radio removal

clifford60

hi all, i have a 1996 ducato with a power drain. i suspect it is the radio. it is a pioneer anh-p9r and is also a cd player and sat nav with a removable front. does anyone know how to remove the beast without damaging the van facia. it is the most useless piece of junk that came with the van. i cannot understand why anyone buys such things. it is so complicated to use especially as you cannot read the front from a normal driving position. bring back valves i say.

.....from the installation instructions available here,

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/archive/ANH-P9R-BK/media.html

it would appear that you will Pioneer-specific extraction keys to remove the main unit from the "sleeve". This latter can then usually be removed by carefully bending back such "tabs" as have been used to secure it in the radio slot.

If you haven't got the keys, you can often obtain them cheaply via eBay (search for "Pioneer Radio Removal Keys").

clifford60 - 2013-12-22 2:10 PMhi all, i have a 1996 ducato with a power drain. i suspect it is the radio. it is a pioneer anh-p9r and is also a cd player and sat nav with a removable front. does anyone know how to remove the beast without damaging the van facia. it is the most useless piece of junk that came with the van. i cannot understand why anyone buys such things. it is so complicated to use especially as you cannot read the front from a normal driving position. bring back valves i say.
I had one of those in the Chausson van I have recently bought, I too did not want or like it so I took it out, before I did this I went to our local  radio fitting shop, who also are Pioneer agents, I asked them if they could remove it for me and fit a standard Radio, sure they said but it will cost about an Hundred pounds depending on where the Brain Box is fitted ,what Brain Box I asked, well they said it will have one somewhere, OK says I  and off I go, I decided to investigate and took the dash board to bits and found the Box and removed it, there were miles of cables to remove as mine also  operated a reversing camera , it also had a separate aerial cable and power supply .Any way  I got it all out OK ,removing the actual Radio bit was easy I just used standard claws that radio fitters use, I took all the gubbins to the radio shop and had a very nice radio CD player fitted,fitting the new radio was quite complex as the fitters had to find all the original factory fitted cables and power supply as the Sat Nav was wired differently ,so I paid £29  for the fitting.I asked the shop if the  Pioneer sat nav  stuff was worth anything and they told me that the one I had would have cost me about £1200 in it's day and they would take it in part exchange, they gave me £100 for it, I could have probably got more for it if I put it on E Bay but could not be bothered and did not want any come back if it was iffy.
  I like a Radio to be a Radio, a Sat Nav to be a Sat Nav etc.and don't like mixes of anything so am very happy with my new radio and my old Tom Tom.The Pioneer I had had a screen that slid out and up when the thing was turned on all very impressive to watch but I am glad to be rid of it can't remember the model number but it had an instruction book as thick as a Bible and all in English too.

hi both, thanks for your replies and advice. i've decided to leave the thing alone as i dont listen to the radio whilst driving, ive got a sat nav which i don't use and life is just too short to be bothered. as for the power drain, i'll fit an isolation clip to the negative terminal of the battery and disconnect it when the van is idle. that should sort it.

Archived