Leaving our Motorhome in Spain

Woodstock Traveler

Hi Brian,

And the rest of the guys that have offered info. Yes I can see that you all need a little more info, so here goes. My MH resides in a garage just outside St. Malo. It is a Dethleffs Globe 4 and purchased new this May. ( This is our second MH and been traveling for the last 3 years ) It has a French Reg. and is insured in France. I can understand Brian that maybe it is not a good idea to leave it outside in Spain during the Summer months. But what about the Winter i.e. from Nov. to March. And we seem to have gone off at a bit of a tangent. Yes I would be pleased to receive info about secure places to leave the MH for a few months, and save me driving all the way back to the garage in St. Malo each time. But the rest of my request is about leaving the Solar panel turned on as it will charge up both the leisure batteries and the engine battery, and just turn off the 12v control panel leaving the Transformer/rectifier on.

Thanks Geoff

Woodstock Traveler - 2013-12-16 1:39 PM

Hi Brian,

And the rest of the guys that have offered info. Yes I can see that you all need a little more info, so here goes. My MH resides in a garage just outside St. Malo. It is a Dethleffs Globe 4 and purchased new this May. ( This is our second MH and been traveling for the last 3 years ) It has a French Reg. and is insured in France. I can understand Brian that maybe it is not a good idea to leave it outside in Spain during the Summer months. But what about the Winter i.e. from Nov. to March. And we seem to have gone off at a bit of a tangent. Yes I would be pleased to receive info about secure places to leave the MH for a few months, and save me driving all the way back to the garage in St. Malo each time. But the rest of my request is about leaving the Solar panel turned on as it will charge up both the leisure batteries and the engine battery, and just turn off the 12v control panel leaving the Transformer/rectifier on.

Thanks Geoff

My main reservation about storage in winter, in Spain, is the occasional severe hail storms that can strike. Don't know if these are limited as to where they occur, or if they can strike pretty much anywhere. However, they can, and do, cause severe damage, smashing rooflights, and severely pitting roof and bonnet panels. I have seen the damage. Not what you want to hear, I suspect! :-) Others may be able to advise from personal experience, I have none, so can't advise on frequency.

I think if it were me, I'd be inclined to make the drive, and just use different routes and stopping places to add variety. Tucked up in its garage sounds the safest place to keep it when in storage!

Can't add anything on where to store, or on the solar panels bit, as I know nothing on either, sorry.

Brian Kirby - 2013-12-16 4:56 PM

My main reservation about storage in winter, in Spain, is the occasional severe hail storms that can strike. Don't know if these are limited as to where they occur, or if they can strike pretty much anywhere. However, they can, and do, cause severe damage, smashing rooflights, and severely pitting roof and bonnet panels. I have seen the damage. Not what you want to hear, I suspect! :-) Others may be able to advise from personal experience, I have none, so can't advise on frequency.

I think if it were me, I'd be inclined to make the drive, and just use different routes and stopping places to add variety. Tucked up in its garage sounds the safest place to keep it when in storage!

Those hail stones seem to strike at any time, some years ago we had a caravan roof damaged by giant hail stones in mid August we were on the coast about 50miles south of Barcelona at Sitges average day time temperatures was in the 30's.

Perhaps to bring a bit perspective, there are 1000s of caravans, motorhomes etc that remain static in Spain. If these hail stones were a problem then I think they would have been moved. Its everybody to their own but I consider a 3700 round trip not a sensible solution when it can easily be stored and cheap flights available. Perhaps I consider my MH as just a means to an end and not something that needs mollycoddled :-D

One could sound a bit 'triumphant' and state that with a caravan you can get undercover storage easily in Spain, but they will not take high motorhomes.

More seriously what about fitting a cover over the vehicle? It will reduce the effect of any storms and would allow you to not have to keep blinds etc lowered. Again, this is all related to where you wish to park the thing. I store my caravan and ca on a site so can cover at will but as i am looking at high summer, it is more a sunshine and heat issue I am facing.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. As I am now in UK will just need to sit it out and hope all ok, however if all goes well will leave it again next year so could take something with me to cover. I did find one storage park who could take undercover but was not keen as I think he was making more out of storing two cars in the space a MH would take

• 2 months later...

Just an update. Collected motorhome from parking at Alicante airport. The good news is the roof has not been bombarded with hailstones so I do not have a collander to repair. As far as insect/rodent ingress absolutely none. First turn of the key started the engine so my solar panel and the Ctek D250S has done there job keeping the batteries charged

Have managed to squeeze into a die at Santa Pola and have also managed to get on a CCC rally at Last Manga as it is very busy.

Will have no hesitation in repeating the again.

Off for a few cervesa now as with the sun and heat I am dehydrating

Just an update. Collected motorhome from parking at Alicante airport. The good news is the roof has not been bombarded with hailstones so I do not have a collander to repair. As far as insect/rodent ingress absolutely none. First turn of the key started the engine so my solar panel and the Ctek D250S has done there job keeping the batteries charged

Have managed to squeeze into a die at Santa Pola and have also managed to get on a CCC rally at Last Manga as it is very busy.

Will have no hesitation in repeating the again.

Off for a few cervesa now as with the sun and heat I am dehydrating

I personally would not store a motorhome at all anywhere , storage ruins tyres wipers battery door seals ect the cost of getting the van fit again could be more than the travel Best to buy a cheep caravan to leave behind caravans are better sited motorhome only maintain there true value and looks if they are used and loved on a weekly basis

linfield - 2014-02-25 9:14 PM

I personally would not store a motorhome at all anywhere , storage ruins tyres wipers battery door seals ect the cost of getting the van fit again could be more than the travel Best to buy a cheep caravan to leave behind caravans are better sited motorhome only maintain there true value and looks if they are used and loved on a weekly basis

Wonderful, the solution to all maintenance, just store it at home. :-S

I would still need a tow vehicle which do I also store or has it to be driven back and forward. Everybody has a choice but I found storage the simplest solution

I don't think many people will agree with that. We can't all drive around in large vehicles, which are difficult to park. That does not mean we don't "love" our vans, but they are just a means to enjoy a certain style of travel!

PJay

PJay - 2014-02-26 9:09 AM

JudgeMental - 2014-02-25 6:19 PM

we will be in benidorm in April as well, maybe we can meet up this time......

Also coming over in April, Not sure where we will stay yet.

Where you all staying. La Torreta??

PJay

A meet at one of the locals will be OK. Have not booked but hope to get into La Torreta middle of March all being well. Artherate is booked in and Judge normally stays just up the road at Arena Blanca so will wait and see. There may be others??????

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2014-02-26 9:05 AM

I don't think many people will agree with that. We can't all drive around in large vehicles, which are difficult to park. That does not mean we don't "love" our vans, but they are just a means to enjoy a certain style of travel!

PJay

Linfield has a point PJ............most campers lead a pampered life..........indeed this is part of their problem :-S...............

As they say "use it or lose it"...........is so apposite in so many situations :-|................

sshortcircuit - 2014-02-26 7:52 PM

PJay

A meet at one of the locals will be OK. Have not booked but hope to get into La Torreta middle of March all being well. Artherate is booked in and Judge normally stays just up the road at Arena Blanca so will wait and see. There may be others??????

Are we up for a session then Hamish, remember never again.

John.

Guest JudgeMental
artheytrate - 2014-02-26 9:07 PM

sshortcircuit - 2014-02-26 7:52 PM

PJay

Are we up for a session then Hamish, remember never again.

John.

Sounds like a plan..the first official mmm meet, have meet a few individuals from on here who we now consider friends, but a proper meet like other forums seem to manage would be fun :-D

Archived