Leaking Burstner roof

tonyclaire

Hi all

Having spent most of the year trying to pinpoint exactly where water is leaking into my van I am now on the verge of madness. The sponge roof lining becomes very wet in the corner where the fibreglass cab roof meets the main flat roof especially when water is allowed to sit in a puddle at this point. The reason I am so confused is that having mimicked pools of water with a free flowing leak repair fluid the join between cab roof and main roof appears to be totally water tight. I even modified the external plastic trim which covers the join as it was filling up with water but still have a wet van. Is it possible to remove the internal aluminium strip which covers the join to get a better idea of what is going on?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Sorry can't help with your specific van but in general terms is the van parked perfectly level as water can track from it's entry point to where it appears inside if the van is even slightly sloping to a low point and this alone can make leak finding next to impossible to pinpoint.

Think you could be right , it is the only explanation. An RV company in America find leaks by pumping air into the vehicle and spraying a soapy solution over the area in question. If a bubble appears that is where the leak is. May have to get the leaf blower out!

Many thanks

Firstly, I would say, What model and year is the van ? where did you purchase it from ? and how long ago ? This is for any warranty that might be in operation. The Dealer (if you bought it from a Dealer)should be your first point of contact.

Secondly, Water ingress is (as Tracker says) notoriously difficult to pinpoint, and I think you need professional help to get it fixed properly, otherwise more and more damage is being caused while you search yourself.

Not much help I know, but lets see what others advise :

Good Luck Ray

I'm sure a few on here will be saying ' It cannot be leaking it's a German Burstner'.

An airtight motorhome - now that would be awesome!

Just one or two small points - how do you breath at night when all the windows are shut!

And where does all the air that comes in via the heater and air vents go when on the move!

And what happens if you get a gas leak!

Lovely thought, a draught proof van, but then again maybe not!!

It is a 2007 Burstner Solano T615. No warranty. It is annoying because apart from the leak it is a lovely motorhome. Prob will speak to my nearest dealer but have read bad reviews about them. We aim to go to Spain for a few months in the new year so it will have a chance to dry out at least

Many thanks

Yes it was Tolly and I will continue testing areas with it. I like the fact (if it works) it is an invisible repair. For that reason I have not used other sealants. I simply cut some of the plastic away at the bottom of the trim so water could escape as quickly as it entered.

Capt Tolley's is not the ideal product to use - I wouldn't encourage it's use other than for the very smallest of ingress issues, and certainly not in the location you are applying it to.

In fact, it can in often prohibit a satisfactory repair.

I've noticed [looking on the web] that there is a small capping mould where the GRP front pod abuts the roof and side, this would be my first suspect.

If you have removed some trim to create a 'limber hole' of sorts to enable drainage then I assume that there is a significant amount of water wicking in.

I have seen the same model at a dealers with a stain on the near-side headlining tangental to the pod/roof joint - is this where your problem lies?

Our problem is offside but sounds like the van you mention has the same issue. We did pay a caravan repairer who just applied clear silicone along joins on the roof. This did not adhere and it still leaked so I removed it as it looked what it was - a poor repair effort. Not sure what else to try. Would like to remove the internal strip covering the join between cab and flat roof but not sure how. I think this would give me a clearer view of where water is getting in.

Silicone! - Can never understand why so called 'professional' people persist with inferior products.

You seem determined to have that trim off! although I'm not convinced this will help you deduce the point of entry. If that's what you really want to do, I would imagine that if there are no visible fixings? Probably a two part trim then, one part fixed, with a snap-on cover strip, which requires prising off - gently!

However, having never seen the trim in question I am merely speculating!

I would suggest you ditch the Capt Tolleys and use a decent PU sealant, acrylic sealants [like Tolly] are not really up to the task. Nothing wrong with it for some limited applications, but if you want to ensure a good repair with structural integrity you need to look at alternatives.

Failing that take the van to a decent boatyard - people with a bit more nous than your caravan repairer!!!

I assisted with a caravan leak and we sealed and resealed every joint, we removed the window and resealed that, we made a minute examination of the plastic for cracks and the aluminium for holes and still no joy.

With the headlining partially removed the underside of the plastic became visible, no insulation at all.

With two kids and two adults breathing, cooking etc the moisture condensed on the cold plastic and dripped. When it rained the even colder surface and more moist air made it worse.

A good lump of polystyrene cut to fit and a bit more ventilation cured it.

Probably not your problem but worth mentioning?

H

Not sure that I fall into the 'Brit Knocking' category -

I've never implied Euro Coachbuilts are leak free, but based on observations they are certainly better constructed.

As I've said before, and it pains me to say it - Euro CB vans are, on the whole far better in terms of structural design and assembly technique. Having said that I did imply in a recent post that there are one or two German built vans where I can see possible problems, due to a revision in design.

However, from what I've witnessed at the recent NEC show, there are some glaring structural errors with many British vans including those perceived to be at the higher end of the market, as well as some that appear to be the 'usual suspects'

Anyone who owns a British built van, I urge you to take a very good look at what lurks underneath.

I think Eddie is away at the moment!!

does that mean we can post  and not get shot down in flames....

have you condidered taking off the jointing stripps sealing with stickiflex and new screws ...when van is parked level you can see puddy patches where water as sat for a long time this could be the source of leak on roof ..roof lights are worth taking of and re sealing with stockiflex

kelly58 - 2013-12-22 4:32 PM

Where are all the UK built van knockers ? you know the one's those that say only EU built vans are the best and leak free !!! bit quiet here at the moment , was that a pin I heard drop ?

No one has ever said German van are immune to the occasional problem. If you take into account how many German vans are produced compared to the few the UK manufacturers produce the failure rate is very low as a percentage compared to the British rubbish that is turned out.

kelly58 - 2013-12-22 4:32 PM

Where are all the UK built van knockers ? you know the one's those that say only EU built vans are the best and leak free !!! bit quiet here at the moment , was that a pin I heard drop ?

Just to be pedantic it was a pin you heard landing *-) *-) John

Thanks all.

Yes I think the trim is in two parts but do not want to damage it trying to remove it so think I will have to look into other repair products as suggested. May start a process of elimination with waterproofing tape that can be removed later. Talking to boat owners is a very good idea. Many thanks.

Would it not be Prudent to take your Motorhome to a Reputable Repair centre, and probably more economical in the long run, I don't know in which part of the Country you live, but there will be a Repair centre which could be recommended in your Area, we had our Autotrail resealed by Crossley Caravans in Layland Lanc,s, who took off all the trims before re sealing it with a better sealant then Autotrail uses, their words not mine, it wasn't cheap but solved a lot of water ingress .

The problem I have is finding a reputable repairer. Cost is another issue as we are now on a limited budget having decided to "live the dream" and fulltime in the motorhome. We are in the new forest but have yet to find a repairer who can give us more than just a vague hint as to the cause of the ingress. As I now have time on my hands I am determined to get it sorted one way or another.

By the way, we really hope to bump into some of you during our travels.

Tony and Claire

Well, if you're in the New Forest you have a million boat builders/yards available to you.

If you actually think that it's not cost-effective to use a pro and do your own repair, that's all well and good.

False economy if your van is slowly rotting away though, as you have no real idea of the extent of the problem.

If you want some reputable names in the locality of the Hamble send me a PM, some of these I have known for any years. In terms of knowledge and skill they will be streets ahead, if you were closer to me I'd take a look myself!

Good luck with the full-timing ;-)

Archived