Motorhomes and health

Coachman

Have had two Hymers two Bessacars, one Autotrail Cheyenne,VW rising roof model,Mobilveta Driver 52 which I think is the only one on this Forum. Apart from the Mobilvetta had no problems , then found after buying it found water ingress at rear underneath, waste tank leaked , electric step stopped working. Now all these faults were sorted out with no cost to me.Whats that to do with health?.Within two weeks of buying this van my back involved having screws and "blocks" removed.Then appendix, I ask you at my age , they could not do normal insision but had to go through middle of stomach , 22 staples!. Then prostrate problem so another op .RH hip gave way so August last had new hip, could not wait till it had healed enough to use van again.Now problem with LH knee, no its not the knee the LH hip has gave up and nerves though leg are causing pain. Been booked in for new hip.So with all these motorhomes this is the only one we have not done at least 4/5000 miles in year. We did do France in May through alps and one show and there it stays on drive just waiting for next year after the new hip has mended.Our family is amazed at all these things happening in nineteen months . (!)

Pastiche , Sounds like your in for a re build never mind your Vehicles, just hope you recover quickly and can start enjoying your Motorhome again,   I have notice over the Later years, my conversation with Mates have Changed from drinking binges and the fairer sex to Doctors/Hospital appointments and the Medication were on, Good Luck Get well quick,  Dennis.

Brian Kirby - 2013-12-17 6:47 PM

Then I hope that ends your sad saga, and you will be able to sail off into the sunset next year in good health, and free from breakdowns and leaks. The fates owe you at least that! :-) Good luck with the hip.

Free from breakdowns certainly. Leaks just go with the territory - or did you mean his van?

Motorhoming was bad for my health - well in Scotland it was.

For years I'd been going to Scotland despite warnings about the quality of the tap water. I was urged to drink the brown water that they sold in bottles, often in cardboard tubes. The first day of drinking this brown water led to a headache. Hah, I thought - dehydration I need to drink more of this water to rehydrate. By the end of the week, I couldn't give a toss about a headache, I couldn't even remember what a head was. Subsequent visits to Scotland caused shakes, dribbling, and loss of vocal control despite resolutely staying off the tap water and sticking to the recommended brown water.

In the late 90's, I was once being treated for a trapped nerve on the NHS. Managed to tour the Highlands with just a few aches and pains until I awoke one morning in Kinlochewe with an agonising pain. It eased slightly and I drove all the way back to Kidderminster. Next day, visited a private hospital and was diagnosed with two slipped discs and two crushed vertebrae. BUPA got me sorted within a week. Often wondered whether it was the hard motorhome bed or the NHS treatment that was the cause.

Early in the noughties, I was suffering from stomach ache in Callander. In the absence of Dr Finlay, I drove back to the Wirral. Up to the local A&E who diagnosed a burst, gangrenous appendix. Took me a while to get over that.

Never been back to the 'Highlands' since on the grounds it's unhealthy. Thinking of trying next year though. An Air Ambulance will whisk me home in no time if need arises! I still drink the brown water though.

Pastiche - I had staples in my neck but not in the abdomen for the appendix. You and I had better stagger our trips north to give the NHS a chance to cope.

Guest pelmetman
Our motorhoming was disrupted this year by my health *-)...............instead of a planned mosey up the Moselle I had my gallbladder out........ my appendix's has gone..............I call it dying in installments :D............I have this vision of me at the end like that knight from Monty Python that like to say "Ni"................the one with no arms legs or body :D ..............

In October 2008 whilst heading south for the winter the Dearly Beloved had an emergency gall bladder removal in France. Never thought of "going home" much rather convalesce in the van in the sun shine than in a house in England in the rain she said,

Hospital treatment was first class and since her condition was judged life threatening, the surgery was free. I lived in the van in the hospital car park which made visiting easy. Nobody spoke English much but a few words and a lot of arm waving did the trick.

Motorhoming and health, no problem. Colin.

Archived