Venice to Patras Ferry

FRANKP60

Hi all can anyone please give any info .

Hoping early May to catch ferry from Venice to Patras ,Understand you can sleep in Motor home ,on open deck .But to get a price you have to book a seat ,or Aircraft type seat adding about 100 euros for two return.

Can anyone please give me the low down,ie what is seating like how much access do you get to van.

Any info will be gratefully received .Using Anek lines.

We've done Italy - Greece a few times now usually via Ancona or Bari and only once (returning) via Venice. That was out of season, early November, and we couldn't camp on board because Anek don't use their camper deck ships on that route when the weather gets rougher. There's a danger of waves coming thorough the large cutouts in the hull!

But camping on board is great. It pays to get in the queue at least 90 mins early. That way you're more likely to get a spot next to the hole in the wall and a nice view. The deck hands do try to put campers there. It's much nicer than being one or two lanes in. And the nearer to midships you go the greater the risk of being parked next to a Thermo King. That's REALLY irritating with the compressor turning on and off every few minutes.

If the Venice ferry is like the others, you'll get a pass that opens the door to the camper deck. so you can come and go as you please, and go topsides for refreshments and entertainment. You'll also find showers and WC on the camper deck. But like the other post says. Gas forbidden, for a very good reason. (most campers use propane, which is heavier than air. If any leaks it sinks to and can accumulate in the bilges... increasing the risk of BOOM!)

The website booking is a bit hit and miss when c.o.b. so we always book over the phone and we've never had to book seats or a cabin additionally.

Hope you have a good time. And by the way.... LPG at the pumps is a rare site in Greece so refilling is tricky. I know of one in Athens and my Brother in law told me of one in Corinth (I never found it) ... Depending on how long you're planning to stay, you might think about buying/renting a Greek bottle in Patras and dropping it off when you return. The connector is the same as France/Germany.

There seem to be changes to camping on board this year (please correct me if you know otherwise)

Now only Trieste or Ancona to Patras/Corfu/Igoumenitsa (choose your hop-off point) have camping on board option.

We're heading down mid-April, so will take the Trieste option.

Yes, they usually include an aircraft seat but why use it when you have your campervan. 240v electric supplied. You can't use gas - must be off at the main valve - but can carry it in case that is confusing.

Take a small electric kettle for coffee.

Full access to and from the ship and use of toilets and showers.

Being by a deck window has pros and cons. Great view - the best imaginable if weather is good. But your pride and joy may get a regular sluicing of seawater if the crossing is rough.

I'll really miss the view sailing out of Venice..

I see your problem. Some of the convoluted sites I visited also want to add a cabin to camping on board.

You shouldn't have to pay extra for either a seat or a cabin that you won't be using... this is most likely a website glitch.

I suggest you use the website to select your crossings and options, Then once you have dates etc sorted, ring the operator direct for a quote by phone.

Returned from Greece in November with Minoan lines to Ancona. They no longer offer camping on board but instead give you a cabin plus one free meal per person. I think Anek are still doing camping on board on their Venice routes but if you contact www.ferries.gr and tell them your dates, they will get back to you with the best deals. They are a Corfu based agency who deal with all the ferry companies and, have always offered me the best prices.

When working out the prices yourself you have to include deck passage for each passenger to get to the total price. Always book your return crossing as there is a considerable saving when doing so.

With regards to LPG, there is now a lot more availability than in previous years. We came across numerous garages in the Peloponnese which have the facility, usually advertised as autogas.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Tony

Archived