Safari/ Privacy/Awning advice please

Roy M

Guest 1footinthegrave

The only vendetta is pointing out what you clearly suggested which was

I would suggest that if your pattern of use emulates that of a trailer caravan, with generally extended stays in one place, from which you travel around, it may be that a trailer caravan, with a traditional caravan awning, might be more suited to your needs.

If that's not suggesting flogging his van I don't know what is, just accept you cocked up, instead of pretending that's not what you meant.

Vango Air Away Kela. Light, strong, comfortable (Sewn in groundsheet.) quick to erect, 10 minutes unless in Spain where ground is harder than A level maths. Used ours every night since we got it in May, even one night stops, its just so nice. Colin.

Guest JudgeMental
ColinB - 2013-12-14 1:34 PM

Vango Air Away Kela. Light, strong, comfortable (Sewn in groundsheet.) quick to erect, 10 minutes unless in Spain where ground is harder than A level maths. Used ours every night since we got it in May, even one night stops, its just so nice. Colin.

How does it stand up to spanish winter winds please?

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-12-13 9:53 PM

More and more I sometimes think I'm in the movie One Flew over the Cuckoos nest on this forum. BK reminds me of the bloke Dale Harding who goes on and on and on in it, when one character in sheer frustration says "GET TO THE POINT " and I'm Randle McMurphy, and we all know what happened to him.

:D

Shouldn't you be out on the hills bothering sheep you cretin, instead of constantly bullying Brian Kirby, who happens to be of the nicest guys on here...while you're are a complete arse!

There are a lot of long stayers on our site, only one of whom uses a safari room. It is very sturdy, takes him about a day to put up and he needs a pair of step ladders to do it. When we were considering it, we watched a video on YouTube and decided that life was too short. He has a car as well, so he doesn't need to move the van, but even though we also have a car, we still like to give the van a run out every now and then, so we know when it comes times to go home, it should all still be in good working order.

To answer a previous point, the reason some of us are pointing out the pros and cons and alternatives is to save Roy from possibly making an expensive mistake. He can, of course, make up his own mind.

Our freestanding driveaway awning stands up to Spanish winter winds very well, by the way, and being separate from the van doesn't keep us awake.

Guest JudgeMental
Rowan Lee - 2013-12-14 3:25 PM

Our freestanding driveaway awning stands up to Spanish winter winds very well, by the way, and being separate from the van doesn't keep us awake.

What make is it please Rowan.....

So far the Kela has stood the Spanish winds very well. We did break a guy line whilst at Blanes in November but no damage to the structure. A very strong gust will cause it to " duck down" then spring back, Better in my view than a broken pole or a tear. Colin.

Judge, ours is a Riviera Mobil from Riversway Leisure, but I don't think they do them any more. They have the Movelite range now, which are very similar. Our prevailing wind is from the north, but sometimes we have a southerly, so we can then keep the front down and open up the back.

I agree, the safari room is heavy and bulky and quite difficult to erect, when looking round I see very few vans with them.

I have one similar to this http://www.kampa.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Motor-Rally-260L.jpg and when this dies I will seriously consider the blow up drive away types, purely for easy and as someone has already said it is separate from the van, just in case you have to move the van. The only disadvantage with these is the sewn in ground sheet, some sites might object to this.

Archived