Filling the freshwater tank.

dav7

Hi, my query is. On our recently purchased Autocruise Wentworth, when filling the fresh water tank I noticed that next to the hose connection, on the motorhome, there is also two pin electrical connection and on the end of the hose we connect to the tap to fill the tank is a matching connection. Now a previous owner has removed any electric cables and left just a hose which fits onto the existing connector. The tank can be filled from a tap with the hose no problem, but I would like to know if there is a special pump I can buy which drops into an aqua roll or similar when filling away from a tap. My wife and I are new to motorhoming so any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

:-)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi dav'..

I can't pretend to be familiar with your vehicle but it does sound like it's got(had?) the option of filling via a submersible pump(caravan style)...

Maybe it's worth just having a look at some caravan spares/pump websites, to see if you can find something that looks the same..?(not that I'd bother with an aquaroll to be honest..)

I do recall discussions on some forums where owners of MHs with "caravan style" fillers were playing holy hell about them...and they much preferred to be able to just fill with a hose or funnel/bucket. ;-)

Off Topic..Make sure you drain EVERYTHING down during the cold spells(tanks,loo, water heater etc)and leave ALL the taps open, with the mixers left in the centre position.

Oops! sorry lenny,crossed posts....

dav7 Welcome to the Forum.

this set-up was a standard fitting on Autocruise vans, some folk liked it (me) and some didn't and prefered to take the pump off (your previous owner).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-Truma-Carver-Crystal-2-Maxi-Water-Pump-/190997943431?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2c785d5487

Is this what you are looking for ?

And you will find that a Fiamma Square water carriers are better than an Aquaroll, as it fits into the Underbed storage better. Works for me, when I am too lazy to move the van,or have the awning out.

Ray

Guest pelmetman

Welcome to the asylum Dav7 ;-).............It appears the previous owner wasn't impressed with the latest motorhome design feature of making a easy job complicated *-).....

I presume your an ex tugger if your thinking of aqua rolls :D..................motorhoming is a different way of camping............you'll soon get used to it :-D

i would not bother with an Aqua roll. We just buy a couple of 6 ltr bottles of water, whilst away , the when empty use these to top up the tank, if we can.t get to a tap

Welcome to the forum, hope you will find they advice given to your questions helpful. Most of us will try to help

PJay

Welcome. I don't see the point in having anything like that, it appears any occupants have already had to carry a water container (or roll) from the water tap to the van so why not use a two gallon plastic water-can as we did it was never a problem.

Guest pelmetman
Corky 8 - 2013-12-11 6:52 PM

I've see that set up , People who are staying long term on campsites and on Aires, saves moving the M/H,  and losing their speck.

I know what you mean ;-)..................nothing that an extra hose and a bucket with a hole in can't cure :D

gocro - 2013-12-12 9:01 AM

My Autocruise had a similar set up which meant you could only fill up using the submersible pump.

Ah!..that would've been a similar set-up to the ones I've read folk complaining about then..Aren't they just "caravan based" systems then?(..I've never owned a caravan,so don't know..... :-S )

Thanks very much for all your replies guys. Yes Rayjsj that looks exactly like the fitting for the water connection, may have to get one of those as we don't fancy moving the MH every time we need to fill up, especially if we are all leveled and have the awning set up.

You have some great pics there lennybb. Once again many thanks.

dav7. ;-)

Good, Yes, we had the Pump and a water carrier, AND a hose with 'Crystal connector' on the end, so it could be used either way, just be sure that the Jubilee Clip on the Inside of the Fillercap is Tight, as it will be getting water gushing in at mains pressure, and don't turn the tap on full, when filling up (otherwise you could end up with a 'bed box' full of water, and you thinking ?? I didn't know this van had a 200 gallon fresh water tank ? just a hint.

Fiamma Fresh water carriers and Waste are oblong so fit into bed boxes better than 'barrels'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAMMA-FRESH-WATER-CARRIER-23-LITRE-MOTORHOME-BOAT-CAMPERVAN-CAMPING-/301019934768?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item46162fb030

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Truma-Carver-MK2-Crystal-Pump-Connector-kit-Part-No-40060-60800-/281185254614?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4177f27cd6

Good luck Ray

We hav e the same setup, it comes in very handy if you want to top up the water without moving the van, you can buy the submersible pump from any camping suppliers shop plus a water carrier, we have a 10ltr white carrier with the wide screw top, you just put the pump inside plug in and the hose fits into the water filler at the side of the van, O.H put a switch on the wire so you can stop and start it. Much easier than moving the van and sometimes the water tap on some sites aren't in a suitable place to get close to, we just pitch up and fetch the water when set up.

dav7 - 2013-12-12 10:11 AM

Thanks very much for all your replies guys. Yes Rayjsj that looks exactly like the fitting for the water connection, may have to get one of those as we don't fancy moving the MH every time we need to fill up, especially if we are all leveled and have the awning set up.

You have some great pics there lennybb. Once again many thanks.

dav7. ;-)

Right, first thing, youre now a motorhomer......you dont use stuff like aquarolls and filler pipes etc. all that bulky stuff to carry around. Come on, youve left that regimented lifestyle behind by making one great decision, to buy a motorhome ;-) , now make another and dump all that unnecessary caboodle.

If you cant get a hose to the tap as its too far then all you need is a container and a way to get the water into the filler hole. Many use a watering can to top up, we have a collapsible 10 ltr plastic container which stores flat. To get the water into the tank we have a B&Q type drain-pipe 'elbow' which fits snuggly into the water filler and allows easy swift filling. This is loads better than a funnel as you can operate the 'elbow' hands free as it fits tight enough to stay in place on its own. If its a bit loose, wind a bit of tape around to pad it out, a little trial and error will soon see it just right for your filler hole.

Remember, a full watertank on a MH will last many days depending on your usage pattern. We drink, shower and wash up all from our fresh tank and usually get upto 4 days.

Is easy just to add a couple to 10ltr fills and that extends capacity simply.

Also, depending on length of stay, you may just empty the waste tank on the way out, no faffing about with wastemasters, etc, but again depends on usage.

You need to try out your van and get to understand how long each tank can sustain your style of camping. When you know this you can relax a bit more and forget about humping your caravan kit about in your motorhome.

Good luck.

dav7 - 2013-12-11 4:33 PM

Hi, my query is. On our recently purchased Autocruise Wentworth, when filling the fresh water tank I noticed that next to the hose connection, on the motorhome, there is also two pin electrical connection and on the end of the hose we connect to the tap to fill the tank is a matching connection. Now a previous owner has removed any electric cables and left just a hose which fits onto the existing connector. The tank can be filled from a tap with the hose no problem, but I would like to know if there is a special pump I can buy which drops into an aqua roll or similar when filling away from a tap. My wife and I are new to motorhoming so any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

:-)

I am a great fan of a external pump on my camper.

Allows the filling of the onboard tank via a carry tank from any remote and safe water tap. IE Cemeteries

Works a treat.

This is my set up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr1q81nbc66ahe2/P1030540.jpg

And this is the pump I use.

http://www.whalepumps.com/rv/product-application-items.aspx?Category_ID=10011&FriendlyID=Superfil

Peter, why is it relevant to mention an electronic pump/feed in order to obtain water from a cemetery or similar? Surely, a watering can or other container with a funnel/feed will do the job?

I just don't see the necessity for carrying an external water storage device when there is a perfectly good one onboard?

I can see the issue for those in caravans which dont have onboard tanks but to carry a massive water carrier seems over the top.

Have agree with Chris you really don't need to lug all that junk around. Emptied out the old shed that's falling down last week found an Aquaroll & Wastemaster from out tugging days thought we might need them with the Motorhome, well they have been in the shed for over 5 years. (lol)

May it's something to with the Motorhome having wheels and a motor & I can drive to the filling point. :D

lennyhb - 2013-12-13 3:11 PM

Have agree with Chris you really don't need to lug all that junk around. Emptied out the old shed that's falling down last week found an Aquaroll & Wastemaster from out tugging days thought we might need them with the Motorhome, well they have been in the shed for over 5 years. (lol)

May it's something to with the Motorhome having wheels and a motor & I can drive to the filling point. :D

We wild camp and often water in far away places is not available from alongside the van

The ability to fill a 10lt can and pour or i prefer to pump that into the van is great help.

On Aires when leaving a pitch means losing the pitch is another location when i use this.

Yes you can pour it in but I like the pump.

Never use it as a supply just as a top up system.

each to their own.

bolero boy - 2013-12-13 2:37 PM

Peter, why is it relevant to mention an electronic pump/feed in order to obtain water from a cemetery or similar? Surely, a watering can or other container with a funnel/feed will do the job?

I just don't see the necessity for carrying an external water storage device when there is a perfectly good one onboard?

I can see the issue for those in caravans which dont have onboard tanks but to carry a massive water carrier seems over the top.

You don't seem to get it do you, other people, some times, do things differantly to you. (and me !)

I tried the 'Watering can' trick, I don't like carrying water, it is VERY heavy, so a 23 litre water carrier, not 'massive' , but on wheels, and not much bigger than a watering can. Does the trick very well, and a water source, that might not be accessable by Vehicle (cemetery tap) is perfectly accessable by foot and water carrier. Then pumped up into the inboard tank. We survived on the Hebrides very well like that, getting water where we could.

Just a differant way of doing things is all. Ray

I admit that I wouldn't use an Aquaroll or a Wastemaster though, far too unwieldy and the wrong 'Shape' to use in a motorhome.

Rayjsj - 2013-12-13 5:00 PM

bolero boy - 2013-12-13 2:37 PM

You don't seem to get it do you, other people, some times, do things differantly to you. (and me !)

I tried the 'Watering can' trick, I don't like carrying water, it is VERY heavy, so a 23 litre water carrier, not 'massive' , but on wheels, and not much bigger than a watering can. Does the trick very well, and a water source, that might not be accessable by Vehicle (cemetery tap) is perfectly accessable by foot and water carrier. Then pumped up into the inboard tank. We survived on the Hebrides very well like that, getting water where we could.

Just a differant way of doing things is all. Ray

I admit that I wouldn't use an Aquaroll or a Wastemaster though, far too unwieldy and the wrong 'Shape' to use in a motorhome.

Sorry, Ray. Didnt meant to tread on your corns.

Yes, we are all different, just trying to help make life a little less complex with a bit less 'stuff'.

Im sure a seperate water carrier and pump works well and, as you say, each to their own.

Archived