Full timing how much??

Pampam

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2013-12-10 5:52 PM

I knew a guy who sold up everything and bought a cheap-ish (£18k) small motorhome.

18k.......cheap 8-).................That's enough for 1 Horace ;-)..............................and 2 spare :D.........

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess most of us know a retired couple, directly or indirectly, who sold up and moved to Spain, maybe in the 1980's. Maybe one of them developed serious health problems and wanted to return to the UK. Or one of them died suddenly and the survivor wanted to return to the UK and buy a property.

None of the examples I know of turned out well.

If I ever considered it I'd have to have a bolthole in UK; and that would make it a lot more expensive. So we'll give it a miss and try to build up our trips to 50:50 here and touring.

Good luck to OP; hope it works out well

regards

alan b

We have always loved travelling and camping and did so at every opportunity, on foot, bicycle, car, train whatever. Since retiring in January 2007 we have not spent a night at home. Is this the famous "Full Timing" that people agonise over, I suppose it must be, but it just seems like doing the obvious thing to us.

Are we motorhomers? Well, we travel in a VW campervan, which is very comfortable, versatile and reasonably economical but at heart we are tent people and spend a lot of time in the awning (Vango Kela, excellent kit.) We often tow a trailer with essential items like a folding electric tandem, spin drier, printer, baked beans etc.

We go south in the winter, its warmer, drier and brighter and interesting.

We have a UK flat with family member in residence.

Our net income is about 20k, one way or another we spend all this.

Will it all go pear shaped and end in tears? Probably, but do you have a life exit strategy that avoids this? I'd love to know.

Do I tend to ramble on endlessly?

Yup. Colin.

Guest JudgeMental
Will85 - 2013-12-10 4:58 PM

We considered it carefully and decided to remain in a house in the UK and spend the odd occasion away doing whatever we wanted with no ties at all. In hindsight it was the best decision for us.

The same goes for so called 'retirement homes' or 'gated communities' I would hate to live amongst a lot of old people.....

Oh I don't know.....feel like a teenager when I go to Benidorm as most 10 or 20 years older at least!lol

Happy, deeply suntanned people enjoying the outside life year round...can't be bad. if it wasn't for my health I would go away in winter for longer periods, have got used to it on my own and it has it's compensations :D

As for full timing here? Not in a million years! Like my home comforts and London living....

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=whispaire+romsey  If you do in fact have problems with your Tuma Boiler  and  live any where near  Hampshire or can travel,you could contact Whispaire in Romsey, they are agents for Truma and are a great  firm to deal with, I had a truma on my  ex hymer and needed a new electrical collar which they had in stock and fitted, I later had a problem with the  fan not working and that proved to be the  thermostat which they changed for me, very good service and not a rip off ,highly recommend them.

I knew a guy who sold up everything and bought a cheap-ish (£18k) small motorhome.

pelmetman - 2013-12-10 6:09 PM

18k.......cheap 8-).................That's enough for 1 Horace ;-)..............................and 2 spare :D.........

Pelmet......£18k doesn't buy you an awful lot in the motorhome world. Can't remember the model this guy had but it was a second hand CB. Yes you can get some very cheap vans, but how mechanically reliable they are is another matter not to mention the constant fixing this or that. Great fun when young and physically fit but as you get older it becomes less 'fun' (i even struggle to do something as simple as an oil change now!).

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-10 6:17 AM

Mel B - 2013-12-10 12:00 AM

Strewth - £12-£15k!!!

We only spend about £11k max living at home including holidays! 8-)

I presume that's when your not on a "spending spree" .................I'd love to see a breakdown of your 11K, especially given some of the spending you've detailed on these forums, haven't you just had a conservatory this year for example, and loads more besides, not to mention all those "bargains" you share with us all ? :-S

Oh dear, here we go again ... just for you footy I'll try to explain!

Our 'normal' living expenses per year are around £11k, that includes some spending on smaller items (new TV or the like), holidays including spending money, travel and fuel costs), vets fees etc, we also always have a contingency amount just to be safe for unexpected costs (repairs etc).

Yes we've spent a fair bit recently but that is very much the exception rather than the rule so it isn't included in our normal annual spending as it isn't something we'd do every year, or would NEED to do! I do know how much we spend because we keep a record! When we decided to leave work and therefore not expect to have any income for 8 years (then hubby's work pension will kick in) we had to plan very carefully. We saved for a good few years beforehand to ensure we would have enough to be able to do it as, at the time, we did NOT know that we would get severance pay, so we were expecting to be totally reliant on our own finances. As it turned out we were very lucky to get severance and it is 'my' severance money that I've used to pay for the conservatory at £9,000, the gutter/soffit replacement cost of £1,800, and the unexpected bl**dy woodworm/roof work too which cost an extra £4,700!!! *-) In addition there will be the cost of the redecoration, flooring for the kitchen and conservatory, blinds, some 'second hand' furniture for the conservatory, and the 'new to us' cooker, totalling around another £1,000 max I would think, that's a total of £16,500. We're also doing other work too whilst were at it, such as replacing the carport roof at a cost of around £150 plus some fencing probably around another £50, making £200 (this would normally come out of our contingency amount though).

We did change the car for a new one at a cost of ours plus £3,000 but that wasn't a necessity however it has set us up for the future as we don't have any intention of changing it and over 3 years it won't have cost us any more (including the extra capital outlay) than it would to have kept our old car.

So this year the 'total' major spending will come to £19,700, say £20,000 for a nice round figure! :D But that will be it for a while (major unexpected repairs excepted!).

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2013-12-10 7:20 PM

pelmetman - 2013-12-10 6:09 PM

Pelmet......£18k doesn't buy you an awful lot in the motorhome world. Can't remember the model this guy had but it was a second hand CB. Yes you can get some very cheap vans, but how mechanically reliable they are is another matter not to mention the constant fixing this or that. Great fun when young and physically fit but as you get older it becomes less 'fun' (i even struggle to do something as simple as an oil change now!).

Constant fixing :-S..............who keeps spreading this myth about older vans? *-)................when was the last thread on this forum about a mechanical problem with a older van..............most appear to be about mechanical failure on vans less than 5 years old >:-)...................

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-10 12:14 PM

I'm just trying to imagine full timing in a foreign country right now, with a knackered Truma boiler hence no heating or hot water, it's proving difficult enough to sort out here, the idea of being up somewhere wandering abroad without any language skills and trying to sort it would be unthinkable.

We had this very occurrence this year whilst in Germany! *-) It wasn't a problem to get it fixed despite the language problems as the local motorhome dealer, who spoke no English, was extremely helpful and rang Truma for us and we arranged to meet the mobile technician just off a motorway junction, it was fixed the same day! There is always a way to get things fixed, its just a matter of not being defeatist! :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2013-12-10 7:27 PM

Strewth - £12-£15k!!!

I presume that's when your not on a "spending spree" .................I'd love to see a breakdown of your 11K, especially given some of the spending you've detailed on these forums, haven't you just had a conservatory this year for example, and loads more besides, not to mention all those "bargains" you share with us all ? :-S

Our 'normal' living expenses per year are around £11k, that includes some spending on smaller items (new TV or the like), holidays including spending money, travel and fuel costs), vets fees etc, we also always have a contingency amount just to be safe for unexpected costs (repairs etc).

Yes we've spent a fair bit recently but that is very much the exception rather than the rule so it isn't included in our normal annual spending as it isn't something we'd do every year, or would NEED to do! I do know how much we spend because we keep a record! When we decided to leave work and therefore not expect to have any income for 8 years (then hubby's work pension will kick in) we had to plan very carefully. We saved for a good few years beforehand to ensure we would have enough to be able to do it as, at the time, we did NOT know that we would get severance pay, so we were expecting to be totally reliant on our own finances. As it turned out we were very lucky to get severance and it is 'my' severance money that I've used to pay for the conservatory at £9,000, the gutter/soffit replacement cost of £1,800, and the unexpected bl**dy woodworm/roof work too which cost an extra £4,700!!! *-) In addition there will be the cost of the redecoration, flooring for the kitchen and conservatory, blinds, some 'second hand' furniture for the conservatory, and the 'new to us' cooker, totalling around another £1,000 max I would think, that's a total of £16,500. We're also doing other work too whilst were at it, such as replacing the carport roof at a cost of around £150 plus some fencing probably around another £50, making £200 (this would normally come out of our contingency amount though).

We did change the car for a new one at a cost of ours plus £3,000 but that wasn't a necessity however it has set us up for the future as we don't have any intention of changing it and over 3 years it won't have cost us any more (including the extra capital outlay) than it would to have kept our old car.

So this year the 'total' major spending will come to £19,700, say £20,000 for a nice round figure! :D But that will be it for a while (major unexpected repairs excepted!).

In short then, virtually twice the annual figure you quoted.

I thought it better to rent the house out ,my hubby would rather sell and downsize ,we can't actually do anything at the moment as we both work and have an older generation that I wouldn't want to leave behind.for long periods of time .we ended up part exing our other van that was too small and claustrophobic in our wet winters and we found we were getting a bit on top of each other( before you say it no not like that!) and have a van that we both find very comfortable for English climate. I hate all the council tax, water rates ,and standing charges for gas and electric , tv license and thought if we rented we pass that on to someone else .but your right tenants don't look after your property like you would. Any how it's all food for thought gives me something to think about when am at work and customers being a pain lol grr pp

Guest 1footinthegrave
Here's another option, flog the house and come here and buy a freehold chalet that you can live in 52 weeks of the year, price......................£35,000. ;-)

pelmetman - 2013-12-10 7:31 PM

Constant fixing :-S..............who keeps spreading this myth about older vans? *-)................when was the last thread on this forum about a mechanical problem with a older van..............most appear to be about mechanical failure on vans less than 5 years old >:-)

Because the majority own more recent model vans than those who own old ones.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Bulletguy - 2013-12-10 9:10 PM

Constant fixing :-S..............who keeps spreading this myth about older vans? *-)................when was the last thread on this forum about a mechanical problem with a older van..............most appear to be about mechanical failure on vans less than 5 years old >:-)

Not sure about that, I think you'll find at least 3 1990 Transits still on the road. :D :D :D one of those is Dave's

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2013-12-10 9:10 PM

Motor Caravan registered in UK

In total on the 31st December 2010 173,348

30th September 2011 176,938 including SORN

30th September 2012 is 202,216 plus 25,127 SORN total 227,343

DVLA have been registering on average 9,000 new Motor Caravans per year during the period.

5 years x 9000 = 45000 newer vehicles, subtract total vehicles 227343 = 182343 older vehicles which can reverse up hill without problem :D.........

Pampam - 2013-12-10 8:48 PM

I thought it better to rent the house out ,my hubby would rather sell and downsize....

I hate all the council tax, water rates ,and standing charges for gas and electric , tv license and thought if we rented we pass that on to someone else .but your right tenants don't look after your property like you would. Any how it's all food for thought gives me something to think about when am at work and customers being a pain lol grr pp

I think you speak for most re. your hates! Inflation rate busting utility costs gone stratospheric, punitive taxation, the most expensive fuel prices in Europe......the list is endless.

Ever thought of shipping out altogether? And no i'm not talking 'fulltiming' but emigrating which is a much cheaper alternative if you choose the right country. No idea of your personal 'circs' but i'd given it serious consideration. Only problem for me was i left it too late.

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-10 9:22 PM

Not sure about that, I think you'll find at least 3 1990 Transits still on the road. :D :D :D one of those is Dave's

Likewise.....except mine is 10 years newer but a Mk5 and not the Mk6.

Mechanics on older diesel Transits are fine.....tin worm is the major problem. The engines will still be running long after all the bodywork has dropped off!

pelmetman - 2013-12-10 9:23 PM

DVLA have been registering on average 9,000 new Motor Caravans per year during the period.

5 years x 9000 = 45000 newer vehicles, subtract total vehicles 227343 = 182343 older vehicles which can reverse up hill without problem :D.........

Mr D Pelmetman BSc. MSc (Motorhomes) :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Bulletguy - 2013-12-10 9:23 PM

Pampam - 2013-12-10 8:48 PM

I thought it better to rent the house out ,my hubby would rather sell and downsize....

I hate all the council tax, water rates ,and standing charges for gas and electric , tv license and thought if we rented we pass that on to someone else .but your right tenants don't look after your property like you would. Any how it's all food for thought gives me something to think about when am at work and customers being a pain lol grr pp

I think you speak for most re. your hates! Inflation rate busting utility costs gone stratospheric, punitive taxation, the most expensive fuel prices in Europe......the list is endless.

Ever thought of shipping out altogether? And no i'm not talking 'fulltiming' but emigrating which is a much cheaper alternative if you choose the right country. No idea of your personal 'circs' but i'd given it serious consideration. Only problem for me was i left it too late.

Yes I wish I'd bit the bullet a few years ago and moved to Spain and bought a house in the sun, problem now for many out there is they are looking at that house ending up a tent, and the loss of all they worked for..........and yet Spain was touted as the "right place " for many, frying pans and fires eh :-( many that went to Oz have found it less than a walk in the park, and come back, so what do you do ?

Stop here and moan like me, you know it makes sense. :D

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2013-12-10 9:36 PM

pelmetman - 2013-12-10 9:23 PM

Mr D Pelmetman BSc. MSc (Motorhomes) Able Seaman RN Retired VD Bar & Scar, Grade 3 CSE in History and Collectors badge in the scouts, Self Proclaimed Diploma in Advanced Pouffe Stuffing & Pelmet Fiddling :D

A few corrections.............I'd hate people to think I was a unqualified idiot(lol) (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-12-10 9:44 PM

This forums like kippers for repeating on yerself *-).....

So says the biggest Kipper on here.

JudgeMental - 2013-12-10 6:26 PM

Oh I don't know.....feel like a teenager when I go to Benidorm as most 10 or 20 years older at least!lol

Happy, deeply suntanned people enjoying the outside life year round...can't be bad. if it wasn't for my health I would go away in winter for longer periods, have got used to it on my own and it has it's compensations :D

As for full timing here? Not in a million years! Like my home comforts and London living....

Hi Judge

I think your opinion of the age differences of campers on your Benidorm site is the other way round when compared to you, you old fart

You don't include me in that age group do you Judge

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-10 7:35 PM

Mel B - 2013-12-10 7:27 PM

Strewth - £12-£15k!!!

In short then, virtually twice the annual figure you quoted.

No, you were referring to living expenses, not 'wants' expenses ... now grow up and stop acting like a brat! :D

Archived