Off to Spain.

al1

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2014-01-02 7:56 AM

Lovely and easy toll motorways all the way, with lots of aires to stop, fill up the water tank and empty the loo. That's the life eh? (lol) (lol) (lol)

Make your mind up - you told us they were closed and turned of to prevent freezing

So we are both carrying sh*t in a container in our vans. The only difference is in my case its inside a plastic bag keeping the container clean. Then I carry it inside another plastic (carrier) bag to a dog bin which are far more plentiful than waste disposal points, and much easier just to put the bag inside a bin than go in a disgusting waste disposal place, when you can find one, carrying a wet container you have got to empty.

Enjoy your breakfast ;-)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2014-01-02 12:03 PM

Had Enough - 2014-01-02 7:56 AM

Lovely and easy toll motorways all the way, with lots of aires to stop, fill up the water tank and empty the loo. That's the life eh? (lol) (lol) (lol)

Make your mind up - you told us they were closed and turned of to prevent freezing

So we are both carrying sh*t in a container in our vans. The only difference is in my case its inside a plastic bag keeping the container clean. Then I carry it inside another plastic (carrier) bag to a dog bin which are far more plentiful than waste disposal points, and much easier just to put the bag inside a bin than go in a disgusting waste disposal place, when you can find one, carrying a wet container you have got to empty.

Enjoy your breakfast ;-)

I'll try to explain it to you again. If you travel on the N and D roads through northern France there are hardly any campsites open. There are lots of aires but the water is turned off so that means no chemical toilet disposal either. This means that you have to adopt weird and disgusting tactics such as defecating in a bucket (I hope there's only you in the 'van!) and then hunting down dog-poo disposal points in order to get rid of your plastic bags full of sh*t and the large bottles that are full of urine.

But if you travel on the motorways, each aire, even a picnic aire, has a toilet block. Here you can get water and empty your loo with no fuss. I have always found water on the motorway aires.

I hope that helps! I'm still giggling at the image of you squatting over a bucket! That more than makes up for the disgusting images and the thought of the horrible smells that could put me off my food! (lol) (lol) (lol) Happy squatting anyway! ;-)

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2014-01-01 10:26 PM

I can go into my very nice shower room

My shower is a builder's bucket and a bowl of water heated on the stove, which I pour over my head with a cup. I don't need to worry about running out of water because I can see how much I have got in the bowl (or the water going rancid in pipes and tanks)

The floor is all lino, anything absorbent is in plastic boxes or off the floor, so I don't need to worry about getting the floor wet. So I can wash it out and see its spotless instead of wondering whats hidden in the carpet. :-)

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2014-01-02 12:13 PM

I'm still giggling at the image of you squatting over a bucket!

whats the difference between squatting over a bucket with a plastic bag in it, and a different shaped plastic container without one? Why would one smell worse than the other?

In any case I have a commercial vehicle fan in the roof that draws 17 cubic metres of air per minute out of the van, thats even faster than I can produce gas, so smell is not an issue. :-D

828250639_fan1.jpg.bb4fcb1f730fd4c4d76d86ece9f422cb.jpg

269533375_fan2.jpg.594f166d8bf3d8be221ef1d5f8cc8be3.jpg

1574914725_fan3.jpg.8ddd4d7a66ffa3c31882065526765b48.jpg

1718140295_fan4.jpg.95f73be203d0f191cd37737cc323866c.jpg

Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2014-01-02 12:17 PM

My shower is a builder's bucket and a bowl of water heated on the stove, which I pour over my head with a cup. I don't need to worry about running out of water because I can see how much I have got in the bowl (or the water going rancid in pipes and tanks)

The floor is all lino, anything absorbent is in plastic boxes or off the floor, so I don't need to worry about getting the floor wet. So I can wash it out and see its spotless instead of wondering whats hidden in the carpet. :-)

I'm sure everyone is very envious of your sophisticated sanitary arrangements and even now I can pictures dozens of members ripping out their shower rooms and tearing out their Thetfords! ;-)

I just hope that you're a lone traveller! (lol) (lol) I don't think I'd like to be in a motorhome when you're squatting over your builder's bucket! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2014-01-02 12:48 PM

Peter James - 2014-01-02 12:17 PM

I'm sure everyone is very envious of your sophisticated sanitary arrangements and even now I can pictures dozens of members ripping out their shower rooms and tearing out their Thetfords! ;-)

I just hope that you're a lone traveller! (lol) (lol) I don't think I'd like to be in a motorhome when you're squatting over your builder's bucket! (lol) (lol) (lol)

I don't think I would like to be in one when you are squatting over your Thetford with a lesser extractor fan. ;-)

Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2014-01-02 1:09 PM

I don't think I would like to be in one when you are squatting over your Thetford with a lesser extractor fan. ;-)

But of course I don't squat as you do, I sit, as my Thetford has a very comfortable seat! Plus, when I sit I'm in my closed-off shower/toilet room with lots of ventilation. It appears from your squatting that the smell is so awful that you need very powerful ventilation, hence the botch-up on your roof! (lol) (lol)

Come on, keep trying to convince us how squatting over a builder's bucket is better than using a proper toilet in a proper toilet compartment - you're not doing too well up to now! ;-) ;-)

Try to remember these two words: squat - sit! Very different! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2014-01-02 1:31 PM

There is actually some sense in what you said there. Was it a mistake?

I saw a TV programme where the continental (squatting) toilet was said to be better than the British (sitting) toilet for 2 reasons;

There is no contact to spread disease (not a problem with a plastic bag which is replaced every time, and is even better because the bowl and reservoir is effectively replaced every time too)

The squatting position helps to squeeze more out

enjoy your lunch ;-)

Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2014-01-02 1:47 PM

Had Enough - 2014-01-02 1:31 PM

There is actually some sense in what you said there. Was it a mistake?

I saw a TV programme where the continental (squatting) toilet was said to be better than the British (sitting) toilet for 2 reasons;

There is no contact to spread disease (as with a plastic bag which is replaced every time)

The squatting position helps to squeeze more out

enjoy your lunch ;-)

yawn.gif.dec15538c3835324c7c2f222850589d9.gif

Minicamper - 2014-01-02 8:41 AM

Well, I have had a good chuckle reading these posts over breakfast this morning. Thanks, Guys, made my day!! And hopefully, the OP has had some helpful advice along the way too.

OP here. Well what a croc of pish this thread degenerated into. If I wanted a load of spurious advice about how to travel through France I would have asked for it.......ditto toilet habits. As for HadEnough and Peter James I have several suggestions....Stick to Chatterbox (whatever that is)....Get a room.... Meet up with a pair of boxing gloves....Grow up.....but whatever FFS stay away from any future thread I may reluctantly start.

Archived