6 or 636 panel van

Guest JudgeMental

Hmmmmm, different rules for different areas, most annoying >:-)

Who can use it?

Residents of Somerset who are of pensionable age, or residents who are disabled and/or cannot drive for medical reasons are entitled to a concessionary bus pass.

If you were born before 5th April 1950 you are eligible from your 60th birthday.

If you were born after 5th April 1950 the age of eligibility for women will be pension age and for men the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day. From April 2010 the government is gradually increasing the state pension age for women from 60 to 65 by April 2020.

Good luck with the van hunt.

Mel B - 2013-12-10 12:09 AM................Whilst the 6.36m camper's actual wheelbase itself may be the same length as the 6.0m camper, the extra overall length will still mean a larger turning circle as you have to allow for the extra sticking out 'bum'!!! Not such a major consideration in an empty car park etc but in a street or coming out of tight junctions it could be a different matter and of course when turning into junctions too from narrow streets, or those with cars parked near the junction etc - this is one reason hubby never really liked a coachbuilt with a long overhang as the 'swing out' effect could be a nuisance at times.

This isn't strictly true, Mel. The risk of hitting something with the rear outswing when turning depends on the amount of overhang relative to wheelbase, and what manoeuvre is made. If one is parked parallel to, and close beside, something, and one applies full lock before driving off, there is a small risk with the 6.36M van that the rear might swing out sufficiently to catch the object alongside.

However, in almost any other scenario, the greater danger will be catching objects on the inside of the turn, due to the long wheelbase and the extent to which the rear wheels "cut in" when turning. The wheelbase on both 6.0M long and 6.36M versions is the same, at 4,035mm, and the quoted turning circles for both are 14.0M.

Rear overhangs in each case are 1015 (25% of wheelbase) and 1380 (34.2% of wheelbase), so not that significant. This will keep any tendency for the rear to swing out well within the arc described by the front bumper. It is, as you infer, when executing tight turns in vans with rear overhangs of near 50% of wheelbase, that the greatest danger of side-swiping close objects with the rear corner arises.

Eddie already had a 6.0M long van, so is familiar with the extent to which the rear wheels will cut in on tight turns, so I wouldn't expect this relatively small increase in rear overhang to cause him any extra worries in manoeuvring.

Brian, all I can do is speak from our experience regarding 'bum swing'! :D One time we found with the coachbuilts we had to be careful was when turning right into a junction with traffic passing us on the left at the same time, avoiding giving them a bum swipe in addition to watching the traffic coming towards us could be interesting at times. As Eddie lives in London it could prove more 'interesting' for him than for those of us who live in less hectic cities. To some size does matter and 14" especially! :$

As for catching something on the 'inside' of the turn, yes ... I think this is how our inside water tank drain tap got bust whilst hubby was still getting used to the longer wheelbase ... and how he managed to slightly 'scrape' the decals on the drivers side on a stake at the side of him ... but of course it wasn't his fault was it!!!! (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave
You lot should have seen the overhang on the Optare coaches I used to drive ( amongst others ) I never hit anything, and don't get me started on the bendy buses in the midlands we had back in the 70s, a LWB panel van, or a CB should present no difficulties, if it does maybe they shouldn't be driving them. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-10 7:44 PM

You lot should have seen the overhang on the Optare coaches I used to drive ( amongst others ) I never hit anything, and don't get me started on the bendy buses in the midlands we had back in the 70s, a LWB panel van, or a CB should present no difficulties, if it does maybe they shouldn't be driving them. ;-)

But all things are relative, until last year I would occasionally drive a road crane, the biggest vehicle we've had in the yard of the 'new house' is artic with 60ft lowloader trailer, but in the drive of the 'old house' the 6.36 is absolute limit of what will fit on the drive and even a CB of same length won't fit, and I still prefer driving small vehicles and miss the park anywhere convenience of our old T25.

Guest 1footinthegrave
colin - 2013-12-10 9:38 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-10 7:44 PM

But all things are relative, until last year I would occasionally drive a road crane, the biggest vehicle we've had in the yard of the 'new house' is artic with 60ft lowloader trailer, but in the drive of the 'old house' the 6.36 is absolute limit of what will fit on the drive and even a CB of same length won't fit, and I still prefer driving small vehicles and miss the park anywhere convenience of our old T25.

I'm with you on that. ;-) our 5.7 metre IH was almost perfect..............mmm, why have I sold it ?

Archived