"Quadrant type awning" for PVC

snowie

Hi all;

I'm sorry if this subject has been done before; I've searched but can't find specific query. I may have done one myself, but am still looking for an answer.

We have a Fiamma F65 to which I would like to attach a moderately priced awning ( F65 used only to locate awning, not wound out!!).

I haven't seen a photo of an awning attached to a PVC, so am looking for someone who has bitten the bullet.

Looking to head for Murcia area in Jan/Feb, for a few weeks, so would like to have a bit of extra space and draught protection. Obviously on campsites, not "wilding", so we'll probably not up sticks that often.

If you have a similar product your views will be appreciated.

Here's an example; http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/products/kampa-rally-pro-330-porch-awning-2013---ce740372/

regards

alan b

Hi Alan..

We used(and still occasionally use) an Outdoor revolution *Easi-Porch when we had our Duetto.Being a caravan awning, it was a bit "saggy", as we didn't really have enough height(..probably not an issue on yours though...).

* http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/membershop/bd_easiporch.asp

It was **VERY simple to put up ..and I think they updated them since ours (..possibly fibreglass poles etc). that is, if they still make them at all....?

(**..we sold our Movelite driveaway' without using it in anger because when trying it out on the drive', it was too much like putting the tent up again!).

The easiporch has taken a fair bit of hammer..and nothing has given way on it..

Although the one major failing with our "model", was that it didn't have side doors..so we used to just leave one end "unpegged"...that and being only a "porch", if fully opened, some of the sliding door was outside in the elements.

There does seem to be loads of different brands of "caravan porch" awnings about though, so I'm not saying the one we tried is any better than any of the others.... ;-)

If I was to choose again, I would look for one with more versatile door/panel openings..

(Oh..and we paid around 60-70 quid for ours...)

Edit: Well, it looks like they've altered them a far bit since we bought ours..

http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/products/easi-porch-ex-2011/

...Oooh?! ..I thought Alan meant "Mercia"... (lol)

I've managed to find and dig out a couple photos of the Easiporch on the Duetto..

..and you can see how the lack of rail/fixing height, made it a bit "saggy"(..still usable though).

Although, I've no idea what it'd need to contend with, RE: the Spanish winds....

:$

1460985802_Resized1.jpg.360313743dc68085404ce46452231736.jpg

499185759_Resized2.jpg.de8df4091b20fb60fb17fb21c8db1fd7.jpg

We got a basic type caravan awning from a car boot sale for £10! It was a porch awning but an XL model so it was bigger than normal, it stood up to lots of weather whilst we were at Newark show in March this year and the snow on the roof of it didn't make it budge at all, it was also very stable in the wind and didn't rattle around during the night (I know because it would have woken me up!).

We have had various Outdoor Revolution drive-away awnings and I'd rather put up and take down the porch awning when we want to move, than mess about putting up the OR awning and carrying it around (or any other drive-away one) as they are quite bulky.

Forgot to say, we used our 'figure of 8' connecting tape/plastic to connect it to the existing F65 awning which made it easy to attach and remove (you need something as the piping that comes on caravan awnings is too 'fat' to go into the channel on the Fiamma wind-out awnings anyway).

The below are photos of us using it at Newark.

2037520089_AwningatNewark1.JPG.98651a42c65edffb59723ba90408408d.JPG

694445939_AwningatNewark2.JPG.17ff8203fd26d3b54e5de01adbdd8708.JPG

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2013-12-11 10:35 AM

Hi all;

I'm sorry if this subject has been done before; I've searched but can't find specific query. I may have done one myself, but am still looking for an answer.

We have a Fiamma F65 to which I would like to attach a moderately priced awning ( F65 used only to locate awning, not wound out!!).

I haven't seen a photo of an awning attached to a PVC, so am looking for someone who has bitten the bullet.

Looking to head for Murcia area in Jan/Feb, for a few weeks, so would like to have a bit of extra space and draught protection. Obviously on campsites, not "wilding", so we'll probably not up sticks that often.

If you have a similar product your views will be appreciated.

Here's an example; http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/products/kampa-rally-pro-330-porch-awning-2013---ce740372/

regards

alan b

As Eddie said you need something substantial for when the wind blows down Souf 8-).......and ours survived this winters gales, even though the tents next door shredded and the site industrial gazebo was wrecked :-S...............

P1000494web.jpg.2e1e48e26e467b3c8bb30491e517fc45.jpg

pelmetman - 2013-12-11 9:33 PM

As Eddie said you need something substantial for when the wind blows down Souf 8-).......and ours survived this winters gales, even though the tents next door shredded and the site industrial gazebo was wrecked :-S...............

Thanks dave;

from that I would take it that a "substantial" awning would be a better bet than a "cheapo"?

Was yours sold as a "drive-away-awning"?

Your solution appears to be a frame tent with a linking sunshade? that could allow a bit of variation in parking position if you did in fact take the van out for a daytrip? Good thinking.

We are thinking that public transport, maybe bikes, and more likely a hire car will figure in our budget calc's.

thanks for response,

alan b

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2013-12-11 11:33 PM

pelmetman - 2013-12-11 9:33 PM

Thanks dave;

from that I would take it that a "substantial" awning would be a better bet than a "cheapo"?

Was yours sold as a "drive-away-awning"?

Your solution appears to be a frame tent with a linking sunshade? that could allow a bit of variation in parking position if you did in fact take the van out for a daytrip? Good thinking.

We are thinking that public transport, maybe bikes, and more likely a hire car will figure in our budget calc's.

thanks for response,

alan b

Yes its a driveaway Alan which I think is a useful addition to our setup....... we only use it if we're onsite for at least a week as it is heavy and takes a couple of hours to set up, but as you can see from the pictures we use it in a variety of ways depending on pitch size as we like to create a dog garden for Troy so he doesn't need to be on his lead all the time ;-).............

We have tugger friends who had a safari room for their Fiamma, but we found it created a lot of condensation.

When we are in touring mode we leave the trailer and driveaway at home and use our Fiamma with Sunblockers B-)

P1000493web.jpg.f2d30e034e3f1d3e4009f08b0161143c.jpg

P1000495web.jpg.45cd12430b8683f323ff1753d247066a.jpg

P1000548web.jpg.9bdeb1d0162c91b9541a6f1b20b230f6.jpg

snowie - 2013-12-11 11:33 PM

Thanks dave;

..."Cheapo"?..."CHEAPO" ?! 8-) ..How dare you Sir! (lol) (lol)

It sounds as if it may be worth checking out the second hand ads for a "substantial" used one then..as driveaways do tend to get bought, then sold on due to lack of use...

But don't forget to bear in mind where you're going to store it all when travelling(..after all Dave's got an over cabbed CB AND a not insignificantly sized trailer. ;-) )

Mel B - 2013-12-11 9:23 PM

Forgot to say, we used our 'figure of 8' connecting tape/plastic to connect it to the existing F65 awning which made it easy to attach and remove (you need something as the piping that comes on caravan awnings is too 'fat' to go into the channel on the Fiamma wind-out awnings anyway).

Thanks for that Mel; I think we'll have to search online and then see some "in the flesh"

alan b

We used the fig of 8 stuff on the Duetto(..just hooked onto the gutter)..and to be honest,we had varying degrees of success with it. There were a few occasions, when the wind really got up, that it would try and lift and become unhooked...

That may not be too much of an issue with a self supporting driveaway but with the caravan porch style, which relies on this fixing, it'll end up in a ruck if you're not careful... :-D

There are 4mm to 6mm adapter strips available which allow you to slide it into the groove of the windout but of cause that bit extra length may take the awning away from the van wall..

(there's various bits and pieces on here:

http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/fixing-kits-bits/ )...

On our second van(CB)I fitted an additional/separate awning rail to the underside of the Fiamma(..as I didn't like putting too much "tension" on the plastic closure latches)...and having it slid in a proper groove(as opposed to fig of 8) made for a far more secure fixing...

Guest pelmetman
I never fix our awning to our Fiamma, I had prefered to use the flap over the roof of the camper with it pegged down on the other side, but this winter with the gales in Calpe, the flapping was driving me bonkers so tried rolling the flap and the zip down back door tightly together, and jamming it behind our Fiamma which has a bit of an upstand.........it worked a treat B-)

P1000554web.jpg.704c45d12ea1407dc16da216b985d964.jpg

P1000555.JPG.6797c8bb3945797eee3783183d2894fb.JPG

Archived