Off to Spain.

al1

Hi everyone, I'm off to Spain at the end of January, 2014, crossing to Calais on the 29th and heading down to Benidorm area. If anyone is heading that way and would like to join up as a little convoy then I would probably appreciate the company. I shan't be rushing and will be staying on aires.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
al1 - 2013-12-21 9:33 AM

Hi everyone, I'm off to Spain at the end of January, 2014, crossing to Calais on the 29th and heading down to Benidorm area. If anyone is heading that way and would like to join up as a little convoy then I would probably appreciate the company. I shan't be rushing and will be staying on aires.

Alone again, naturally. :-)

Keep all your doors locked, all windows and roof lights/vents closed, tank up at the border, keep on the move, and don't stop for anything or anyone.

Good luck.

Bulletguy - 2013-12-22 9:04 PM

Keep all your doors locked, all windows and roof lights/vents closed, tank up at the border, keep on the move, and don't stop for anything or anyone.

Good luck.

Just got back from 6 weeks in Benidorm, had and saw no problems whatsoever also our first time.

John

Good luck.

Don't start up again.

peter - 2013-12-22 10:42 PM

Good luck.

Don't start up again.

Don't worry, I went to Spain in Feb this year, (Benidorm area) for 3 months and apart from one nasty little incident with a Spanish git who wanted me to contribute to his non-existent charity and I almost had to get medieval on his a** I didn't have any problems at all............I've read all the scaremongering stories about getting robbed, stopped on motorways by bandits, gypsies, etc and apart from taking the usual sensible precautions I just try to enjoy myself and enjoy the sun and getting away from the day to day British politics which is so depressing. ;-)

al1 - 2013-12-23 7:07 PM

Good luck.

Don't start up again.

Don't worry, I went to Spain in Feb this year, (Benidorm area) for 3 months and apart from one nasty little incident with a Spanish git who wanted me to contribute to his non-existent charity and I almost had to get medieval on his a** I didn't have any problems at all............I've read all the scaremongering stories about getting robbed, stopped on motorways by bandits, gypsies, etc and apart from taking the usual sensible precautions I just try to enjoy myself and enjoy the sun and getting away from the day to day British politics which is so depressing. ;-)

Don't forget the serious danger of being gassed in your sleep - which of course is nothing to do with the amount of alcohol consumed!!! :D

Tony Jones - 2013-12-23 7:33 PM

Good luck.

Don't start up again.

Don't forget the serious danger of being gassed in your sleep - which of course is nothing to do with the amount of alcohol consumed!!! :D

Dude......... :-D

Hi,we did that journey just before Xmas for the 6 th time and had no problems at all.we have tried several routes and I think at last, we have found the perfect one for us. We also leave very early in the morning, 3 or 4 am which is great as the roads are virtually empty and we arrive at our aire around lunchtime, which gives us plenty of time to see the area in the daylight. Happy travels.

trickydicky - 2013-12-26 9:29 AM

Hi,we did that journey just before Xmas for the 6 th time and had no problems at all.we have tried several routes and I think at last, we have found the perfect one for us. We also leave very early in the morning, 3 or 4 am which is great as the roads are virtually empty and we arrive at our aire around lunchtime, which gives us plenty of time to see the area in the daylight. Happy travels.

TD

Please tell, as hope to travel in a few months time, not sure which way..

trickydicky - 2013-12-26 9:29 AM

Hi,we did that journey just before Xmas for the 6 th time and had no problems at all.we have tried several routes and I think at last, we have found the perfect one for us. We also leave very early in the morning, 3 or 4 am which is great as the roads are virtually empty and we arrive at our aire around lunchtime, which gives us7 plenty of time to see the area in the daylight. Happy travels.

Are there two 3 or 4 o'clocks in a day? If there is then my nose is quite firmly under the duvet.

Hi caddies, we love this route. Calais, Rouen, then we stay at the aire in ste. Maure de touraine.next day, up early, through Poitiers before the morning traffic, N10 all the way to Bordeaux,then mont de marsen,to our next aire at Oleron st.marie, which is approx 25 miles before the somport tunnel. Again up early, through the tunnel,on to the A23 all the way to Valencia, motorway,then the N 332 to benidorm.we do this in 3 days easily ,bearing in mind,we travel from approx 3 am to lunchtime,with usually one half hour break.some people like to take their time, we prefer to get there quickly,mainly because it is cold when we go and there isn't much else to do.hope this helps you with your route.

al1 - 2013-12-23 8:31 PM

Tony Jones - 2013-12-23 7:33 PM

Good luck.

Don't start up again.

Dude......... :-D

I get gassed in my bed every night ?

trickydicky - 2013-12-26 1:21 PM

Hi caddies, we love this route. Calais, Rouen, then we stay at the aire in ste. Maure de touraine.next day, up early, through Poitiers before the morning traffic, N10 all the way to Bordeaux,then mont de marsen,to our next aire at Oleron st.marie, which is approx 25 miles before the somport tunnel. Again up early, through the tunnel,on to the A23 all the way to Valencia, motorway,then the N 332 to benidorm.we do this in 3 days easily ,bearing in mind,we travel from approx 3 am to lunchtime,with usually one half hour break.some people like to take their time, we prefer to get there quickly,mainly because it is cold when we go and there isn't much else to do.hope this helps you with your route.

Can you please advise what the toll charges are on this route

.....or the 9 hours driving with a half hour break.....3am till lunchtime .....

Yes, we all want to make some progress but all this talk of driving for this many hours can't be necessary, can it? Can it be safe? Would a professional driver be allowed to do what some claim to be normal practice on here?

I really like driving, but feel about 5 hours is the most i should be driving during one day.

When I was working, I would drive from the West Country to our other base i. Kendal, then have a business meeting, lunch, another meeting and then drive home. This involved about 9 hours driving and I was shattered by the time i got home. Not a position i think is necessary in our pastime.

Yes, I know we are all different, but 9 hours with only 30 mins break, how macho is that ;-)

bolero boy - 2013-12-30 10:27 AM.....or the 9 hours driving with a half hour break.....3am till lunchtime .....Yes, we all want to make some progress but all this talk of driving for this many hours can't be necessary, can it? Can it be safe? Would a professional driver be allowed to do what some claim to be normal practice on here? I really like driving, but feel about 5 hours is the most i should be driving during one day.When I was working, I would drive from the West Country to our other base i. Kendal, then have a business meeting, lunch, another meeting and then drive home. This involved about 9 hours driving and I was shattered by the time i got home. Not a position i think is necessary in our pastime.Yes, I know we are all different, but 9 hours with only 30 mins break, how macho is that ;-)
I fully agree with you on this,I have heard worse than this also,madness but each to their own.If these people have accidents etc I hope it is only them that suffer and that they don,t involve innocents.

I think you are overplaying it a bit here as 9 hours is not that long but I would agree 30 min break a bit short. If you really want to describe madness are junior doctors in hospitals still doing silly hours and that is far more taxing than sitting on an open motorway. It is everybody to their own however

Hamish, didn't mean to overplay the fact as we are all different. For myself, I could drive all day...but safely at full concentration, not sure about that.

If 9 hours is 'not that long' whats the normal duration for motorhome driving before we get into the realm of 'that's enough'.........13 hours.......more? Not near me, I hope ;-)

Guest Had Enough

I really do object to my driving schedule being called madness. Those using such epithets have clearly not considered the difference between cruising on motorways and battling through towns and villages. The accident rate on the roads chosen by those who refuse to pay tolls is far higher than on motorways.

Now please remember, I'm not talking here about exploring France, I'm talking about getting through it as quickly as possible. Driving through northern France in January is no fun. There are no campsites open and whilst there are plenty of aires they all have the water turned off!

I can leave my overnight motorway picnic aire at 9.00 am, having had a relaxing hour and a half having breakfast and topping up the water at the toilet blocks that all such aires provide.

We stop every couple of hours, sometimes two and a half hours, depending on traffic and how easy or not the journey is going. Driving on the motorways cannot be compared to driving on N and D roads. It's easy, relaxing and we set the cruise control to sixty MPH and listen to music and admire the scenery if it's worth admiring.

Our breaks are of thirty minutes and longer for lunch. We drive until about 8.00 pm, What's the point of stopping at say, 5.00 pm? There's nothing to do and it's usually freezing.

We dine at about 8.30 pm, watch some TV or read a book and go to bed about 11.00 pm as we're not exactly getting up early at 7.30 a.m.

I have never felt stressed out with this schedule but I have felt stressed out by five hours on D roads stuck behind slow drivers, enduring diversions and going round villages that have ten roundabouts to negotiate.

To repeat once more, if you don't want to use tolls, I'm very happy for you. I know that some people don't want to spend money on them and that's fine but I don't mind spending the money for what is always a far easier, safer and swifter journey to Spain or wherever else we're going.

I even have the Sanef transponder which allows us to sail through toll booths! That costs an extra five Euro for each calendar month that it's used, which will horrify some on here even more. But the convenience of not fumbling with cash or credit cards and getting one monthly direct debit for the tolls is worth every penny to me.

Archived