starting problems Fiat 150bhp

bobhodgkinson

Hi can anybody out there help,at my wits end .Purhased a new Bessacarr with the new 150 bhp this year.

Have used it only twice .Had to call out camper assist which is the RAC whom Fiat nominate.Several times it wont start ,turns over fine.Stuck in Oban 4 days 3 mechanics could,nt find the problem.Taken on a low lowder to Glasgow just about to take it off the low loader and they started it no problem.Gets home,a week later tries again won,t start. RAC out again puts on Diagnostic check no fault,reckons its a fuse.Cleans it vehicle starts.Takes van to ludlow for a different issue last week they call me saying the,ve same problem.They put an auto electrician onto it can,t find a problem mucks about with it for a few hours starts no problem .Electrician did say at one time no power to fuel pump but eventualy starts but no fault

found.Panicked on way home had to fill up wondering if it would start,luckily it did.It would be sods law if I took it to a Fiat dealership and it runs no fault found.Anybody any ideas would sooner cure the fault myself if I could even though its under warranty.I,m just wondering if it is a relay or is there a common fault with

this Fiat model.If it is a relay where would it be?

I am not aware of any inherent problems with this engine which is electrically the same as the previous 120 and 130hp units.

I would guess that it will be a faulty crankshaft sensor but to find out you really do need to get it plugged into a Fiat diagnostic unit. If it has failed to start there will be a recorded fault stored that other diagnostic units will probably not see because the only info that manufacturers HAVE to allow access to is that which relates to emissions. If it is not an injection problem it will remain invisible except to the dealer tool.

Whatever it is it should be covered under warranty. It will probably have to be left at the dealers so that they can witness the non start and test it afterwards.

Nick

Is there a low pressure fuel pump as well as the common rail pump on Ducatos?

We had a car that suddenly refused to start. Engine turned over fine, but was otherwise as dead as a dodo. The fault turned out to be a failed low pressure pump in the diesel tank. Once the pump was replaced, it ran perfectly. So, loose low pressure pump connector making intermittent contact?

• 3 weeks later...
Fiat have fitted low pressure 'lift' pumps combined with the fuel tank sender unit in all Ducato's since the 2.8JTD was introduced for 1999 MY. They still do and it is much more durable than other designs and far more effective than the Ford idea of relying on the high pressure pump to pull the fuel all the way from the tank. The Ford's are a nightmare to 'prime' after changing a fuel filter while the Fiat's can purge any air themselves with no problems at all.

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2013-12-16 4:31 PM

Is there a low pressure fuel pump as well as the common rail pump on Ducatos?

Yes there is (on top of the fuel tank which you access through an inspection cover in the floor, like the battery cover), but the engine will still run without it as I discovered when I isolated it with a secret switch as an anti theft measure - obviously ineffective. But that was in the summer when the diesel was thin. It might not run without it now its colder and the diesel is thick.

Mike88 - 2014-01-02 3:04 PM

Let's hope the original poster provides a follow up post explaining how the issue was resolved.

Mike, this is a very relevant posting. OPs rarely return to confirm or deny the advice given.

I am about to raise a new thread in this issue.

Probably some thing mundane as a wire connector that has a crimped connector that has only just made it through the plastic insulation.

And you can guess how may connectors there are !! (No prizes)

Had one of those on my previous Fiat, Was not until a showdown with Fiat, that the matter was resolved by Fiat H.O. UK. Complete strip down of the electrics to find it.

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the reply,s Fortunately for the last three times I,ve gone to start the motorhome it has fired up straight away,although I must admit I cringed every time dreading the worse.The dealer whom I purchased it from did say that water had got into the fuse box which sits to the right as you look into the engine compartment on other Fiats but not necessarily on mine.What I do is when I leave the van standing, is to cover the whole engine compartment in a waterproof cover. Its suprising how much water there is on the cover when I go to the van.Maybe this has helped. Just above the fuse box is a right Heath Robinson affair, a folded piece of black foam covering something I know not what. Is that the best a

manufacturer can do? It,s a pity that the majority of motorhome manufactors use Fiats ,they must come as

BOGOF!!! This is the second Fiat I,ve owned the first had umpteen major problems .Never again! I will have to put up with this as there is no way I am going to throw good money after bad and change the van to get the same unreliability. To think that this is only 6 months old and done 2000 miles!!

No water should get into the engine compartment; it doesn't in mine. As the vehicle is only 6 months old you need to check with your dealer whether the process of diverting water from the scuttle is working correctly. It seems as though it isn't.

Don't be fobbed off by the Fiat dealer as I was on my former motorhome by Ford's with my Transit which had exactly the same problem.

Archived