Full timing how much??

Pampam

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-10 8:56 PM

Here's another option, flog the house and come here and buy a freehold chalet that you can live in 52 weeks of the year, price......................£35,000. ;-)

What ... live near you! 8-) I don't think anyone is THAT stupid!!!! *-)

Its bad enough having to 'talk' to you on here and take all the nit-picking you do, but to live near you ... my goodness we'd have to be total sadists!!! ;-)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave

Oh now I get it, my annual expenses are 11k, my wants expenses which include gas,electric, council tax, running the car and motorhome are another 11k, but can be ignored, as well as the new conservatory that cost 5k., so 27- 16 = 11, wow your right.

By the way can you guess what I would think of someone having three dogs in a very small van, ;-) that's right TOTAL SADISTS. :D living by me would make no difference to you at all in that regard, now would it.

night night, hope the doggies keep you warm. ;-)

pelmetman - 2013-12-10 9:44 PM

Mr D Pelmetman BSc. MSc (Motorhomes) Able Seaman RN Retired VD Bar & Scar, Grade 3 CSE in History and Collectors badge in the scouts, Self Proclaimed Diploma in Advanced Pouffe Stuffing & Pelmet Fiddling :D

A few corrections.............I'd hate people to think I was a unqualified idiot(lol) (lol)

How many Pouffs have you stuffed? :D

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2013-12-11 1:26 AM

Mr D Pelmetman BSc. MSc (Motorhomes) Able Seaman RN Retired VD Bar & Scar, Grade 3 CSE in History and Collectors badge in the scouts, Self Proclaimed Diploma in Advanced Pouffe Stuffing & Pelmet Fiddling :D

A few corrections.............I'd hate people to think I was a unqualified idiot(lol) (lol)

Physically? 8-)...........................

None since 2011 ;-)....................

As I have a couple of "Chaps that can" who do it for me now days :D..............

Leaving me more time to do nothing B-)...............

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-12-11 8:01 AM

Bulletguy - 2013-12-11 1:26 AM

Physically? 8-)...........................

None since 2011 ;-)....................

As I have a couple of "Chaps that can" who do it for me now days :D..............

Well that's nothing........................but only ignoring the fact that you spend 99% of your waking time doing something. ;-)

Posting on here.

We all have to run our homes and lives with a budget of some sort.

This is made up different elements. We all have revenue costs, those which enable us to exist, heating, rates, food. Add to that the costs which help us add a bit of comfort (tho today seen as necessities) like a car and associated costs, possibly a holiday or two. These costs are generally met by income, a salary or pension, or that thing of the past, interest....

As motorhomers, we will usually factor in all of our van costs, fuel, insurance, site fees etc. again, its likely that these will have to met from income.

For most, doing the above will absorb most of that precious imcome.

However, as seen in Mels post, we will all likely experience costs associated with capital expense, a comsevatory, maintenance on our home, a daughters wedding (my ongoing delight, lol) etc.

These costs will have to met from other funds, possibly savings (which in turn have to be accrued by diverting income) or frm a loan which will need repaying, again by diverting income.

Running costs for annual revenue items generally cant be ignred, gas, electric, rates etc and we must all have sufficient to survive if retirement is to be enjoyed.

Those expenses for our vanning hobby will also need to met without strain if we are not to be worrying about money instead of enjoying what we do.

However, those capital costs are sometimes optional. You may not need a conservatory for example but you may have to carry out expensive repairs.

To include 'projects' into the general living costs will not give a true picture.

It it perfectly possible to live and tour on the figures being given in this thread while it is also possible for people to spend this amount again on 'conservatories', cruises, other holidays, new cars etc etc.

So, touring can be manageable cost wise and i have my own firm handle on what we spend although i currently only know it as £x over and above what it costs us to live if we didnt have the van.

I could easily divvy up our monthly expenditure to show what it costs us to live each month and then do the same for our annual motorhome spend. I suppose this would give a figure for vanning each month, and we spend approx six months in the van each year.

On top of that, if we kept our house, we would still have to add in what that costs each month even when we are away....

I reckon i could come up with a figure but not sure i want the stress of the answer!

All i know is that currently, we manage ok but spend all we receive which is probably the answer for most on this forum.

Good luck pampam .

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-12-11 8:40 AM

Well that's nothing........................but only ignoring the fact that you spend 99% of your waking time doing something. ;-)

Posting on here.

Having the time to do nothing is one of lifes great pleasures :D.................and I suspect its something the OP would like the option of more often ;-)..............

Guest 1footinthegrave
You could be correct, but I guess it is what you do for a crust, that makes the biggest difference, for the last third of my working life I loved what I did.................downside was the money was crap. ;-)

There is an interesting article in the DM today in the finance section where they outline a series of questions asking what you would like to do in retirement, and the giving an estimate of the annual income you will need to do it. OK, some of the questions are a bit OTT but in general they do encompass what a lot of us dream about while working, and then have to face reality when we retire.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2521544/Want-retire-luxury-Take-quiz-big-pension-need.html

I accept that this is a slight difference from the costs of fulltiming but would suggest there are similarities as it is unlikely that as fulltimers you have a fulltime job unless you have a skill that you can use on the laptop.

So, what you are trying to achieve is an income that will cover all your essential outgoings, and leave enough to cover many of your desirable outgoings. One point that seems to come up a lot is downsizing, and many people think this will be the answer to all the problems. Sell up, buy a small place and pocket the difference. It does not often work that way as to get something you actually wish to live in will often cost a lot more than you bargained for, and if it is not new, may need some work to bring it up to standard. By the time you are finished the 'pot' you hoped for has become much smaller. if it is even still there. Plus with any house move there are associated costs, so my advice is to try and manage what you have as it may be cheaper. However, if you are at a younger age and have a good few years of work ahead then if you decide to move consider moving to something you will want in retirement. We did by selling the large'ish house in our late 40's and buying a flat rather than another house. Did not save any money by the time we had finished but now as retirees we are perfectly happy with the low maintenance costs and me not having to go up ladders anymore. Paid the legal fees etc just the once and do not have the issue of sentimentality of moving out of the 'family home' at a late age. Plus when the day comes when one of us shuffles off the mortal coil, the other has a home easy enough to handle. And the really good bit...............we can go off on long trips away without worry about waist high grass etc.

As with anything costs are a relative thing. Some people claim they can live on 50 quid per week, but I suspect some perhaps like Poshy Spice would disagree with that. Most of us are in the between bit somewhere and would like to have a comfortable life, if not always 5 star.

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-10 11:06 PM

Oh now I get it, my annual expenses are 11k, my wants expenses which include gas,electric, council tax, running the car and motorhome are another 11k, but can be ignored, as well as the new conservatory that cost 5k., so 27- 16 = 11, wow your right.

By the way can you guess what I would think of someone having three dogs in a very small van, ;-) that's right TOTAL SADISTS. :D living by me would make no difference to you at all in that regard, now would it.

Are you really such a muppet as you appear to be? (lol)

Just in case you are then obviously I'll explain: of course the gas, electric, water rates, council tax, running the car, motorhome, holiday expenses, food etc are all included in my annual expenses figure as they are what we will incur each year. The purchase of the conservatory, the motorhome and car are NOT normally incurred every year so are less 'necessary' (I included the car cost simply to show that we had THOUGHT about it not only from a 'nice to have' point of view but financially too!). I could have done without the bl**dy woodworm cost though ... but somehow I get the feeling that you quite 'like' that we had to pay for that too! *-)

As for the dogs ... they are lovely little snuggley critters ... quite the opposite of you! Perhaps I should have said we would have to be SAD-ists, rather than sadists to live near you ... yes, we'd have to be sad, very sad to want to be anywhere near someone with such a large chip on his shoulder who then tries to 'infect' everyone else with his miserable whinging and witterings. *-)

Off to do tea now ... I might even let the dogs LICK THE PLATES afterwards simply because I know it will really, really annoy you!!!! (lol)

We spend about 120 days away in the UK in our motorhome a year. This usually works out at around £3000 for fuel and site fees etc but not food etc which we would have to buy no matter where we were. So to full time should be possible for around £9000 taking into account that pitch fees would be lower in the winter.

No intention of doing so though. We like our comfortable house and having a fixed home base. We would also need a much larger motorhome to full time which I would not be able to drive being well over 70 and diabetic.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2013-12-11 7:17 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-10 11:06 PM

Are you really such a muppet as you appear to be? (lol)

Just in case you are then obviously I'll explain: of course the gas, electric, water rates, council tax, running the car, motorhome, holiday expenses, food etc are all included in my annual expenses figure as they are what we will incur each year. The purchase of the conservatory, the motorhome and car are NOT normally incurred every year so are less 'necessary' (I included the car cost simply to show that we had THOUGHT about it not only from a 'nice to have' point of view but financially too!). I could have done without the bl**dy woodworm cost though ... but somehow I get the feeling that you quite 'like' that we had to pay for that too! *-)

As for the dogs ... they are lovely little snuggley critters ... quite the opposite of you! Perhaps I should have said we would have to be SAD-ists, rather than sadists to live near you ... yes, we'd have to be sad, very sad to want to be anywhere near someone with such a large chip on his shoulder who then tries to 'infect' everyone else with his miserable whinging and witterings. *-)

Off to do tea now ... I might even let the dogs LICK THE PLATES afterwards simply because I know it will really, really annoy you!!!! (lol)

Actually I'd be delighted if you do, after all it's you that eats off them, not me . :D

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2013-12-11 7:19 PM

We spend about 120 days away in the UK in our motorhome a year. This usually works out at around £3000 for fuel and site fees etc but not food etc which we would have to buy no matter where we were. So to full time should be possible for around £9000 taking into account that pitch fees would be lower in the winter.

No intention of doing so though. We like our comfortable house and having a fixed home base. We would also need a much larger motorhome to full time which I would not be able to drive being well over 70 and diabetic.

Do you not cross the ditch Colin? :-S.................

Funnily enough am quite happy tootling around G Britain at the moment and just look forward to getting abroad when time allows . The vans big enough for comfort but not very agile for nipping around narrow streets and sharp bends etc probably when we are lucky enough to retire we will get a smaller van like a PVC to go abroad in warm weather so we don't have to sit inside watching the rain don't know yet but it's good listening to others advice and pondering on it thanks pp:). Just had a letter off EON to say standing charges going up Grrr

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-11 7:28 PM

Actually I'd be delighted if you do, after all it's you that eats off them, not me . :D

Oh, I forgot, you only eat off the floor .... (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2013-12-11 10:33 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-11 7:28 PM

Oh, I forgot, you only eat off the floor .... (lol)

Oh dear if you're going to come back and respond you really need to do better than that, and its not at all a good idea with all the dog crap the likes of you leave behind, and your plates don't sound much better either.

Guest Peter James
Pelmetman you manage well with a 20+ year old van because you have had it from new, looked after it, and know it well. Going out any buying a 20+ year old van is a very different matter. That is a lottery with the odds against you.

This total can also be kept below 'pro rata' for longer periods by reducing the amount of mileage involved. Some extended stayers may reside in the same place for a while rather than actuall 'tour'.

Obviously, everyone different, but distances can be covered in a les frenetic manner when you have loads of time, reducing the fuel cost per month.

For 2013, we have not been away as much as last year, i reckon about 150 nights against nearer 200 last year, where more were free. However, we have remained just about within our budget of £3000 for fuel and sites, so similar to Colin.

In the UK we use CL/CS sites when we can, as we like them, along with some Club site when travelling with our pals. We also have stayed on free dealer type sites at their exhibitions which have been a springboard onto somewhere else.

Our 3 month Continental trip earlier in the year consisted of a mix of aires/stellplatz (free and chargeable) and ACSI sites

Our gas is refillable so that keeps the cost down too.

In my limited experience, i would say that it is definitely possible to 'fulltime' on around the £10-12k figure mentioned, provided that all 'home' costs are well battened down.

Guest 1footinthegrave
bolero boy - 2013-12-12 9:37 AM

This total can also be kept below 'pro rata' for longer periods by reducing the amount of mileage involved. Some extended stayers may reside in the same place for a while rather than actuall 'tour'.

Obviously, everyone different, but distances can be covered in a les frenetic manner when you have loads of time, reducing the fuel cost per month.

For 2013, we have not been away as much as last year, i reckon about 150 nights against nearer 200 last year, where more were free. However, we have remained just about within our budget of £3000 for fuel and sites, so similar to Colin.

In the UK we use CL/CS sites when we can, as we like them, along with some Club site when travelling with our pals. We also have stayed on free dealer type sites at their exhibitions which have been a springboard onto somewhere else.

Our 3 month Continental trip earlier in the year consisted of a mix of aires/stellplatz (free and chargeable) and ACSI sites

In my limited experience, i would say that it is definitely possible to 'fulltime' on around the £10-12k figure mentioned, provided that all 'home' costs are well battened down.

I think you're correct Chris, but there's a world of difference to something being possible, and being enjoyable, lounging around on a free and almost deserted lakeside Aire that we did in glorious late summer sun, with swimming in the sandy bottomed lake was divine, and did not cost us a bean, but I wouldn't want to be there right now ............bleak, grey and cold with bugger all to do.

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2013-12-12 8:57 AM

Pelmetman you manage well with a 20+ year old van because you have had it from new, looked after it, and know it well. Going out any buying a 20+ year old van is a very different matter. That is a lottery with the odds against you.

Not quite new.....18 months old.........but I agree the number of 20 + year old vans in the same conditions as ours is limited.........but they do appear from time to time ;-)

Even so there's frequently on ebay a number of older vans ie over 10 years that have been cherished by a previous owner, that have years of life left in them............with the bonus that any problems will have been ironed out, plus no DPF's, Catalytic converters or dodgy reversing problems..........AND minimal or no depreciation B-).......

pelmetman - 2013-12-11 7:32 PM

Do you not cross the ditch Colin? :-S.................

No got feed up with that years ago.

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-12 10:45 AM

bolero boy - 2013-12-12 9:37 AM

I think you're correct Chris, but there's a world of difference to something being possible, and being enjoyable, lounging around on a free and almost deserted lakeside Aire that we did in glorious late summer sun, with swimming in the sandy bottomed lake was divine, and did not cost us a bean, but I wouldn't want to be there right now ............bleak, grey and cold with bugger all to do.

Mike, i was hoping that any lake we ended up by, might be free but also still in the sunshine due to a 'follow the sun' policy.

As i said earlier, i would be OK with doing a bit of UK touring during the summer months bit would not fancy spending any great length of time touring the UK during winter.

Good weather, cheap food and drink and a bit of company really can help stave off the winter blues, id rather be in Spain now but we're here because needs must, tho will be away extensively asap.

Winter touring in the UK can be expensive and, sometimes hard work. Food, fuel and entertainment cost plenty and short cold days make it difficult to keep occupied without spending money. My comments about the feasibility of 'full timing' (or lts's say 'long staying') is a might easier with the sun on your back and a pound/euro rate giving you a 20% advantage. We just convert our budget from pounds to euros on a one to one basis and we still live plenty comfortably for 20% less.

Still, the bottom line is what do you consider is needed to live comfortably, we are all different. Once you know that figure, you can decide if you can afford to do it.

To anyone (incl the OP) who is thinking about it, i say try it for a few months, cost it up, see if you like the lifestyle without burning your bridges.

I have been wanting to full time for a few years now but Mrs D doesnt want to make that final leap. Women are nest builders and all that bollox.

We spend at least 50% of the year in the van but its been a struggle. Im still self employed but only work a fraction of what I used to. Its bloody expensive though being away long term and keeping a biggish empty house going as well as other vehicles etc.

I could of course bin motorhoming completely and either go back to a full time job or commit to more self employed stuff where I need to be here. I think I would rather put a gun to my head though.

I did some sums recently though. If we sold the house I could buy 4 cheap ones in a high rent area and probably make £450 per month each on rent on each one. If I carried on doing bits of work from the van plus other income (not much but a bit) I reckon we would be quids in. Probably in excess of £35K a year less the costs of living in the van, less the costs of house repairs etc etc, empty properties.

Our monthly costs in the van are about £1000 a month for living and fuel but this does not include repairs, insurance MOT etc but it still looks appealing. We would have to be increadibly unfortunate to not get to the end of the year and have saved a few quid plus I would have four properties hopefully going up in value at some point.

That would be my ideal plan but can I get Mrs D to even discuss it? Nope!

Guest 1footinthegrave
In my experience, and in talking with others, the little ladies God bless them don't share most blokes enthusiasm for a life on the road, my missus starts getting twitchy around week 6 to 8, plus the pull of the grand children, so don't be too hard on her. Plus remember she's saving you the delights of slopping out every couple of days, and possibly spoiling the dream, sometimes isn't it a case of be careful what you wish for ?

Archived