New conservatory pictures

Mel B

Following on from my 'spending bug' thread:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/-got-the-spending-bug-now-some-advice-needed/32799/61/#M401527

This is my new conservatory for those who have asked to see piccies! :-D

You can see from the ones taken of the pond just how near it is to it! 8-) The pond needs topping up by about 10 inches so would normally be much higher and therefore closer to the edge of the conservatory.

a.JPG.01e8821ee19bc5be0b557389a632d6d7.JPG

b.JPG.5b5e565b60df4689a816d51158599b5f.JPG

c.JPG.03bdb0dd0a02b202675c6826b6604f9e.JPG

d.JPG.a0d7599b0b0ec689f4692e5f0aee82bf.JPG

e.JPG.ba481ae9e494f8844ccafc8a8f64406f.JPG

f.JPG.ac40594ec6c1b5423ef4e50718283061.JPG

g.JPG.54ce6415dc0d58628fdbc87d0eb17193.JPG

h.JPG.85f1cd2d4ef5f2b51064e4da98676db9.JPG

i.JPG.71f7117e10a2b0228e11c1c3f9b912cb.JPG

j.JPG.6cab1a87a3e1031bcab0086d6c8a3ee6.JPG

k.JPG.3ab3325a511bf8298b34095ac7e3c72e.JPG

l.JPG.4841af409cbcebba8411505f464cd86b.JPG

401295321_pondfrominside.JPG.0c48d63624f76247dcd234ba479d1291.JPG

Guest pelmetman

Reminds me of that Spanish bloke ;-)................Enrique Inglasias :D,,,,,,,,,

Just needs a striking set of pouffes in the middle Mel ;-)...............Looks like you've room for a foursome at least B-)

bob b - 2013-12-14 9:30 PM

Very smart Mel. What's that vent on the wall next to the lighting unit?

That's an extractor fan inlet vent, it's the type you usually put in a bathroom to draw the moisture etc out of the room. The hole was already there as that was the original location of the kitchen extractor hood ducting outlet vent (now moved to a new location above the conservatory). Rather than block up the hole I thought we might as well make good use of it (especially since the conservatory could get very hot in summer despite the 'special' roof glazing) so as the hot air will gather in the apex of the roof we can turn on the extractor fan to draw it out of the conservatory and into the attic (we may attach it to the existing kitchen extractor fan ducting if it gets too hot up there!).

The round light is a nice fluorescent hubby picked up at a car boot sale for £1 (new & boxed!) which I think looks nice in there - I've ordered a pull switch for it so we can turn it on/off from within the conservatory itself regardless of whichever doorway we go into it from - I didn't want to have to chisel out the lovely old bricks and make a right mess of the wall to put a wall switch in, or have to do a 'double' switch (ie one in the kitchen and one in the lounge), so the pull switch is the best option; the extractor fan is connected to an existing wall switch in the lounge (behind the curtains) which used to work an external light.

The 'nets' on the windows are some nice voile door curtains that I picked up from Boyes for £5.99 each, they aren't 'sheer', or like normal net curtains, but are a mock linen effect 'weave' pattern with embroidered flower images on in brown and black so match the furniture very well. I needed 8 (4 on each side, 2 sets together on each end) plus the poles and hooks but I think they look nice and will work in a similar way to the 'sunblocker' type awning screens for motorhomes - they'll cut out some of the light but not all of it which is important seeing as our only lounge 'window' is the patio doors! The hardest part has been keeping the blooming pole hooks up as they just drop off (the adhesive is naff), so I've used the original angled hooks that came with them which I've had to drill holes for (which I didn't really want to but needs must ...) and screwed them in and they haven't dropped off since!

Oh, Lily has decided she DOESN'T LIKE the conservatory now ... she thinks there another dog living in there ... in the roof!!!! (lol)

vent.jpg.9ae608bc7a70c9fd71a8fedf387d3180.jpg

That looks lovely Mel.......and the glass roof was certainly (IMO) worth the extra £'s spent.  I'm sure you'll be making very good use of it. 

A couple of things I like doing in ours is sitting, with G&T in hand, and watching the rain pour down or at night leave the lights off and do a bit of star gazing......both are so relaxing.

Yes the glass roof was DEFINITELY worth the extra cost - thanks to all who help me 'decide' about that!

It rained yesterday and it was so quiet, just a nice 'tinkle' sound, so I can well understand how nice it is to sit in there when it's raining ... but with a cup of tea in my case! :D

Lily still doesn't like the 'overhead dog' though ... but I suppose if we don't put the lights on in there she won't see it! (lol)

It looks lovely Mel :-D and yes the roof does look a lot better than the blue polycarbonate, I might just talk O.H into changing ours sometime when flush ;-) .

I must say you have soon got it straight and looking comfortable, I notice you have a t.v in situ ! no need for that when you have your garden to watch, I like to read in ours and listen to the birds, I like the fact that you can sit and watch the fish while inside, the only problem you are going to have is cleaning the non cleaning glass ;-) you will have to look out for some waders at the car boot sale. (lol)

maggyd - 2013-12-15 5:05 PM

It looks lovely Mel :-D and yes the roof does look a lot better than the blue polycarbonate, I might just talk O.H into changing ours sometime when flush ;-) .

I must say you have soon got it straight and looking comfortable, I notice you have a t.v in situ ! no need for that when you have your garden to watch, I like to read in ours and listen to the birds, I like the fact that you can sit and watch the fish while inside, the only problem you are going to have is cleaning the non cleaning glass ;-) you will have to look out for some waders at the car boot sale. (lol)

Ah, yes, the TV, we've put one in so that when I'm doing my ironing etc I can watch one of my pre-recorded films or American TV dramas (the TV has a USB input), or listen to Radio 2 as we can't pick it up on a standard radio here. *-)

As for cleaning the glass near the pond, fortunately we can reach from both ends and have the long brush which hubby used to use for the motorhome too .... failing that I'll make him walk the plank!!!! :D

That looks really nice Mel. I bet you can't wait for spring.

I wouldn't vent it into the loft though, as there could well be a lot of moisture in that warm air in the conservatory which could condense onto the roof timbers and cause problems. Just a thought.

Pampam - 2013-12-15 7:07 PM

Looks lovely are you putting a christmas tree in there it would look very traditional up against the brick with lights etc :pp. wish I'd had a glass roof

There's one in there already ... a fibre optic one, unfortunately it wasn't turned on when I took the picture so I'll have to take another one! :-D I've got my external Christmas lights down out of the attic so will be putting them up in there around the frame sill between the roof and the sides where there's a bit on a lip to hang some 'S' hooks onto. :-D It should look very pretty! :D

I'm also toying with the idea of getting some led lights on strips to run around the sill permanently which will then shine onto the roof glass ... possibly the type that change colour with a remote control ... :D

peter - 2013-12-15 6:46 PM

That looks really nice Mel. I bet you can't wait for spring.

I wouldn't vent it into the loft though, as there could well be a lot of moisture in that warm air in the conservatory which could condense onto the roof timbers and cause problems. Just a thought.

I agree Peter, I wasn't keen on having it vented into the attic either so hubby is going to join the pipe to the kitchen extractor piping so both the air from that and the conservatory will go out through the new external vent to solve the problem. As the conservatory vent pipe will be going to meet the kitchen piping we shouldn't get any coming back in and cooking us in the kitchen! :-D

pelmetman - 2013-12-16 7:56 PM

Is it warm enough to use at night Mel?.............if so how are you heating it? ;-)

We've got an oil-free heater and a convector heater, we haven't used them yet but will see which is the best when we do. We've still got some draughts to sort out which we'll be doing this week, although we haven't found it particularly cold so far during the 'dull and cold' daytime, so once we've sorted them we should be able to have a nice cosy Christmas dinner in there! :D

Just wanted to say thanks for all the positive comments about the conservatory, I certainly think it has enhanced our property and will definitely make it more enjoyable for us. Once I get the small patio in front of it done and the garden sorted too it will look really really lovely. :-D

Archived