Previous Owners.

Corky 8

Guest Had Enough
Brian Kirby - 2013-12-16 6:51 PM

Had Enough - 2013-12-16 1:02 PM

Some of the attitudes shown on here leave me feeling very depressed about the honesty and moral stance of many people today................

This is unlike you, Frank. You are usually the epitome of optimism. Here we have poster after poster saying they would gladly provide information on faults they know about at the point of sale, and would be happy to provide further information if asked post sale, and it makes you depressed. Winter blues already? I thought I was supposed to be the pessimist, and I was feeling quite uplifted by what most had said. How strange is this world. :-)

Yes, some have said that they would provide all the information, warts and all, but only to a private individual, but if selling to a dealer they think it acceptable to keep quiet about what may be quite serious faults that could be very hard to spot.

I find it depressing that there are those who seek to justify what is clearly dishonest behaviour by saying that dealers are 'professionals' and that it's acceptable to apply different moral standards when selling to them.

If you're honest, you deal honestly with everyone. Perhaps I'm old fashioned?

Guest 1footinthegrave

Wouldn't it be nice to be treated by others, as you would wish to be treated yourself, sadly that is very often not the case is it so.......my take on the post

I'm not sure what it would tell you contacting previous owners, I have a situation right now where clearly someone has had a good go with the Truma boiler,missing panel screws, etc, and it's proving a real pain in the butt, but would they own up, and even if they did what use would that serve.

There is for sure given the predominant age group this sector attracts, the more likely possibility of bereavement of a previous owner, just this year a bloke in our village dropped down dead just after returning from his spring trip, aged 56, she sold the van directly to a dealer, so I very much doubt she's be impressed receiving such communications.

Another point, Isn't one of the reasons some PX is to eliminate the private sale thing, and all that can go with it. So on balance I would say, do all your investigations on the day, look at all the paper work ( if any ) make your judgement on that, and accept as I have had to do what may have happened in the past, is exactly that, the past, and has nothing at all to do with the future.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2013-12-16 11:53 PM

Eh? :-S.....................Is this the same bloke who hid his real persona when he rejoined this forum?........... ;-)

If I'm honest..............honesty seems to have a sliding scale for most of us :D

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2013-12-17 9:01 AM

Eh? :-S.....................Is this the same bloke who hid his real persona when he rejoined this forum?........... ;-)

If I'm honest..............honesty seems to have a sliding scale for most of us :D

Wanting anonymity on a public forum isn't dishonest and disadvantages no one, whereas failing to inform a dealer that the motorhome you're selling has a hidden, and possibly expensive fault, is dishonest and does disadvantage someone.

I'm sorry that you're personalising this issue and will discuss this particular subject with you no further. This isn't Chatterbox.

Hi All,

I f we are talking about honesty and integrity between and to everybody in the chain of buying and selling vans, I wonder what a dealers response would be to giving out names and contacts of previous owners [ after seeking permission ] of course.

It appears that those on here have only contacted previous owners AFTER they have laid out the money to buy. Seems late to get a horror story about your new van. Has anybody asked a dealer for this info. if so what was the response. I haven't as up to now I have only bought new.

cheers

derek

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2013-12-17 9:39 AM

pelmetman - 2013-12-17 9:01 AM

Wanting anonymity on a public forum isn't dishonest and disadvantages no one, whereas failing to inform a dealer that the motorhome you're selling has a hidden, and possibly expensive fault, is dishonest and does disadvantage someone.

I'm sorry that you're personalising this issue and will discuss this particular subject with you no further. This isn't Chatterbox.

Anonymity for what reason Frank?................To slag people off with impunity from behind the keyboard?.......................Or to protect your employee's and associates as you stated on several occasions? *-)....................

Seems to be a fine line between between honesty and hypocrisy for some..............If I'm honest :D......

PS ......Just an observation Frank.......nothing personal ;-)

derek pringle - 2013-12-17 10:12 AM

Seems late to get a horror story about your new van. Has anybody asked a dealer for this info. if so what was the response. I haven't as up to now I have only bought new.

cheers

derek

This also applies to brand new van. Dealers are reluctant to tell you how long the vehicle has been in their showroom. Has it been driven on trade plates to any shows etc.?

I had a test drive of our van prior to purchase, easily covering 30 miles. When I collected the vehicle after purchase the mile odometer read something like 4 miles. This is the distance back from the main Fiat Dealer who did the pre-delivery inspection and reset the mileage on the day the vehicle was first registered.

This is usual practice but will the dealers divulge the details? And give an honest answer?

I did manage to find out the vehicle was completed by Swift in March and I purchased in June of the same year. I can only believe the dealer when he says it was in their showroom during that period.

Perhaps you could argue that it would be better if the vehicle had been driven in that period and not sat idle

Guest 1footinthegrave
Perhaps I've been to the wrong dealers, but for all the product knowledge they seem to display they could just as easily be selling empty shoe boxes. Once on commenting to a salesman at a very major dealership my misgivings about a vehicle only having one 75 amp leisure battery, his comment was, start the engine and run it for about 10 minutes and it will be charged up again. :-S

Anybody can locate a previous owner by asking to see the V5 that the dealer should have in his possession and that's before you decide to buy it. Or with the reg' number you can probably check on the DVLA site.

Archived