Truma heater gas X. Fan??

Pampam

I have a Truma heater in my van it works lovely (hallelujah ) when I have it on mains I run the fan that blows the air around the ducts .but when I have it on gas I just use the heater part am I supposed to use the fan when heater on gas ?and if I do will it use a lot of juice from my leisure battery I have noticed that there is bubbling oc veneer above the heater due to heat (wouldn't you think the heater itself would have been installed with a metal surround doh )pp

I believe you own a 2010 Auto-Trail Arapaho and that the Truma heater will be a Trumatic S-3002 convector heater with the Ultraheat 230V option and a Trumavent blown-air fan-unit.

Truma's operating instructions for the S-3002 heater and Ultraheat option can be found here:

http://dealer.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/30050_93000.pdf

http://dealer.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/30030_72100.pdf

The Auto-Trail handbook for 2010 Frontier models is also downloadable and operating instructions for your heater are on Pages 29-30. You can operate the heater on gas with or without choosing to have the fan-unit running, but Truma advises as follows:

"To ensure even and rapid warm air distribution as well as lower surface temperatures on the heating unit, we recommend that you operate the heater with a running Trumavent warm air system."

As the heater is capable of a higher maximum output on gas than on mains, if you have the heater in 'convector mode' on gas and with a high heat setting, the heater's casing will get pretty hot as will the area directly above it. A Trumavent fan's 12V power consumption ranges from 0.3A-1.0A (say 4W-12W) depending on how fast it's running, so its drain on a battery will not be enormous.

If stick-on veneer has been used on furniture panelling directly above the heater, there's a good chance it will bubble, but I suspect that might have happened in your case even if you had used the fan when operating the heater on gas. Using a more heat-tolerant material (eg. solid wood) for panelling above the heater would perhaps have been preferable, but might have looked out of place. Similarly, if a sheet of metal had been used, you'd almost certainly have disliked the effect.

(I've looked at the Frontier-related section of a 2010 Auto-Trail brochure and pictures of some of the heater installations (where a 'lip' overhangs the heater) look like an open invitation for heat damage if stick-on veneer has been employed.)

Derek Uzzell thankyou next time I'm in the van I will use the fan . I had visions of a fan blowing out the flames somehow ,but will look at instructions and give it a go. I must say it warms the van well am very pleased with it thanks pp

Guest 1footinthegrave
Pampam - 2013-12-08 5:42 AM

I have a Truma heater in my van it works lovely (hallelujah ) when I have it on mains I run the fan that blows the air around the ducts .but when I have it on gas I just use the heater part am I supposed to use the fan when heater on gas ?and if I do will it use a lot of juice from my leisure battery I have noticed that there is bubbling oc veneer above the heater due to heat (wouldn't you think the heater itself would have been installed with a metal surround doh )pp

I thought it was supposed to be us blokes that don't read instructions, or did you not get any with your van. As may have been said, you've got the best of both worlds, a convector heater that uses zero battery power, with the additional comfort of heat directed to other parts of the van, and uses barely any battery power. ;-)

My grey matter simply does not absorb the written instructions I put it down to my wild partying and misspent youth or could it just be that they are instructions and they are boring I don't know : I've had a new phone a week it doesn't work and all I keep doing is picking it up out of its cradle pressing a few buttons cursing it and putting it back ! ((What's the point in that!) . So nope I m rubbish at instructions. But a good book and I'm reading till sunup :pp

Guest 1footinthegrave
Pampam - 2013-12-09 5:32 AM

My grey matter simply does not absorb the written instructions I put it down to my wild partying and misspent youth or could it just be that they are instructions and they are boring I don't know : I've had a new phone a week it doesn't work and all I keep doing is picking it up out of its cradle pressing a few buttons cursing it and putting it back ! ((What's the point in that!) . So nope I m rubbish at instructions. But a good book and I'm reading till sunup :pp

I think very many people are,it's always a last resort for me, and by the look of it, your a fellow insomniac perhaps that's a part of it as well ;-)

Archived