killed, then you have my deepest sympathies.

You won't need to go to Benidorm ever again Judge

You won't need a motorhome ever again, coachbuilt or tin box

You won't need to come on here ever again

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2013-12-06 7:28 PM

I think the east coast of England is getting it far worse, but they are low down near the sea. Storm of the Century???No, bad enough but not that. However, if you did get your house flooded or worse and had a relative killed, then you have my deepest sympathies.

It appears the work done on the sea defenses since 53 have paid off in the main, as in 53 the floods reached 2 miles inland and stopped at our workshop (It was built well before the house)............It seems most of the tidal surge was funneled up the rivers instead..........hence the flooding at Boston :-|........

Our only damage was the spinner on the chimney...............just got one for less than half price on fleabay :D.....

Guest JudgeMental
HWO - 2013-12-06 7:34 PM

K

You won't need to go to Benidorm ever again Judge

You won't need a motorhome ever again, coachbuilt or tin box

You won't need to come on here ever again

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Actually.......The van is up for sale in anticipation of this nirvana :D

Hi,

Having booked for two nights for the Lincoln Market we drove over in the motorhome from Liverpool on Thursday morning. Going over the M62 was interesting but at least the wind was from behind, but when we got on the M1 and the wind was side on it was quite hairy. Watching the HGVs slaloming along was very entertaining.

5 miles from the site we got a puncture and by the time that was fixed the wind had dropped and we had a clear cold night in Lincoln.

Fantastic markets and entertainments including the cathedral choir.

Alan

Archived