camper vans & IOW ferry

duetto owner

if using the wrightlink ferry between portsmouth and fishbourne be preparred to move to the southampton crossing.

wrightlink used to charge campervans under 6m car prices this changed last week to only 5m so any camper vans between 5m and 6m will be hit with commercial rates almost 300% rise.

the other company red funnel between east cowes and southampton have not changed their fares.

pity the govt is broke and cannot afford to build a bridge.

Guest Peter James
duetto owner - 2013-12-14 9:41 AM

They would rather maintain the highest military spending in Europe to defend tax havens like Gibraltar, or send our lads to places like Iraq and make a bad situation worse.

duetto owner - 2013-12-14 9:41 AM

if using the wrightlink ferry between portsmouth and fishbourne be preparred to move to the southampton crossing.

wrightlink used to charge campervans under 6m car prices this changed last week to only 5m so any camper vans between 5m and 6m will be hit with commercial rates almost 300% rise.

the other company red funnel between east cowes and southampton have not changed their fares.

Don't think the islanders want to be connected. It would have to be a tunnel , as can you imagine how high a bridge would have to be, to allow the giant cruise liners to get under it

The crossing to IOW has always been very expensive, for the length of crossing. The islanders do get a discount on there crossing yo mainland. The Solent can be very rough sometimes, that's why it's good sailing down here.

PJay

Peter James - 2013-12-14 10:55 AM
duetto owner - 2013-12-14 9:41 AMpity the govt is broke and cannot afford to build a bridge.
They would rather maintain the highest military spending in Europe to defend tax havens like Gibraltar, or send our lads to places like Iraq and make a bad situation worse.

My goodness......do you have shares in a 'soap box' company?  You must wear them out extremely quickly because you never seem to be off yours.   Try giving it a rest sometime you might find you like it.

We've got seven days booked on the CC site over there. Just looked up,the cost of getting over there and it's more than the cost of the site. Yet oddly enough they do some very cost effective 5 day packages including site fees. CC tell me they will be offering discounted crossings after the new year so I'll leave the booking as it is at the moment and see how things go. I may decide to cancel the CC 7 day booking and book a 5 day package with the ferry company or even book an alternative CC site on the mainland.

Will85 - 2013-12-15 10:33 AM

You can of course if you have a Classic Car and are a member of that group, travel for free in September when they attend one of their rallies in Newport and Ryde Sea Front. Not sure about 2014 however.

Can't say I'd fancy living on a campsite in a classic car for very long.

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Will85 - 2013-12-15 11:13 AM

Carry a tent like many do

Loved our frame tent.................in the 1970s, that was when I was in my prime..........happy days. :D now I need a memory foam mattress and central heating to keep the aches and pains at bay. :-(

IOW Ferry companies have just announced their change of policy on fares and all loose out, they are stopping Islanders discount too. We live in sight of the Island and as stated it is one of the Worlds most expensive crssings. A bridge could easily be built,the narrowest point is from Hurst Castle on the main land near Milford on Sea,a bridge could easily be built high enough here,and if not most ships pass South of the Island and Don,t come through the narrows.Avery strong tide race at this point. There is too much money tied up in the ferry companies for us to get a bridge built methinks and it is not going to happen any time soon.

Guest 1footinthegrave
We have friends who moved to the island 5 years ago, seduced mainly by cheaper property prices than the mainland, boy has that turned out to be a big mistake, now past the first flush of youth, and numerous health issues cropping up, see's them going over on the Ferries on a regular basis. An accident saw my mates missus having to travel Salisbury hospital on a regular basis, and even for basic after care, they are regretting their move big time now, so they will be less than pleased to hear of these plans. :-( another intended or unintended issue is friends they have had for years bulk at the additional expense to visit, and certainly us with our 7 metre van

Guest Peter James
RogerC - 2013-12-14 3:47 PM
Peter James - 2013-12-14 10:55 AM
duetto owner - 2013-12-14 9:41 AMpity the govt is broke and cannot afford to build a bridge.

My goodness......do you have shares in a 'soap box' company?  You must wear them out extremely quickly because you never seem to be off yours.   Try giving it a rest sometime you might find you like it.

Like it or not, Issues like this are inseparable from politics.They insist on everything being privatised. The last bridge they built to an Island was the Isle of Skye and when they tried to charge us a toll for it we saw them off :D

Archived