6 or 636 panel van

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Now that I think we have discovered the main differences between fiat and Citroen based drive units, I would like to canvas opinion on the difference between the more popular 6 metre vans and the longer 636 metre vans that weaver seeing more of.. Obviously extra length gives a bit more room, with either larger lounge or single/French bed option, but main reason for post is not the internals, but the drivability, handling etc...and ease of living with your choice....

My take is the 6 metre 3.300 kg is a nicer van to drive then the longer 3500 kg models. Mine is a lovely drive. This backed up by German dealer and he sells 40 a week and knows his stuff, and told me not to upgrade to 3500 as not so nice to drive. Parking, turning circle other things that must be more of a concern....

JudgeMental - 2013-12-08 4:21 PM

Now that I think we have discovered the main differences between fiat and Citroen based drive units, I would like to canvas opinion on the difference between the more popular 6 metre vans and the longer 636 metre vans that weaver seeing more of.. Obviously extra length gives a bit more room, with either larger lounge or single/French bed option, but main reason for post is not the internals, but the drivability, handling etc...and ease of living with your choice....

My take is the 6 metre 3.300 kg is a nicer van to drive then the longer 3500 kg models. Mine is a lovely drive. This backed up by German dealer and he sells 40 a week and knows his stuff, and told me not to upgrade to 3500 as not so nice to drive. Parking, turning circle other things that must be more of a concern....

Eddie, the weight doesn't determine the length as 6.00m vans are available in 3300kg or 3500kg MTPLM depending on make - is this why you have raised this weight difference? I would imagine though that the 6.36m ones are only available on 3500kg (some may be able to go higher with an upgrade?). We have a 6.00m van with a 3500kg weight limit on the Fiat with the 2.3 engine and it drives beautifully, our payload is over 500kg which suits us fine and we carry a lot more than you do (including 2 small dogs and 1 heffalump! :D ).

Speaking from experience with our van, even though it is no longer than our Chausson coachbuilt, because the wheelbase is longer we need more space to manouvre - if we had a 6.36m one it would be worse and we'd need even longer parking spaces! Also you may end up paying more on ferries etc if you use them with a longer vehicle.

I know you have to stay below the 3500kg weight but what is important to you the weight (and available payload considerations) or the length as I can't decide. *-)

A 6m van every time for me. The larger van, though incredibly nice, is getting towards coachbuilt territtory meaning that you lose some of the advantages of panel van ownership. Why have a larger van? In foreign climes (where you seem to use the van most) your time is spent mainly outdoors so why is the additional space needed? Of course if your space requirements have changed that is a different matter.

Most people seem to like larger vehicles so I'm probably in the minority perhaps because I'm a camper at heart and never see the need for a palace on wheels.

My guess is that your request will receive go for more space responses from coachbuilt owners and keep to 6m responses from panel van owners like myself.

Eddie, i think im right in saying that the wheelbase on both versions is the same and the extra length of the 6.36m van is all behind the rear wheels.

This means the turning circle in the open is no different.

Also, i agree with Mel in that either length van can be ordered in 3300, 3500 or even more?

Hi Judge; I would look closely at the differences in layout that are offered, and look particularly at bed length. If you are under 6'0", and are looking at a longitudinal bed then a 6M van will probably be comfortable.

If you are 6'0"-6'6" then the additional length of the 6.36M van will be of benefit; but only if the manufacturer uses the extra length appropriately (which I sort of doubt). I could allocate the extra length to bed, bog and kitchen, and our van would be perfect.

I've never understood how people even of average height can be comfortable in a transverse bed, hemmed in by both outer walls of the van. I'm equally surprised that people accept being hemmed in by cupboards, fridges and the like in layouts with undersized longitudinal single beds. Makes no sense to me.

I would also take into account the ferry and bridge tolls; if you can see that far ahead, but other than that it will be a matter of personal choice. I suppose crosswinds may be an issue, but that's all,

Regards

alan b

Hi Eddie,

as you know, we have the long one. I've found it dead easy and car-like to drive, with minimal problems when it's windy. It's done 9000 miles around Europe in 6 months, including Alps and Dolomites, with no trouble (yet :-D ).

Being longer, you may of course have problems in some car parks, but that seems to be more an issue here than on European mainland.

I think I've discussed this with you before Eddie, anyway here's my thoughts.

The latest info I have is the 3(+1) variants of 6m suspension and 1(+1) of 6.36m

The 33L and 35L in 6m are both a good drive, you won't notice much differance between your 33L and a 35L but the 35L has a bit more capacity on both axles. The 35H(and 40H) has much more axle capacity, but this gives a harsher ride and is I believe the one your dealer has warned you off.

The 35H(and 40H) in 6.36m is similier to the 6m 35H, harsh ride but good axle capacity.

As for disadvantages of the 6.36m compared to the 6m, well as you can expect there's got to be some, the extra 360mm will swing out a bit more, but not much compared to some coachbuilts, also it will need a bit more room to park, but as the 6m is oversize for a single parking space anyway you'll not have much more to worry about.

Guest JudgeMental

as I said in opening not really about the layout as that decided on a choice of two 636 vans if we decide to change, but driving, parking etc...just trying to work out if it's worthwhile, or more hassle then it's worth

We are 5.10 and 5.9 respectively, and more then happy with the kingsize transverse bed in the Adria with more headroom then most campers...I am more concerned about driving and manuvering . My van is more difficult to manoeuvre then last 6.6 metre CB, in terms of 3 point turn and reversing into my hard stand....but much more enjoyable and relaxing in general

Mikes post makes sense, maybe because we presently live in London and use van as a second vehicle (after the E bikes)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I would have thought any vehicle that is longer than you presently have, and living and using it in London would be more hassle than it's worth, we live in a quiet and traffic free area, and when we bought our IH the intention was to also use it as the "car" in our case that never happened simply too much hassle and impractical, although you do, but you obviously aren't short of a couple of bob so if you could take that aspect out of your decision making process I'd say get the van you need for your travels, and a cheapo second hand Smart car or any little run around to nip round your home turf and for that odd trip down to B&Q etc ;-)

Hi Eddie As you know I have the 636 with single beds and for 3 years before that the Chausson the same layout as yours and there is no way I would go back to the 6 metre van as I have found no difference in driving [10000 miles in a year] also its a little higher as bigger wheels and the difference in space is amazing as with your van the walkway stops at the bed where as with the 636 you have the space in between the beds [where the wife sits and does her makeup and stuff and I still have the rest of the van

Guest JudgeMental

Don't really want a second car, as much prefer to use e bike, as it's more enjoyable, quicker to get around and park. Plus a car just sitting there will be to tempting (especially in winter) and I need the exercise! And even in this weather you feel more energised when you get home....

The more I think about it, the few times I use the van, I don't think the extra length will make that much of a difference, as have to be selective where I take it anyway. Has anyone had problems parking 636 vans in car parks?

We had the 6.5M Rapido and parking was a matter of just-get-on-with-it and park where it fits. No standard car parks at all and at supermarkets across several bays, there's little choice, other drivers at supermarkets know you're only there for a short while. Amongst trucks was OK making sure not to hinder them. I'm a great walker so I always like parking away from anything.

As you would know an A class is wide at the front which sort of makes it appear bigger anyway. We sold it not because of the size but that we didn't do it justice by not using it enough.

Overall I found the size easy to handle, it was a matter of adjusting to what's around you.

PS You mentioned turning circle, OK so perhaps there's a couple more shunts to get where you want but does it matter. We had no comments from others about obstruction. None.

Never yet had a problem parking in a car park, other than the ones with low-flying barriers to stop taller vehicles. Either take 2 spaces or you can often park at an edge where you hang the back over grass or whatever.

No doubt some of the local authority car parks may try and screw you for taking too much room, but it's not happened to me yet...........

JudgeMental - 2013-12-09 8:34 AM...............The more I think about it, the few times I use the van, I don't think the extra length will make that much of a difference, as have to be selective where I take it anyway. Has anyone had problems parking 636 vans in car parks?

Eddie, the 6.00M, and the 6.36M, vans that are otherwise identical spec will have the same turning circle. (Vans on the heavy chassis, with 16" wheels, may possibly have larger turning circles than those on the lighter chassis 15" wheels, because inner wing clearances may restrict maximum lock. Colin will probably know.)

The difference in length is only just over 14" in old money, or 6%. If you can park the former, in the great majority of cases you should be able to park the latter with equal ease.

The extra length behind the rear axle should ensure a bit less of the total load falls on the front, but hardly a significant advantage. Just try to make sure the layout you favour will have enough front axle load capacity at 3.3 tonnes, otherwise you'll need the 3.5 tonne version, of whatever make/length.

Guest JudgeMental

The 636 will be 3500kg as they all are......so they both have the same wheelbase?

There are things I can do with the 6 metre van and others thats are between difficult and out of the question. Actually don't think the extra length will make much difference to be honest..Ta for the input peep's :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-12-09 5:55 PM

Actually don't think the extra length will make much difference to be honest.

For most driving the extra length makes little difference, but as I posted before, there is a little swing out of rear when turning, this is nowhere near as bad as any CB I've driven, not something to be concerned about unless it's very tight for maneuvering, As for parking, as I posted before it will take up two bays just the same as your 6m, if reversing to a kerb, because the wheelbase is the same as your 6m then the nose of van ends up sticking out the same amount.

p.s. We have always preferred to have the smallest van that will meet our needs, would have prefered the 6m van but gf's claustrophobia in a 'twin style' transverse bed knocked that on the head, so a 6.36m with longitudinal beds it's had to be.

Eddie, I wonder if it would be worth you hiring a basic 6.36m van and seeing how you get on with driving it, and putting it onto your hard-standing to ensure it is what you want before you part with a lot of money on a camper?

Whilst the 6.36m camper's actual wheelbase itself may be the same length as the 6.0m camper, the extra overall length will still mean a larger turning circle as you have to allow for the extra sticking out 'bum'!!! Not such a major consideration in an empty car park etc but in a street or coming out of tight junctions it could be a different matter and of course when turning into junctions too from narrow streets, or those with cars parked near the junction etc - this is one reason hubby never really liked a coachbuilt with a long overhang as the 'swing out' effect could be a nuisance at times.

Eddie I might suggest any length is what it is and any dislikes are 'in the mind' as it were. Surely going from a standard car to a van of any length can be off putting for some. Going from a bike to a van must be even worse.

For us country folk any city can be horrendous to drive in and you live in one !

Guest JudgeMental

But I don't drive here much......Preference is to cycle, plus have free public transport (freedom pass) on trains, buses and trams....I used the van twice last week and it's not much different then driving a big car, and when I think about it longer van won't make much difference generally to be honest.

Pepe, three options, keep current van and get busbiker, or as have narrowed choice between two 636 vans, one will need bus biker one can carry bikes in van...... So one van with rack will be about 6.5 m long in travel mode but that's not a real problem on holiday?

JudgeMental - 2013-12-10 9:28 AM

But I don't drive here much......Preference is to cycle, plus have free public transport (freedom pass) on trains, buses and trams....

Eddie, how does one go about getting one of these? I cant get a bus pass here (although i was 60 recently) until im 65 which is my 'normal' retirement age. I had a feeling you were about my age? ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-12-10 9:38 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-12-10 9:28 AM

But I don't drive here much......Preference is to cycle, plus have free public transport (freedom pass) on trains, buses and trams....

Eddie, how does one go about getting one of these? I cant get a bus pass here (although i was 60 recently) until im 65 which is my 'normal' retirement age. I had a feeling you were about my age? ;-)

Was 60 last December and that's when you can get a freedom pass? Went out to Watford last weekend on it for free and wife paid £14 :D

Archived