french tolls

audgreen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A motorhome over 3.5 tonnes and with a standard axle arrangement becomes class 3 but if you have a tag axle and / or your 'van is over 3 meters it is class 4 (truck).

Having said that I have pulled up at automated peage points in our 5 tonne tag axle, 3.2 meter high 'van and when the sign says "class 4" and a ridiculous price comes up I press the red button and shout "Camping Car" at the microphone and the price has gone down to a class 2.

Over 3.5 tonne there are different speed limits too - Motorway 110 kph - Dual carriageway 100 kph - Single Carriageway 80 kph.

Not on many tolls but at 3850 kg was charged as a Class 2??? which is way below HGV prices. There are very good options to using toll roads and if you are retired can take slightly longer to get where you want to go.

Perhaps if you indicate where you propose to go some others may be able to advise

If you are retired why use toll roads, we are still working part time so can only have a max of 3 weeks in one go, so far in 5 years of Motorhoming only spent 70p on tolls. French Route Nationals are great way to see France OK may add a ½ day to your trip to the south of France but so much more enjoyable.

many thanks for info. thought as first time driving on "wrong side!" we might find it easier but agree we are in no rush so off piste it is then.!! We are leaving sometime end January to L'estartit Spain then later to Benicarlo. Again thanks. We had intended to leave in March, Then it was Feb now Jan, Hey Ho and away we go

Guest Had Enough
audgreen - 2013-12-22 9:04 PM

many thanks for info. thought as first time driving on "wrong side!" we might find it easier but agree we are in no rush so off piste it is then.!! We are leaving sometime end January to L'estartit Spain then later to Benicarlo. Again thanks. We had intended to leave in March, Then it was Feb now Jan, Hey Ho and away we go

Let me begin by stressing that I've no problem with whatever type of road people choose, motorway, A roads or any other roads, it's their prerogative and if they want to save money by avoiding tolls, good luck to them.

However, you really should taker some of the comments with a very large pinch of salt. Avoiding tolls and using other routes will add at least one day and possibly two to your journey to southern Spain.

Neither is it the bucolic joy that people bang on about. Driving through France in winter and using non-toll roads will be boring, frustrating and tiring. It's not all beautiful scenery and at times will be industrial, or flat and tedious and you won't drive through beautiful villages as they're by-passed by ring roads which seem to have an interminable number of roundabouts. You'll be held up by tractors and if you're unlucky as I was twice this year, you'll come across the dreade 'route barrée' where an entire village will be closed and you'll be sent off on totally unsuitable country lanes shared by enormous lorries, which are also diverted.

Using the motorways is less stressful, much easier driving and there are numerous services and picnic halts. In a few days we're off to Morocco and in France we'll overnight on the quiet picnic areas on the motorways. We've never had any problem on them and it saves looking for aires or sites and they usually have toilet blocks where we can top up the water and empty the waste.

There is only one disadvantage to motorways and it's the tolls but if you're happy to pay them then my advice is to use them as much as possible. If I'm going to Spain I don't want to waste an extra day or two both ways and would rather spend that time in my destination.

Finally, if you ever talk to any of these people who bang on about using N rods etc, you should ask them this question: If they're from the north going to Dover, of if they're from the south going to Scotland, which roads did they use?

Did they wander through the leafy lanes of Kent and Surrey, go round London on the North Circular and then navigate through the other nice counties of England? Or did they hit the motorway and take the easiest and fastest route of the M1, M6 etc?

We all know the answer to this one of course - but in Britain the motorways are free so they use them, and if they were free in France they'd use them there as well!

It's all about money, and nothing wrong with that but I just wish that they'd be honest about it and stop trying to justify their choice with all the rubbish about the joys of wandering through scenic France!

My pennyworth - Take no notice of the Autoroute toll extollers.

If you are retired & have time on your hands then give the toll roads a miss. They may be quicker, but are boring as hell. The trick is to plan your trip in small manageable chunks to enjoy your journey. Stop in small towns with aires or sites, go & have a pastis or wine or beer in the bar & relax before eating out or in your motorhome.

A leisurely breakfast & then another couple of hundred miles seeing the altering countryside the next day & repeat.

You are no longer in the rat race. (They are all bombing down the Autoroute!)

By all means use Autoroutes to by-pass major towns & cities for a Euro or two but Autoroutes, Autostrada, Autobahns, Autoputs, are soulless places, with no views, no ambiance, no life. Certainly no go for me.

Guest Had Enough
laimeduck - 2013-12-22 11:29 PM

If you are retired & have time on your hands then give the toll roads a miss. They may be quicker, but are boring as hell. The trick is to plan your trip in small manageable chunks to enjoy your journey. Stop in small towns with aires or sites, go & have a pastis or wine or beer in the bar & relax before eating out or in your motorhome.

A leisurely breakfast & then another couple of hundred miles seeing the altering countryside the next day & repeat.

By all means use Autoroutes to by-pass major towns & cities for a Euro or two but Autoroutes, Autostrada, Autobahns, Autoputs, are soulless places, with no views, no ambiance, no life. Certainly no go for me.

Yes, but you completely miss the point! He isn't going to France on holiday and I'm not either. He's going to Spain and I'm going to Morocco. We're not interested in taking several days in the middle of winter (we're both going in January!) wandering through flat boring northern France for instance and stopping in villages for a drink!

If your holiday is touring France then I do as you do, but we're not touring France, we're transiting it to another country!

Do you mind telling us how you get to Dover? Do you eschew the motorways and stop off in little cafes in leafy Kent for a drink, or do you hit the motorway to get to Dover with the minimum of fuss?

I suspect that you do the latter. But they're free in the U.K of course!

Oh, and you may not know as you don''t use the motorways but the views from them can be much nicer than from an N road where you're stuck behind a lorry. Some of the finest scenery in Europe is from a motorway!

I have done both and I am retired.

In summer it may be fine to meander down the N roads but it can still be frustrating when you end up on 1 roundabout after another.

In winter it can be a positive PITA - when it is cold damp and miserable and all you want to do is get south of the Pyrenees for a bit of warmth then getting on the motorways and saving a days travel is best.

Having said that - the most boring bit of motorway in the world is the one from Bordeaux to Biarritz. A couple of hundred miles of flat boring landscape and being over 3.5 tonne you are limited to 80 kph (50 mph) - not that the truckers always stick to it! At least now that they have made it a toll road you have to stop every so often to shout at the machine.

Seriously though - we have been through France in the winter when there was snow up to knee height and although the French seem to be a lot better than we are at keeping the roads clear they don't bother with the lay bys and Aires.

My advice is watch the weather and if it is cold / snowy or just plain miserable then pay a few quid to use the motorways.

Had Enough - 2013-12-22 11:42 PM

laimeduck - 2013-12-22 11:29 PM

Yes, but you completely miss the point! He isn't going to France on holiday and I'm not either. He's going to Spain and I'm going to Morocco. We're not interested in taking several days in the middle of winter (we're both going in January!) wandering through flat boring northern France for instance and stopping in villages for a drink!

If your holiday is touring France then I do as you do, but we're not touring France, we're transiting it to another country!

Do you mind telling us how you get to Dover? Do you eschew the motorways and stop off in little cafes in leafy Kent for a drink, or do you hit the motorway to get to Dover with the minimum of fuss?

I suspect that you do the latter. But they're free in the U.K of course!

Oh, and you may not know as you don''t use the motorways but the views from them can be much nicer than from an N road where you're stuck behind a lorry. Some of the finest scenery in Europe is from a motorway!

No High Explosive, I haven't blown up but I think you have? The OP is in no rush methinks?

Read his post again.

He was going to start in March, then February, now January - so I think he has a little time on his hands.

For the record:

After the morning rush I amble down from Oxford via Bracknell in about 2.5 hrs via the A329, M4 A329 again, A322 , M3 , M25, M26 & M20 to my 93 year old mother who lives in Dover, have a relaxing meal & overnight stay and then amble back to the tunnel for a relaxing trip over to Calais.

I may then drive as far as Montreuil if I'm going South or maybe Cambrai if I'm going East, or maybe a little further if the joy of country driving takes me.

I still work, as does my wife, but we realised long ago that bashing the mileage on a two week holiday leaves you with a weeks holiday, so it's counter productive.

You really ought to calm down old boy, you'll get so stressed getting het up all the time.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'm assuming a couple of things,the OP gives the impression it's a first, but has misgivings about using "normal" roads for the first time,or any roads come to that, perhaps some reassurance is in order.

You're on a voyage of discovery, which is for the most part is nothing short of astonishing for the first time, far less traffic density roads, and on occasions wondering where everyone is ! Sunday is a great day as there are virtually no HGVs on the road, and all the shops for the most part are shut ( UK take note ) I'm not sure at which point of entry you will make, but if it's Calais for instance you'll find yourself directly on a free motorway from the port, take your time, stop at the first service area, and pat yourself on the back, relax and have a cuppa.

People do things different ways, a pal of mine will think nothing of using the peage routes and getting 4/500 miles under his belt in the first day, but he does spend a considerable amount of cash in the process, and I personally find all Mway driving thoroughly boring, mind you the A75 is worth a go, and free for many miles if you're ever in that direction, besides I'm never in a rush once over the water, aires are plentiful and many are free, for a stopover or a kip. You're like us, retired so slow down and let your blood pressure plummet.

We regularly head off down Aquitaine neck of the woods, the only bit of peage we use is down to Abbeville, just a few euros, a few miles on more free m/ways, the rest on N roads, some of which are near motorway class anyway.

However you choose to do it will be a big adventure, my words of advice are these, don't let ANYONE rush you, be very vigilant for height restrictions, but do take your time. Here is a great site to help with your planning, and you'll see the option "minimal tolls" which is one route we often use, but there are others we use when wanting a change of scenery. Might also be worth mentioning that speed limit areas in towns and villages are denoted by the name board as you drive in, and a similar board with a line across it as you go out.

If stuff is still going on in Rouen, follow sign posts for Paris, whatever you do have a great time, I'm sure you will, we spend most of our time just waiting to get back, probably why I'm sometimes a miserable git whilst stuck here, relax and you'll be a pro in no time. ;-)

http://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

audgreen - 2013-12-22 7:51 PM

Hi all. Happy Christmas. Can anyone help us. We are finally retired and will shortly be starting our travels. We wondered if the toll roads in France charge HGV prices if like us you are over 3 1/2 tons.

Autoroute charges and their relationship to motorhomes were discussed in some detail here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Autoroute-Charges/32283/#M383455

As your Bessacarr E495 motorhome has an over-3500kg Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and two axles, it is classed as Category 3.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

You might get away with being charged the Category 2 tarif at an older manned toll-booth. However, I think your motorhome may also exceed 3.0metres in height, so you should anticipate being asked to pay the (correct) Category 3 tarif when a toll-booth has a height-measuring capability.

Although it is regularly claimed on UK motorhome forums that motocaravans (irrespective of their weight, height or number of axles) are all eligible for the Category 2 tarif, this is not the case.

Had enough is spot on here. I to never normally use toll roads, because of price, but big stretches of France away from them is tedious and boring. However in January we are off skiing and will use toll roads all the way, we can get from Calais to Chamonix in around eight hours by toll, on minor roads at least one overnight stop. If you are heading for Spain in the winter and money is not a problem use tolls. If you wish to save money and are willing to take much longer don't, pretty simple really.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-12-23 11:06 AM

Had enough is spot on here. I to never normally use toll roads, because of price, but big stretches of France away from them is tedious and boring. However in January we are off skiing and will use toll roads all the way, we can get from Calais to Chamonix in around eight hours by toll, on minor roads at least one overnight stop. If you are heading for Spain in the winter and money is not a problem use tolls. If you wish to save money and are willing to take much longer don't, pretty simple really.

If you're a seasoned over the water bloke that may well be, but this is the bloke's first time, so I think that puts a different slant on it don't you, what can be tedious and boring after a few trips is anything but for your first trip, and you never forget your first encounter with Rouen. But Henry to call many "N" roads minor roads is a little off the mark, isn't it, And to be pedantic motorways are hardy stimulating, but if the name of the game is that you want to get to a specific place in as short a time as possible, as you are doing they make far more sense, I guess only the OP knows that. ;-) and for his benefit here is one of those "minor" roads, the N10, so he has a better idea of the alternatives on offer.

N10.JPG.0782a790681e756ae60e3b8469edb670.JPG

Guest Had Enough

Ah, yes, the N10, the one that's going to be a toll road soon!

The problem with some on here is that they can't tell the difference between touring in a country and transiting it. I don't include you in this as you understand that, for some people, some of the time, toll roads are a better alternative.

In May next year we're either going to Bosnia or Sicily, we've yet to decide. Sicily is a 2000 mile trip. I can only take a maximum of five weeks holiday as I've still many commitments at home.

I could take the advice of one man on here and do 200 miles a day, so that would be ten days there and ten days back leaving only 15 days to tour Sicily. Or I can use the toll roads and do it in five days each way, thus adding a further ten days in the place I really want to explore.

Of course I'll miss the 'adventure' of driving through some of the most tedious parts of France and I'll miss the friendly little cafes and the glasses of pastis whilst a friendly local in a beret comes and serenades us with his accordion, whilst my wife buys onions from a man in a striped shirt on a bicycle who has a string of them around his neck. But hey ho, I'll just have to miss such thrilling encounters!

But, if I was touring France, I'd use the local roads in the area I want to explore, who wouldn't!

I just find it so laughable that some of us jump on the motorway to Dover, ignoring the beautiful Kent countryside but when in France will drive through flat boring regions on mind-numbing non-toll roads, getting stuck in towns and taking twice as long.

Now could it be that in England the motorways are free but in France they're not? I promise you, if the French scrapped tolls, many of the people on here who boast about never spending a penny on motorways would be on them in a flash!

I have no problem whatsoever with those who don't want to spend money on tolls, good luck to them and more power to their elbow if that's their desire.

I just wish that they say as much and stop all this bullsh*t about the joys of wandering through the bucolic countryside of France like someone in a romantic novel jointly written by Barbara Cartland and the Lonely Planet Guides.

IMO, If you need to be somewhere and want to spend the Maximum time there Use the Toll Road,  as its your first trip I would use the N roads and gain the experience of junctions ,Roundabout,s ,traffic lights where amber is none existent most of the time, get to know road signs and speed limits, finding cheaper fuel stops at Hypermarkets etc  and of coarse Aires, If you use Toll Roads Avoid using the Service as overnight stop, as that's where most incidents happen.  your in for a treat driving in France Relax and enjoy it ,  Safe Journeys which ever you choose.

Had Enough - 2013-12-23 1:23 PM

Ah, yes, the N10, the one that's going to be a toll road soon!

The problem with some on here is that they can't tell the difference between touring in a country and transiting it. I don't include you in this as you understand that, for some people, some of the time, toll roads are a better alternative.

In May next year we're either going to Bosnia or Sicily, we've yet to decide. Sicily is a 2000 mile trip. I can only take a maximum of five weeks holiday as I've still many commitments at home.

I could take the advice of one man on here and do 200 miles a day, so that would be ten days there and ten days back leaving only 15 days to tour Sicily. Or I can use the toll roads and do it in five days each way, thus adding a further ten days in the place I really want to explore.

Of course I'll miss the 'adventure' of driving through some of the most tedious parts of France and I'll miss the friendly little cafes and the glasses of pastis whilst a friendly local in a beret comes and serenades us with his accordion, whilst my wife buys onions from a man in a striped shirt on a bicycle who has a string of them around his neck. But hey ho, I'll just have to miss such thrilling encounters!

But, if I was touring France, I'd use the local roads in the area I want to explore, who wouldn't!

I just find it so laughable that some of us jump on the motorway to Dover, ignoring the beautiful Kent countryside but when in France will drive through flat boring regions on mind-numbing non-toll roads, getting stuck in towns and taking twice as long.

Now could it be that in England the motorways are free but in France they're not? I promise you, if the French scrapped tolls, many of the people on here who boast about never spending a penny on motorways would be on them in a flash!

I have no problem whatsoever with those who don't want to spend money on tolls, good luck to them and more power to their elbow if that's their desire.

I just wish that they say as much and stop all this bullsh*t about the joys of wandering through the bucolic countryside of France like someone in a romantic novel jointly written by Barbara Cartland and the Lonely Planet Guides.

Happy Christmas old Boy! Enjoy your trip.

hadenough.jpg.97aece33c1323a1a6813b6b54cfbe923.jpg

Guest Had Enough
Corky 8 - 2013-12-23 1:59 PM

IMO, If you need to be somewhere and want to spend the Maximum time there Use the Toll Road,  as its your first trip I would use the N roads and gain the experience of junctions ,Roundabout,s ,traffic lights where amber is none existent most of the time, get to know road signs and speed limits, finding cheaper fuel stops at Hypermarkets etc  and of coarse Aires, If you use Toll Roads Avoid using the Service as overnight stop, as that's where most incidents happen.  your in for a treat driving in France Relax and enjoy it ,  Safe Journeys which ever you choose.

We've overnighted on the motorway picnic areas for many years and never had any trouble. Just follow some commonsense rules - choose one that's away from a major city, if you overnight on a service area near Barcelona you're asking for trouble!

Generally, avoid the big service areas with restaurants etc. as they'll be noisier and full of lorries although we know of one on the way south that has a superb separate parking area for motorhomes that's quiet and safe.

Ask yourself, what will attract thieves the most, an aire in a town stuffed full of motorhomes or a motorway picnic area in the middle of nowhere?

There's the added advantage that if you're travelling on the motorway anyway you've no need to leave to hunt for sites or aires and the picnic areas usually have toilet blocks where you can top up your water and dump your cassette.

"QUOTE" Ask yourself, what will attract thieves the most, an aire in a town stuffed full of motorhomes or a motorway picnic area in the middle of nowhere? "

A solo Motorhome in the Middle of Nowhere with no other source of assistance, and miles to the nearest Gendarme , Prime for plucking.    hope it never happens but give me Aires any time ,   each to his/her Own. 

Guest 1footinthegrave
Corky 8 - 2013-12-23 6:03 PM

"QUOTE" Ask yourself, what will attract thieves the most, an aire in a town stuffed full of motorhomes or a motorway picnic area in the middle of nowhere? "

A solo Motorhome in the Middle of Nowhere with no other source of assistance, and miles to the nearest Gendarme , Prime for plucking.    hope it never happens but give me Aires any time ,   each to his/her Own. 

Ditto, I don't want to start a war of words with HE, but I would be very apprehensive to see or hear a vehicle park up adjacent to me in the middle of nowhere, and or the middle of the night, I think "safety in numbers" is not a phrase coined for no good reason :-S but like you say.....................................

Guest Had Enough
1footinthegrave - 2013-12-23 7:59 PM
Corky 8 - 2013-12-23 6:03 PM

Ditto, I don't want to start a war of words with HE, but I would be very apprehensive to see or hear a vehicle park up adjacent to me in the middle of nowhere, and or the middle of the night, I think "safety in numbers" is not a phrase coined for no good reason :-S but like you say.....................................
Motorway picnic aires are no more 'in the middle of nowhere' than many motorhome aires. And you are never alone as there are always other motorhomes, caravans and motorists snatching a few hours sleep.But the safety in numbers business is a myth! If you're broken into in the middle of the night do you really think that the other campers on your aire are going to jump out of bed and come to your aid? By the time they've woken up the thieves will have legged it!I really can't see the difference between an aire and a motorhome picnic area. Both are big car parks but the picnic area will most likely have a toilet block and a fresh water supply. You will have other people around you, the only difference being that they'll be in a variety of vehicles.As I said, you choose it sensibly and I try to stop on a rest area that's not just outside a big city, which isn't difficult on the French motorway network.I also avoid most big service areas, which are noisier and busier and do attract the occasional undesirable.I've been doing it for thirty years in caravans and motorhomes without having any problem at all. The nearest we came to being robbed was when the 'van next door was broken into on a campsite at Chartres, which apparently suffered lots of break-ins as it was a target for thieves who knew that there'd be lots of foreigners stopping there.The other secret is to have visible protection, which deters thieves and this applies on aires or anywhere else. I have external locks on the doors and visible alarms on the windows as well as stickers on the cab windows warning that the vehicle is alarmed (£2.00 on eBay).Potential thieves see a well protected 'van and move on to one that isn't.Motorway picnic areas are free, you don't need to leave the motorway to find a site or an aire and they have toilets for cassette emptying and fresh water. They are as safe as anywhere else that I've used and if you ever travel by motorway in France I would urge you to give one a try. You may be surprised!

Guest 1footinthegrave
To be honest we have done a couple of times when pushed, but we did find due to their nature vehicles coming and going through the night was a pain, perhaps we were unlucky, I believe the one down the Baille Somme is well regarded we often mean to give it a go. I also agree that a site is no guarantee of safety, but generally don't do sites, although we did use the one at Chartres a couple of years ago and it was crap, made all the worse by some very noisy Brits, but I'm not keen on a deserted spot either, where ever it is, in case a bogey man gets us. :-D

I do wish the contributers on this thread would stop saying that Motorways in Britain are Free !! we have ALL paid a small fortune for them over the years, they have NEVER been free.

I am an 'Anti-Toll' person, and a 'non-repentant' awkward so and so, so I hate the idea of 'Toll Roads'

(here in Wales, a lot of Tollgates got burnt to the ground, not SO long ago, by a lot of men in dresses, Read. The Rebecca Riots.) At a Push, I will stop and pay cash to a 'bod' in a box, but will ignore anything 'Automated' , they are just trying to avoid employing anyone. 8-) Ray

The Tolls on the Severn Bridge are there to disuade the English from crossing. It doesn't seem to be working !

Archived