Handbrake on new Bessacar E520

Barry Daymond

Having just brought the pride & joy home to N Wales the handbrake travel seems excessive and only just holds on even moderate incline. My local service engineer states this is a problem with these Seval vans and even with new discs etc only just reach an MOT standard. He states that trying to adjust it would interfere with the auto adjust and is not advisable! Surely this can't be right. I know the answer is to take it to a Fiat main dealership but our remote location makes that quite a trip and at the weekend we are off in the mhome to Scotland's north coast for up to 6 weeks Brrrr! I've had three post 2007 Sevals before (all of the Peugeot brand) where this problem hasn't arisen. Can anyone advise as this cannot be safe.!

Barry, Welcome to the Forum,

We have a Fiat Based 2012 Van. Our handbrake is perfectly ok, and our van is parked on a steep slope, so, a dodgy handbrake would be Dangerous in the extreme, I do Chock it,but still dangerous.

Has your van got an Alko chassis ? only I have heard of problems with handbrakes on vans fitted with one (in saying that, my Autocruise with the pre-X250 cab had an Alko chassis, and that never had a handbrake problem, That had Drum rear brakes though.) So, perhaps someone with more 'Tech' on this item can help ? Ray

Lenny is right, he's talking out of his bumhole. Find a real service engineer. The self adjusting gear only applies to the handbrake mechanism but as the handbrake should only be applied when stationary (other than at MOT time) the shoes never wear so the self adjusters have nothing to do. Adjustment is simple to do for any service tech/mechanic worthy of the title.

D.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2013-12-11 8:51 PM

pelmetman - 2013-12-11 8:14 PM

New vans have drums on the rear 8-)..............

So in the last 20 odd years braking hasn't progressed much:D...........

No they have combined disc/drum with ABS etc, much better than the old Tranny's.

Providing it works ;-)...............I much prefer the old fashioned way of a empty road in front B-)........

Not to mention the friendly waving and flashing......... as viewed in my wing mirror from those behind :D.......

Barry Daymond - 2013-12-11 10:57 PM

Thanks Lenny hb. As I suspected. My Bessacar does have the Alko chassis as mentioned by Ray, would this have different brakes? The wheel base has not been extended.

There have been reports of poor handbrake performance for motorhomes with tandem rear-axle Al-Ko chassis, but (as far as I'm aware) such problems are not relevant to single rear-axle motorhomes like yours. The rear brakes themselves will be the same for Al-Ko and 'standard' chassis though the route of the cables from the handbrake to the rear brakes may differ, but I can't see that being significant.

If you click on an emoticon, it will appear (in character format) at the end of the sentence you last typed. If you don't want it there, highlight it and drag it to where you want it to be in the text. Then use the PREVIEW button to see if what you've done looks OK before finally clicking on SUBMIT. Once you've submitted a posting, you've got 30 minutes within which to edit it - after that you can't change it.

Archived