Winter - 2007 Ace Airstream

Secondlife

Being a total newbie to motorhomes we were led to believe that we needed to cover the vents, drain the hot water tank and empty our 'home during the winter. Well we managed 2 out of 3, discovered we had no vent covers. So called Swift they said to speak to a dealer. Spoke to our dealer who said look on Ebay (you can tell I am getting nowhere fast). Rang another dealer who has been extremely helpful but has come back to say that there is not a winter pack for the Ace Airstream but if we wanted vent covers then to use those supplied for the Sundance (advice from Swift). So I suppose my question is do I need these vent covers? The 'home is stored away in a large barn for the winter.

Guest 1footinthegrave

No. ;-)

but you'll almost certainly find your vents are industry standard ones, for which covers should easliy be available, they are advised when using the fridge in the colder times of the year, but l personally have never used them, nor it seems do many others, and if in storage even less reason ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

No. ;-)

but you'll almost certainly find your vents are industry standard ones, for which covers should easliy be available, they are advised when using the fridge in the colder times of the year, but l personally have never used them, nor it seems do many others, and if in storage even less reason to obtain them ;-)

Agreed. You need them to help the fridge work efficiently when the outside temp is low, but, as Mike says, if you aren't using the fridge then why bother.

However, if being stored in a barn, fridge covers might keep little creatures out.....

Any caravan dealer/shop would have them, or ebay, you just need to know the model of fridge or fridge/freezer as there are many variations.

With the MH in a barn, its unlikely that temps will get low enough to cause too many problems, draining is good.....however, using it is better! Remember, its a motorhome not a caravan and can asily be used all year round.

Welcome and good vanning!

....the prime function of the "winter covers" is to avoid overcooling of the fridge whilst in use with the temperature below 10°C.

They can also be used to protect the rear of the fridge whilst in storage, or whilst washing, but if the 'van is stored under cover, this will be far from critical.

They come only in a few designs, and I suspect that your 'van will use vents that take one each of the LS100 and LS200 vent covers. If you want some, they are widely available on eBay at something less than £15 the pair, delivered. (Search for "Dometic Winter Covers")

It's worth checking the colour of your existing vents, however, as they come in both white and beige (either is functional, but a match is more aesthetically pleasing).

Guest 1footinthegrave

Amen to that Chris ( Bolero Boy ).................much better at the very least to take it for a decent spin every few weeks, and the OP may want to think about removing or disconnecting his batteries as well if he doesn't (!)

P.S, you can't beat a bit of duplicated information ( poster above ) can you :-S

but I agree about the aesthetically pleasing cover colours in a barn. :D

I believe Thetford fridges were fitted to the Ace Airstream range and, if that's the case, the fridge vents would logically be Thetford products too. Winter covers are available for these - examples here

http://www.leisurespares.co.uk/stock/Thetford/Thetford-fridge-vents/

http://www.thethetfordcentre.co.uk/magento/thetford/tf/thetford-sr-vent-cover-white.html

but (as bolero boy advises) it would be necessary to accurately identify the vents fitted to your motorhome to ensure you obtained the correct covers.

As has already been said, winter covers will have little value for a motorhome being over-wintered under cover. If you wanted to prevent insects/spiders from entering through the vents, you could cover the vents with duct tape.

Thank you everyone. We may well use it for a couple of midweek jaunts but probably not until after Christmas now.

Think we are going for the option of not purchasing these vents, you see you all gave me much more valuable information than the info we were given when we purchased the 'home.

Thank you again, sorry if it was a dumb question but as I said we are newbies and geriatrics as well :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave

Of course it wasn't a dumb question, you should see some of mine. :D

Enjoy the adventures that await in your new toy.

........now does anyone know what's wrong with my boiler. ;-)

Our Rapido had dedicated vent covers which were replaced whenever we were at home, but only because they were part of the construction. I doubt I would have bought any.

PS regarding water (hot or cold) I drain every drop from everywhere during the winter months, including leaving all taps open and ensuring that the sink traps were empty so allowing a free flow of air throughout the whole vehicle.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Will85 - 2013-12-07 1:30 PM

Our Rapido had dedicated vent covers which were replaced whenever we were at home, but only because they were part of the construction.

Most if not all vans are assembled allowing passages of air to pass freely through the interior space particularly at floor level behind cupboards etc so allowing you not to be sealed in at night and therefore past caring in the morning.

Love it, but for me the big question has always been would you know it was morning if you sealed everything up. :D

P.S we've newly acquired a Rapido, does yours blow a force 9 gale from an outside oblong vent behind the oven ?

It certainly did (now sold of course), it was such a nuisance that when parked with the wind against that side I often sealed the inside gaps around the cooker front with plastic tape. There was no chance of heat damage as the wind was too strong.

PS the expelling breath from Mrs H was far worse than any calor gas fumes, her whole system is acidic, anything she touches corrodes and I've survived nearly 60 years of that so I reckon I'm immune from almost all fumes. Perhaps that's why I'm so fit now, I'm orally vaccinated against all nasty's.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Will85 - 2013-12-07 1:44 PM

It certainly did (now sold of course), it was such a nuisance that when parked with the wind against that side I often sealed the inside gaps around the cooker front with plastic tape. There was no chance of heat damage as the wind was too strong.

Mmmm, thanks for that, gaffer tape here I come, along with a CO detector. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Will85 - 2013-12-07 2:00 PM

Ours was a 987M with draft holes everywhere.

No wonder mine has got duel heating with a quoted output of 6kw :D

I'm in the process of trying to fix my combi boiler, oddly not a sign of a gas drop vent by it though. :-S

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-12-07 1:20 PM

Its knackered.............get a log burner :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-12-07 3:11 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-07 1:20 PM

Its knackered.............get a log burner :D

It's a great idea, having had one in the past in our cottage, I'll run the idea past Safeguard first though. ;-)

if it's a goer just need a trailer for my logs,

and a Pouffe to put my feet up by it :D the log burner that is, not the trailer

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-07 2:04 PM

I'm in the process of trying to fix my combi boiler, oddly not a sign of a gas drop vent by it though. :-S

A Truma C-6002EH has a combined gas/230V maximum output of 7.8kw.

Truma C-Series heaters are intended to suck in air from within a motohome's living area and recirculate the warmed air around the living area, so the absolute last thing you want is a gas drop-vent anywhere nearby that would allow the heater to suck in cold air from outside the vehicle.

I've seen UK-built motorhomes with a yawning drop-vent in the floor right next to a C-Series heater, with a big warning notice that the hole must not be covered. I don't know if this is due to the demands of NCC regulations, but commonsense should tell the motorhome converter what the effect will be. I've yet to see a Continental European motorhome with a gas drop-vent near a Truma combination air/water heater, which proves something I guess...

Guest 1footinthegrave
Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-08 9:41 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-07 2:04 PM

A Truma C-6002EH has a combined gas/230V maximum output of 7.8kw.

Truma C-Series heaters are intended to suck in air from within a motohome's living area and recirculate the warmed air around the living area, so the absolute last thing you want is a gas drop-vent anywhere nearby that would allow the heater to suck in cold air from outside the vehicle.

I've seen UK-built motorhomes with a yawning drop-vent in the floor right next to a C-Series heater, with a big warning notice that the hole must not be covered. I don't know if this is due to the demands of NCC regulations, but commonsense should tell the motorhome converter what the effect will be. I've yet to see a Continental European motorhome with a gas drop-vent near a Truma combination air/water heater, which proves something I guess...

I hadn't got my handbook handy so obviously quoted the output from memory incorrectly, sadly it's output at the moment is zero kw :-S

Very interesting that Rapido got it right about no drop vent near to it though, due to the reasons you've explained.

What a pity then they have stuck a ruddy great oblong vent to the outside that blows a gale inside the same space where the heater is installed, no wonder it's a 7.8 kw unit 8-)

JohnP - 2013-12-07 2:04 PM

If stored in a barn watch out for mice activity

I second that, after being at their 'Receiving end' what a pong !

I now ALWAYS put in Ultrasonic 'Scarers', if stored at home, mains powered ones, if away, 9v Powered ones. They DO work, but will not clear out mice already in residence. for that you would need traps.

I also use Fridge Vent Covers when it is stored, they stop 'Driving Rain' being forced through the vents, as well as the damp, There is enough ventilation in the van to keep the air circulating, without two huge holes open in the side of the van. Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-12-08 2:08 PM

JohnP - 2013-12-07 2:04 PM

If stored in a barn watch out for mice activity

I second that, after being at their 'Receiving end' what a pong !

I now ALWAYS put in Ultrasonic 'Scarers', if stored at home, mains powered ones, if away, 9v Powered ones. They DO work, but will not clear out mice already in residence. for that you would need traps.

I also use Fridge Vent Covers when it is stored, they stop 'Driving Rain' being forced through the vents, as well as the damp, There is enough ventilation in the van to keep the air circulating, without two huge holes open in the side of the van. Ray

Cheers for that I can see that we will be going shopping tomorrow not for Xmas pressies but mouse traps and a scarer, oh well I could always wrap them up and give them to the 'boss' for Christmas trouble is I don't think I would live long enough to enjoy the 'home if I did that (lol)

Mouse traps, I've found the best are the old fashioned type made of wood. The bait used is always peanut butter. I have them in the garage at the moment, caught two last week but at the moment the latest ones are too clever and nick the bait.

I did find the electronic ones good but the problem was once they get in others follow on the scent, they pee as they run so there's no way of avoiding more once they're in.

Archived