One for the sparkies, Rapido 12 volt problem

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
So I have come across something I've never come across before. Trying out our 12 volt TV in the new acquisition, via 12 volt cigar plug outlets, nothing, zilch, mmmmm, try a cigarette lighter for a couple of seconds to see if it warmed up at all, yes, so TV adapter brick gone duff methinks, order new one. New one arrived today, still no joy, this time get multi meter out and only 10.3 volts on both outlets, despite some very hefty cabling. All other 12 volt stuff at full battery voltage, so any ideas anyone why just these two outlets would be so down on voltage ?

I can't think of any good reason why Rapido should deliberately choose to limit the voltage at the 12V outlets. So, despite the "very hefty cabling" it still sounds like it's simple voltage drop.

Have you tried starting the vehicle's motor, or running the on-board battery-charger, to see if that perks up the outlets' voltage? Obviously this wouldn't address your TV issue, but the experiment might be worth making.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-19 2:01 PM

I can't think of any good reason why Rapido should deliberately choose to limit the voltage at the 12V outlets. So, despite the "very hefty cabling" it still sounds like it's simple voltage drop.

Have you tried starting the vehicle's motor, or running the on-board battery-charger, to see if that perks up the outlets' voltage? Obviously this wouldn't address your TV issue, but the experiment might be worth making.

No I haven't Derek, but having taken a voltage reading directly from leisure battery, one light fitting, and connection to the boiler, all showing 12.6, I'm just going over the van again for another look, as I've just remembered there are two Aux buttons on the CBE panel, I'll see if that makes a difference,although you'd think it would be full voltage or non, pressed or not, thanks. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Doing what I should have done in the first place, booked it in with an expert. ;-) struggled enough with the bloody boiler. :D

This is one of the problems in not being able to get hold of a full wiring Diagram for the Rapido,s . looking at the " Diagram of Principle" in my users Manual, it appears on the 12volt side there are lights ,taps ,extractor hood ,toilet pump , fridge BOILER as well at the Tv connection point, so if you have 12volts+ at all these other points it can only be down to the Cigar point which I would believe is on the engine battery side , as already stated try running the engine then get another meter reading .

Guest 1footinthegrave
Corky 8 - 2013-12-19 4:12 PM

This is one of the problems in not being able to get hold of a full wiring Diagram for the Rapido,s . looking at the " Diagram of Principle" in my users Manual, it appears on the 12volt side there are lights ,taps ,extractor hood ,toilet pump , fridge BOILER as well at the Tv connection point, so if you have 12volts+ at all these other points it can only be down to the Cigar point which I would believe is on the engine battery side , as already stated try running the engine then get another meter reading .

No Dennis, the Cigar points in the habitation side of the van are merely there as aux 12 volt outlet sockets connected to the leisure battery, they are not connected to the engine battery,and just to double check the ones in the cab are fine, however I have this afternoon been able to track down their connections to a multi-plug on the CBE distribution panel under the bed, ( another thing that resembles something out of Apollo 11 :-| ) and taking a reading directly from the panel connections shows the same reading, and with this multiplug disconnected there is zero reading from the cigar sockets. This would appear to be down to a fault on that board, as it is the van is under warranty,and rather than faff about any more I'm taking it to our man ( not sure that I can say who under forum rules ) but his name rhymes with rave, and a new hall ;-)

I'm just glad that given the faults and stupid positioning of the boiler, and now this, I'm glad I bought a 2nd from the top list of quality vans. :D

From one Rapido owner to another.

A little unsure of what you are describing and where :D

You say Cigar plug outlets which I assume are in the dashboard. These will be a Fiat problem. usually corrosion on the blades of the fuses in the Fiat fuse box.

For some reason known only to Fiat, these sockets have slightly different diameters so a UK plug tend to wobble and work lose whilst in use. A small packing of cardboard and brute force generally solves the problem

The connectors (generally) in the TV cabinet and kitchen are Din sockets and either take a Din plug or need a UK power plug to Din converter.

Unless the previous owner has changed the Din sockets to UK type sockets, in which case it could be a dodgy connection.

Also Rapido sockets (generally) do not work unless the habitation control panel is on. On my Rapido the Aux 1 and 2 buttons are a hard wired function used by Dealer / Rapido.

On my Rapido.

Aux 1 is supposed to control the Sat dish, controller and sat unit wiring . It does not as the wiring is wrong and the unit is/ was live all the time !

Aux 2 controls the radio. Which is a bit of pain as the radio has to switched on from Aux 1, when the ignition is off. So for quick listen whilst waiting for the wife to finish shopping, means trolling up the mhome to switch the radio on. Its one of those round-to-it jobs.

Rgds

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes sorry, I'm still in pounds, shillings, and pence, they are as you rightly say round din connectors and I'm using with din to UK type cigarette plugs, one in the TV cupboard, and one in another cupboard. :$ but as I said I have established they are directly connected to the habitation distribution board but only getting 10.3 volts, the man who earns his living suspects the PCB being the culprit, and I suspect he's correct, he usually is. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-19 8:25 PM

Yes sorry, I'm still in pounds, shillings, and pence, they are as you rightly say round din connectors and I'm using with din to UK type cigarette plugs, one in the TV cupboard, and one in another cupboard. is.

Get rid of the adaptors where you can, on the higher current devices like the TV, cut the plug off and fit a din more commonly known as a Hella plug, it won't help your current situation but will prevent future problems, the quality of the sockets on the adaptors is dreadful.

Just a thought What does your Habitation Battery voltage readout on your habitation board ?

I will brave the cold later and see what voltages I am getting at the TV and Kitchen Dins.

FWIW I run the TV and Pace 12V unit via a Din plug to doubler UK power socket and all works OK The Din to double socket has a switch in line to switch off the power to the TV etc otherwise they tend sit in standby mode all the time.

Rgds

Just to add that if the Aux button had been wired up properly I would have used that circuit !

Guest 1footinthegrave
tonyishuk - 2013-12-20 1:06 PM

Just a thought What does your Habitation Battery voltage readout on your habitation board ?

I will brave the cold later and see what voltages I am getting at the TV and Kitchen Dins.

FWIW I run the TV and Pace 12V unit via a Din plug to doubler UK power socket and all works OK The Din to double socket has a switch in line to switch off the power to the TV etc otherwise they tend sit in standby mode all the time.

Rgds

Just to add that if the Aux button had been wired up properly I would have used that circuit !

Thanks for your interest Tony, I have narrowed the problem down the CBE distribution board, 12.6 volts on all circuits, with the exception of just the one feeding the DIN plugs supplies, the PCB can only be at fault, in the old days I'd have just put an inline fuse in and taken a new supply direct to the battery, but the van is under warranty so not really a problem, thanks. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-20 1:27 PM

... but the van is under warranty so not really a problem, thanks. ;-)

Just curious Mike but I thought you had dismissed using the selling dealer/warranty because of the distances involved..?

( ...and I thought you had dismantled the kitchen and have the boiler in bits?).

Will they still cover it warranty wise, if they think you've been tinkering with it? :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave

I have spoken to the dealer, they told me they have no particular interest it seems in actually doing the warranty work themselves, and are happy for me to take it to someone closer,just wish that had been explained to me from the beginning, although I guess I should have contacted them immediately, hindsight is a wonderful thing though. (!) which is just as well as I've also discovered yesterday and had it confirmed by Dometic, the fridge freezer was subject to a safety recall, that has apparently been over looked, and on checking myself ,half of the condenser unit is hanging off.

As for me tinkering ( well I've repaired the boiler now ) someone had had a bloody good tinker before me,with half the screws missing that of course were not easily spotted on the day. (!)

But contacting Dometic has proved rather troublesome to say the least, my email below.

Hello, I telephoned your technical department yesterday morning to enquire about the status of this safety recall, I was promised a call back but never received one.

The Fridge is a model number RM7655L, serial number is 52100016, I have recently purchased this vehicle, the vendor has no knowledge if an inspection has taken place, could you tell me if indeed it has been inspected, if not how do I proceed, many thanks, (>)

:-S So there you go, another confidence building dealer and major appliance supplier experience,

knackered boiler, knackered distribution board, and Fridge subject to a GAS safety recall, that's slipped through the net. :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-12-20 6:39 PM

You don't seem to be having much luck with it...

Le's when it's sorted, there are no other "surprises" waiting for you......

I don't think the previous owner had much luck either, new clutch, new front wheel bearings, all before 30,000 miles, and probably explains why someone would have a brand new 4 metre awning fitted just two months before, then PX it. 8-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-20 1:27 PM

tonyishuk - 2013-12-20 1:06 PM

Thanks for your interest Tony, I have narrowed the problem down the CBE distribution board, 12.6 volts on all circuits, ------------

No problems, saved me going out in freezing horizontal rain :D

Hope you get your`problems resolved

Rgds

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-20 5:03 PM

...But contacting Dometic has proved rather troublesome to say the least, my email below.

Hello, I telephoned your technical department yesterday morning to enquire about the status of this safety recall, I was promised a call back but never received one.

The Fridge is a model number RM7655L, serial number is 52100016, I have recently purchased this vehicle, the vendor has no knowledge if an inspection has taken place, could you tell me if indeed it has been inspected, if not how do I proceed, many thanks, (>) ...

This earlier forum thread refers to the Dometic 'safety recall' relating to 2004-2007-manufactured 2-door fridge-freezers.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Dometic-Recall/9904/#M86572

The links within that thread provide more detail, including the model numbers of the appliances requiring work. You'll see that the modification involved adding a sturdy bracket to provide additional support to the condenser unit and, as your unit is hanging off, it's pretty much certain that your fridge-freezer wasn't modified.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-21 10:15 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-20 5:03 PM

...But contacting Dometic has proved rather troublesome to say the least, my email below.

The Fridge is a model number RM7655L, serial number is 52100016, I have recently purchased this vehicle, the vendor has no knowledge if an inspection has taken place, could you tell me if indeed it has been inspected, if not how do I proceed, many thanks, (>) ...

This earlier forum thread refers to the Dometic 'safety recall' relating to 2004-2007-manufactured 2-door fridge-freezers.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Dometic-Recall/9904/#M86572

The links within that thread provide more detail, including the model numbers of the appliances requiring work. You'll see that the modification involved adding a sturdy bracket to provide additional support to the condenser unit and, as your unit is hanging off, it's pretty much certain that your fridge-freezer wasn't modified.

yes thanks for that Derek, I did actually get an email very late yesterday confirming mine was one of the ones affected, just a bit worrying given it's age how long it's been flapping around, and also how these recalls can slip under the radar though as they apparently do not keep records of ones that have been through the recall process, as they have asked me to send either pictures of the back of the fridge, ( done ) or visit a Dometic agent. ;-)

fridgeback.JPG.6225021a32404e9755b34fe055834254.JPG

Archived