Cruise control retro fitted

candapack

HymerVan - 2013-12-12 5:09 PM

Yes and Yes

Done by Dave Newell on my previous Van a Mark 6 (2006) Ford Transit). Good efficient service and reasonable price and cruise control itself was very reliable. It had three pre-set speeds especially useful in Europe.

Thanks for that. Who is Dave Newell and how do I contact him?

I purchased kit from http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/wizard/cruise-control and fitted myself which I found easy to do. It makes driving easier.

Edit. Unless you work at it you will notice no difference in fuel consumption. As an example, when travelling up a hill under normal driving I would accept slowing down to get over the top whereas cruise control puts the foot down trying to maintain speed so would use more fuel. It is very easy to disengage/re-engage.

Mel B - 2013-12-12 6:12 PM

We too had it fitted to a Mk 6 Transit by Dave Newell and it was great! Dave is a member of this forum and others, he also writes for motorhome magazines (have you heard of Diamond Dave?):

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

I'll drop you a PM with info on how to get a 5% discount! :-D

Come on Mel, don't go giving away all my profits :D :D .

D.

Hi,

We had Cruise control retro-fitted on our 2001 VW T4 Gatcombe a couple of years back. Well worth doing,only wish we had the Limiter version fitted, still when we enter the French villages without their speed signs, only the village name sign( this in France indicates a 50 KPH limit unless otherwise stated) we click on the cruise control at just under 50 if it's quite.

Go for it.

Regards

George

I see your North of Dumfries, you don't say what base Vehicle you have,  I had the Mercedes Sprinter , I had a Cruise control fitted by the main Mercedes Agent Cicely's Commercials in Dumfries , and it was Cheaper than Conrad Andersons and most others around the Area, Dave Newell will be quite a long drive from where you are even though you will get a good job done. Border Cars are a Fiat agent down this neck of the woods, check with your Main agent for your Base vehicle, worth a shot and Cruise is a great tool  makes for a more relaxed drive on long Hauls. go for it you wont be sorry.

Thanks to all for responses so far.

Mentioned to OH that some people fit it themselves, initially greeted with hysterical laughter followed by serious face and "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!".

She knows my limitations pretty well :D

I think this is something we will get done, other calls on funds at present however - notably Christmas and daughter at Uni with boyfriend in Italy *-)

We also had CC fitted to our last van by Dave N and very satisfied with it, there are a couple of camp sites nearby that you can stay at take the van in, have a walk for an hour so, we enjoyed the short break and he is very reasonable and you know if any problems he is easily contacted , we had no problems and O.H was glad of it on long motorway journeys.

Not trying to cost anyone their profits but, as Corky says, check with the base vehicle main dealer as increasingly cruise control is already in the chassis' ECU and simply needs a control added and the function activated through the vehicle diagonics. This was the case on my mate's Iveco and cost him the grand total of £39 plus a favour he was owed! I know Sprinters since 2001 are like this as well but not sure about Transit or Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen vans.

HTH,

Thanks for info but unfortunately I have no knowledge of this vehicle. The biggest problem I had was taking apart all the trims etc at steering wheel. It was made very easy by following an actual installation with pics from Conrad Anderson. In addition I made an incorrect connection and technical support instantly directed me in the right direction.

Having said all this I can understand your trepidation and it may well be a good idea to get it done professionally, have you tried Knowepark at Livingston?

sshortcircuit - 2013-12-12 9:30 PM

Thanks for info but unfortunately I have no knowledge of this vehicle. The biggest problem I had was taking apart all the trims etc at steering wheel. It was made very easy by following an actual installation with pics from Conrad Anderson. In addition I made an incorrect connection and technical support instantly directed me in the right direction.

Having said all this I can understand your trepidation and it may well be a good idea to get it done professionally, have you tried Knowepark at Livingston?

Thanks again. I haven't tried anyone yet - actually, van is at my local motor engineer for a new alternator (under warranty thankfully), think I'll ask him when I pick it up.

Cheers!

Dave Newell - 2013-12-12 6:32 PM

Mel B - 2013-12-12 6:12 PM

We too had it fitted to a Mk 6 Transit by Dave Newell and it was great! Dave is a member of this forum and others, he also writes for motorhome magazines (have you heard of Diamond Dave?):

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

I'll drop you a PM with info on how to get a 5% discount! :-D

Come on Mel, don't go giving away all my profits :D :D .

D.

Ah yes, but how much would you have to pay for the 'advertising' that your happy customers do on your behalf by recommending you ... it must be priceless (I'll send my invoice in shortly! (lol) ).

candapack - 2013-12-12 5:00 PM

Has anyone had this done?

If so, do you think it was worthwhile?

I think it depends on the type of journey you do, if mainly non motorway driving, I dont think it is a good idea as you need to use the brakes too much (which turns it off) but if you do a lot of Motorway or even good roads in Europe then go for it, it is great on a long journey.

fairweather camper - 2013-12-15 1:29 PM
candapack - 2013-12-12 5:00 PMHas anyone had this done? If so, do you think it was worthwhile?
I think it depends on the type of journey you do, if mainly non motorway driving, I dont think it is a good idea as you need to use the brakes too much (which turns it off) but if you do a lot of Motorway or even good roads in Europe then go for it, it is great on a long journey.

I have to disagree with this one.  We have CC on out Transit based MH and use it regularly on all roads but obviously not in town.  It's great on open roads for making the drive more relaxing.  They are easy to set and the added bonus is you can then enjoy the drive instead having to constantly scan the road/speedo/adjust throttle etc etc.  Simply set it to the appropriate legal speed limit and enjoy the drive without being concerned about exceeding the speed limit and 'maybe' getting 'zapped'.

Archived