CC CL's

Roy

The latest update on CC CL's in September magazine shows that 11 have closed down since last month. There are 12 new CL's and the average charge is more than £8 per night. 2 are showing £10 and one is showing a whopping £12!! Thin end of the wedge or what?? Roy.

We were charged £12 on a C&CC CS recently plus £3 for hook up. It had a portakabin shower block which was clean but very mouldy and otherwise was nothing special. Compared to the CC Blackmore site we stayed on the night before for £18, I thought this was a bit steep. Having said that, there is a CS round the corner from where we live charges £3.00 per night (no hook up or other facilities are available). He says by the time he has put fuel in the ride on mower to mow the field, there is no profit. It has to be worth while for the owners, otherwise there is no point in providing the service.

I am sure that the owners are only trying to recover the cost of providing the hook ups and there are still plenty out there without hook up and at a very low cost. The demand is obvioulsy there for the hook up or it would not be supplied. The benefit of CL/CS is that you can usually negotiate with owner if you do not require hook up. Unlike the clubs who are costrained by the regulator.

[QUOTE]docted - 2006-08-27 3:34 PM I am sure that the owners are only trying to recover the cost of providing the hook ups and there are still plenty out there without hook up and at a very low cost. The demand is obvioulsy there for the hook up or it would not be supplied. The benefit of CL/CS is that you can usually negotiate with owner if you do not require hook up. Unlike the clubs who are costrained by the regulator.[/QUOTE] Hi docted I'm not sure that the Caravan Club is actually constrained by the regulator. There are lots of 'privately' owned sites that still give the choice and they are, presumably, subject to the same regulations. The CL/CS sites are also subject to the regulations laid down by the relevent club and, although they may 'negotiate' on this issue, they could face censure (including expulsion) by the club if found to be flaunting those rules. Regards, david

David the clubs are constrained by the regulator insofar as if they try to charge seperately for leccy they become resellers of leccy. Given the size of their respective site networks that would make them major players on the reselling marketplace. The Caravan Club does offer on some sites what are called economy pitches with leccy hook-up the onus is on the member to ask if one of these is available when booking/arriving. As far as the CL/cs owners they are not controlled by the clubs as to what they can charge. They are in a position to negotiate and vary their prices. Hence the notification in CC handbook "fees shown are the minimum you can expect to pay - always check when booking"

Been a member of both main clubs for some time and find the CL prices in the main reasonable, for instance stayed on one in the Cotswolds for the sum of £2.00. I have paid more on a communal aire in France! There are 3000 sites so don`t knock them all. I do agree though, there are some owners that do seem to take the preverbial in the price charged. Foxy

I do agree that there are still some good CL sites out there and we will continue to take advantage of those that are suitable for motorhomes. My real concern is that it does seem as if the club are heading in one direction only - more and more CL's with 'facilities' like sites (charging more and more fees closer to the price charged at sites) and the gradual erosion of 'economy' pitches on club sites. The example this month are in the club magazine - updated CL's in Devon (at £10 pn), Dorset (at £12 pn) and Gwynedd (at £10 pn) - whereas, on the same page, one of the loveliest little sites at Rosedale no longer has economy pitches after its' recent refurbishment. It is the future we have to be concerned with. Regards, david

Guest starspirit
You could try a new tack for low cost camping by using CCC and MCC rallies and THS's. These are usually aroung £4 to £7 a night for van & two people and often have events and social gatherings which you can either join in or not as the mood dictates. They are nearly always well run, with a laid back and happy approach from the volunteer members who run them for OUR benefit. They are often on a bus route or bikeably near a town and also offer fairly secure parking in the company of like minded beings - especially the CCC MC section and the Mcc which are princilally set up for us Motorhomers. Why not give it a try? Nothing ventured nothing gained?

Hi starspirit We don't usually do rallies but, after the discussion on 'The Motorcaravanners Club' thread (which was mainly about alyernatives to CL's and CS's) we have decided to try and support the MCC - especially in it's soon-to-be-announced campaign for more motorhome stopovers - and have now joined the club. Our first experience with them will be at the York show but we are looking forward to utilising other rally venues in the forthcoming months too. Regards, david

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-09-02 7:53 PM David, How do you join the MC Club. Regards [/QUOTE] Hi michelle Yes any or all of the above in Nick's posting will get you there. I rang Colin Reay at the MCC headquarters on 020 8893 3883. One of the many things they are still working on is getting online registration so it meant getting an old fashioned form and returning it completed with a direct debit mandate. Best regards, david

Last week we stopped on a 'real' CL near Stirling (Robertson Lane Farm,Blair Drummond) with a very fair system. A nice level area of grass with just three hook-ups. £4 a night seems very fair and just add £1 IF YOU WANT ELECTRIC. Long may they reign. Incidentally, the park and ride at Stirling is superb. Free surveillence parking and £1 return on the bus for the short ride into town. The P&R is situated alongside a large outdoor shopping complex complete with Morrisons supermarket and cheap fuel. Roy.

Archived