Bump Stops or Spring Assisters on Boxer Van Motorhome?

Bilbos

I hope that someone can help with this challenging issue.

I took my 2009 Autosleepers Dorset/Symbol based on Boxer for its second MOT to a Peugeot dealer last Friday and was surprised when they called to say that there was a problem lack of clearance between the bump stops and the rear suspension. I called the garage back and they have said that they would need a written confirmation that spring assisters were fitted to issue the MOT. They have never heard of the problem and have even suggested that the weight of the fittings may be too great for the suspension! I have only the factory fit kit on board and the water/waste tanks are all empty!!

On Autosleepers advice I have called Peugeot customer service to get some confirmation that the van is fitted with spring assisters and not bump stops but as yet they have not replied as yet.

Has anyone else come across this issue? Any suggestions how I can resolve it!

Your help and advice would be very much appreciated please,

I suggest you do a search on this site as there is plenty about it. Basically the bump stops/assisters are an integral part of the suspension system and there is a VOSA leaflet on it which the search should reveal. Just done a quick check and there is a link here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/MOT-and-Spring-Assisters/31729/

There are other better ones so it might be worth you searching yourself.

Shaun I believe got a Fiat letter stating that the x2/50 has spring assistors.

It is quite astounding how thick some MOT inspectors can be, esp. those working for the actual manufacturer's dealers, was discussing this with my friend who will be doing the MOT on my van, he was well aware of the 'problem' of lack of clearance on x2/50's and the fact it's not a failure.

Visit a weighbridge and weigh the back axle. Take weight ticket to Peugeot agent.

If they have a new and unladen Boxer on the premises suggest they check that one. If the parts man looks at the vehicle parts list the name of the part will be shown on the computer screen.

Once resolved report matter to Mot testing authority as the tester needs advice/further training.

The phrase short plank springs to mind.

These two 2011 threads relate to MOT-related 'bump stops' problems with a Fiat Ducato-based motorhome, but would have been equally relevant to a Peugeot Boxer-based model.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-X250-failed-rear-leaf-springs/23404/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-X250-rear-leaf-springs-MOT-issues/23529/

The link Mike88 has provided includes a cross-reference to a May 2011 VOSA newsletter about the MOT and Page 13 refers to "Spring assisters an bump stops". This is an immediate link to the VOSA document

http://tinyurl.com/nagtnhu

I would have thought that presenting the Peugeot dealer with a printout of Page 13 of the newsletter, and (perhaps?) printouts of the two forum threads I've referred to above, should convince them that 'lack of clearance' above the rear springs is quite normal and not a reason for an MOT-test failure.

Thanks for all your posts. The saga continues....

So far the problem is not solved. I have contacted Peugeot who have promised that they will get back to me and the dealer tomorrow and will be able to advise on what was fitted on the van when it was produced. Autosleepers say that it was spring assisters when they fitted it out when new in 2009 - lets see if Peugeot confirm this. 8o|

If there is no clear view from Peugeot then I will have to appeal the MOT finding....

I will update tomorrow.

You make a good point and I have sent them this, and a similar post on the VOSA offical website but they say that they think that what is fitted are bump stops and not spring assisters. They want a confirmation from Peugeot to say that what are fitted are the spring assisters that are as described in the link. So I wait for Peugeot to confirm. Hopefully.

Bilbos - 2013-12-17 10:24 PM

You make a good point and I have sent them this, and a similar post on the VOSA offical website but they say that they think that what is fitted are bump stops and not spring assisters. They want a confirmation from Peugeot to say that what are fitted are the spring assisters that are as described in the link. So I wait for Peugeot to confirm. Hopefully.

Why don't you phone VOSA? They will have experienced this issue on many occasions and you could put them in touch with the MOT inspector. Or you could even identify a contact in VOSA and get the MOT Inspector to ring them.

You could start here:

VOSA

Berkeley House

Croydon Street

Bristol

BS5 0DA

Email

enquiries@vosa.gov.uk

Telephone

0300 123 9000

Fax

0117 954 3209

Thanks for the advice. VOSA say that I could appeal the finding. So I am considering that.

So far Peugeot have been unable to help. Autosleepers say that the design of the van means its fine. The dealer says it needs repair.

Does anyone know a dealer or company who gets suspension on these vans?

Mike88 - 2013-12-19 8:37 AM

You must appeal.

Alternatively, take the van to another MOT station - preferably a Peugeot, Fiat or Citroen dealer. When the vehicle passes try and get the fee back from the original dealer.

I agree.

Phone other MOT-testing stations, ask them what their attitude is to this type of thing (you may need to take your motorhome to them for a quick inspection of its rear suspension) and get the vehicle retested.

Once you've got an MOT 'pass' you can appeal against the original tester's findings, play merry hell with the Peugeot dealer and demand the test fee back.

The important thing, though, is to make sure your vehicle continues to have a valid MOT test certificate.

hallii - 2013-12-17 11:33 AM

Ford based vans have them, "auxiliary suspension units" in Ford speak.

My Ford dealer knew nothing about them! My local MOT man knew all about them.

So it pays to find an mot man that knows what they are doing.

H

Can you say, please, in what Ford literature it describes as "auxiliary suspension units" the long soft-plastic 'cones' that, on some Ford chassis, fit between the chassis and rear springs?

Did you unload all your rubbish , sorry - belongings, from the Motorhome before going for MOT test. Might be if you remove all the junk , sorry I meant useful accessories, and have van empy the rear suspension will not be resting on spring assistors and will pass. Just a suggestion as may help get it through its MOT (edit ) with this unknowledgable tester and save further mucking about

Brambles - 2013-12-19 3:24 PM

Did you unload all your rubbish , sorry - belongings, from the Motorhome before going for MOT test. Might be if you remove all the junk , sorry I meant useful accessories, and have van empy the rear suspension will not be resting on spring assistors and will pass. Just a suggestion as may help get it through its MOT (edit ) with this unknowledgable tester and save further mucking about

Our van with just gas on board and no other items is nearly touching the spring assisters, and thats on the heavy chassis with 2.4t capacity rear axle, I would guess any 33 or 35L van is on the assisters with no load. The only way to save further mucking about is to get the testers educated, so the MOT needs to be appealed at the issuing station, and the (peugeot) garage told to pull their finger out and find out how the vans (for which they are agents) are constructed.

I notice that the information in the May 2011 VOSA leaflet that Mike88, pepe63 and I provided links to earlier in this thread is repeated in this much more recent (October 2013) entry

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/2013/10/04/the-knowledge-spring-assisters-and-bump-stops/

MOT Inspection Manuals can also be accessed from that webpage (See USEFUL LINKS area) and the Manual for classes 3, 4, 5 and 7 vehicles advises in the following section

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s02000401.htm

"A suspension bump stop must not be confused with rubber/synthetic suspension spring assistors."

Auto-Sleepers currently offers the option on all its Peugeot Boxer-based panel-van conversions to have "AL-KO Air-Top & Twin Leaf Rear Suspension" as part of its Premium Upgrade Pack, which (even if the resultant ride-quality proves harsh) would at least side-step potential MOT 'bump stop' arguments.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close this long saga - The Peugoet dealer took my van over to Marquis in Northampton who MOT'ed the van.

The problem is that some MOT stations are not used to looking at the suspension on a van that is loaded, such as a motorhome.

The learning from this story - before you get your MOT done just make sure that the MOT station knows the type of van that you have. Don't assume that a main dealer is an expert. If the MOT tester is not used to looking at motorhomes take your van somewhere else.

Thanks to all who posted and offered advice. :-)

Archived