french tolls

audgreen

heading for morocco in a couple of days, and whilst I wish to get somewhere warm, very quick, as a motorhomer I intend to enjoy the trip there as well as being there. now im not taking sides , but according to both the RAC and AA, the difference is only 4 hours more for non toll roads as opposed to toll roads. take your choice.

personally I find the toll roads boring, quite expensive, and apparently not much faster than the n roads.

brings to mind the A1 as opposed to the M1. yes, I know, neither are toll roads!!!!! :-D

matbe see some of you somewhere sunny, soon (lol)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough
Rayjsj - 2013-12-23 9:53 PM

I do wish the contributers on this thread would stop saying that Motorways in Britain are Free !! we have ALL paid a small fortune for them over the years, they have NEVER been free.

I am an 'Anti-Toll' person, and a 'non-repentant' awkward so and so, so I hate the idea of 'Toll Roads'

You're quite right and I apologise. In future I shall say: 'British motorways which, unlike French ones, do not have toll charges but cannot be considered free as we have paid for them in our taxes, unless of course you're a youngish person who's not paid any taxes or a very low-paid worker who pays virtually nothing or are unemployed and don't pay any taxes at all, in which case they really are free.'

Then again, I may just shorten it and say 'free' which easily distinguishes our motorways from many Continental ones which have extra toll charges.

Guest Had Enough
KeithR - 2013-12-23 10:38 PM

heading for morocco in a couple of days, and whilst I wish to get somewhere warm, very quick, as a motorhomer I intend to enjoy the trip there as well as being there. now im not taking sides , but according to both the RAC and AA, the difference is only 4 hours more for non toll roads as opposed to toll roads. take your choice.

personally I find the toll roads boring, quite expensive, and apparently not much faster than the n roads.

brings to mind the A1 as opposed to the M1. yes, I know, neither are toll roads!!!!! :-D

matbe see some of you somewhere sunny, soon (lol)

You're in for a bit of a shock! First of all you find toll roads boring, which suggests that you find all motorways boring as there's no difference between a toll motorway and the non-toll ones.

From Calais to Barcelona avoiding motorways will be an extra day at the very least and probably two. And these mapping applications assume a perfect journey, with no traffic jams and other hold ups, which are much more likely on N and A routes.

On a motorway you can easily cruise at 60 mph and if you drive from 0900 to 2000 as we do that's nine hours of driving and two hours for breaks. That means you can cover over 500 miles without any problem. It's relaxing and stress free and you can listen to music and watch the scenery far more easily than when negotiating the twists and turns of non-motorway roads.

I reckon the about 250 miles is the most we can put up with when not using tolls, so do the sums!

The safest roads with the lowest accident rates are motorways, so that should tell you something about wandering along the non-motorway roads.

If you have lots of time and don't like paying tolls that's fine but please don't think that by avoiding motorways you'll only add four hours.

However, I suspect that you'll be using a lot of motorways if they're free, which some are, especially in Spain, whether you find them boring or not! Which once more proves the point that it's all about money, despite everyone's claim about how they hate boring motorways!

How do you get to Dover by the way! ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm not sure what you're saying, should we all be using toll motorways or not. ;-) or doing things your way or not ;-) I can't seem to distinguish the difference. :D or does any of it feckin matter :-S

Oh boy Frank doesn't arf try and push his point of view down peoples throats. As I said earlier in over 5 years of having a Motorhome we have not used a toll road, we did use them when tugging but do not find it necessary with the van. This year went to the South of France OK took us 4 days to get there & 3 to get back so what.

Yes usually we do drive across Kent rather than use the motorway much more pleasant takes ½ hour longed but 20 miles less driving.

lennyhb - 2013-12-24 9:29 AM

Oh boy Frank doesn't arf try and push his point of view down peoples throats. As I said earlier in over 5 years of having a Motorhome we have not used a toll road, we did use them when tugging but do not find it necessary with the van. This year went to the South of France OK took us 4 days to get there & 3 to get back so what.

Yes usually we do drive across Kent rather than use the motorway much more pleasant takes ½ hour longed but 20 miles less driving.

He does Lenny, but he has a point and a good one if you read his original post properly. You do not use toll roads, do not use camp sites, you certainly have a very narrow outlook or as he said just like saving money. Nothing wrong with that, I do, to but am perfectly prepared to spend it if I can afford it and if it suits. Campsites often suit because they are better, toll roads sometimes suit because I want to get somewhere faster. I will do what is best for me at the time and am not constrained by a narrow point of view. You really drive across Kent using back roads, are you mad? (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave

I think driving through Kent is mad which ever way you do it, I just wish they'd move Dover to Aberystwyth. ;-)

But the one New Years resolution I'd love to hear from some on here, is to stop saying they're way is better, and I won't tell you that driving up to Coleshill in the Midlands to visit family from here we NEVER take the motorways, we go via Shrewsbury and then the A5.....................another mad man. ;-)

you can keep your M54/ M6, the Walsall interchange, Spaghetti junction, and the NEC / Airport turns, I have simply spent too much time snarled up in traffic whatever the time of day, is my way better, not necessarily but it's better for us.

Had Enough - 2013-12-23 11:09 PM

I do wish the contributers on this thread would stop saying that Motorways in Britain are Free !! we have ALL paid a small fortune for them over the years, they have NEVER been free.

I am an 'Anti-Toll' person, and a 'non-repentant' awkward so and so, so I hate the idea of 'Toll Roads'

You're quite right and I apologise. In future I shall say: 'British motorways which, unlike French ones, do not have toll charges but cannot be considered free as we have paid for them in our taxes, unless of course you're a youngish person who's not paid any taxes or a very low-paid worker who pays virtually nothing or are unemployed and don't pay any taxes at all.

(and as such probably cannot afford to run a car, let alone a Motorhome ! )

then again, I may just shorten it and say 'free' which easily distinguishes our motorways from many Continental ones which have extra toll charges.

Thankyou, apology accepted. like to get things properly understood. Ray

Guest 1footinthegrave
Rayjsj - 2013-12-24 10:44 AM

You're quite right and I apologise. In future I shall say: 'British motorways which, unlike French ones, do not have toll charges but cannot be considered free as we have paid for them in our taxes, unless of course you're a youngish person who's not paid any taxes or a very low-paid worker who pays virtually nothing or are unemployed and don't pay any taxes at all.

then again, I may just shorten it and say 'free' which easily distinguishes our motorways from many Continental ones which have extra toll charges.

Ray if you think that was an apology you are with the greatest respect living in cloud cuckoo land, or were you being ironic. ?

Guest Had Enough
rupert123 - 2013-12-24 10:00 AM

He does Lenny, but he has a point and a good one if you read his original post properly. You do not use toll roads, do not use camp sites, you certainly have a very narrow outlook or as he said just like saving money. Nothing wrong with that, I do, to but am perfectly prepared to spend it if I can afford it and if it suits. Campsites often suit because they are better, toll roads sometimes suit because I want to get somewhere faster. I will do what is best for me at the time and am not constrained by a narrow point of view. You really drive across Kent using back roads, are you mad? (lol)

Yes, I actually laughed when Lennyhb accused me of pushing my view down people's throats! Kettle, pot and black came to mind!

He obviously hasn't read my posts properly as, if he had, he'd have seen that several times I've stated firmly that I fully understand why some people don't like using tolls and if that's their choice, more power to their elbow.

All I'm trying to do for the OP is to show him that under certain circumstances, such as transiting a country when you've a limited time to spend in your destination country, toll roads make much more sense, but only of course if you can afford it and are happy to pay. My proposed trip to Sicily is a perfect example.

But what I find dishonest and hypocritical is the constant propaganda from those who don't use tolls for one reason, and one reason only, which is to avoid spending money. They constantly bang on about motorways being boring but use them to get to Dover and use them in France if they're free!

And what they can't get into their heads is that we're not all fully retired and that we have a limited time for our trips.

They talk about the pleasure of driving through rural France as though it's a big adventure instead of the mind-numbing tedium that it can often be. Just once I'd like to see one of them write:

'Yes, driving through France on non-motorway roads can be tedious and boring and hard work, what with traffic jams, interminable roundabouts, flat boring scenery, large tracts of industrial areas and towns that are one big traffic jam. But I do it because I don't want to spend money on tolls.'

At least that would be honest!

But once more, if I'm touring a region of France, say the Midi, I don't use motorways either and prefer the minor roads and the villages. But to get to the Midi I don't want three boring days driving through regions of France that I've driven through ten times in the past.

And once more again, I'm not ramming my views down anyone's throats, others can do what they like and good luck to them. All I'm trying to do is put another point of view and, for example, explain to the member who thinks that not using motorways from Calais to Barcelona will only take an extra four hours when it's more likely to be two days!

Finally, if you're bored with this, it's better to just keep away rather than personalising it with attacks on those who are continuing the debate. Paradoxically, the personal attacks are from a couple who are famous for their one-sided views!

One of the reasons We like using the N roads and some of the D roads . You are able to see some of the older buildings of France, a little bit of their way of life, what small villages are like compared to the ones in the UK, stop at the local street Markets for fresh Fruit and veg , stop on the Village Car Park and look around the shops, I don't just go to France to find a beach and set up camp We like to see as much of the True France as we can, Were retired so we can take our time and see what France has to offer,  But I have no Quarrel with those who wish to head straight for a Destination as quickly and as Directly as possible, were all Different as Tracker say,    Safe Journeys.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Had Enough - 2013-12-24 12:05 PM

Yes, I actually laughed when Lennyhb accused me of pushing my view down people's throats! Kettle, pot and black came to mind!

He obviously hasn't read my posts properly as, if he had, he'd have seen that several times I've stated firmly that I fully understand why some people don't like using tolls and if that's their choice, more power to their elbow.

All I'm trying to do for the OP is to show him that under certain circumstances, such as transiting a country when you've a limited time to spend in your destination country, toll roads make much more sense, but only of course if you can afford it and are happy to pay. My proposed trip to Sicily is a perfect example.

But what I find dishonest and hypocritical is the constant propaganda from those who don't use tolls for one reason, and one reason only, which is to avoid spending money. They constantly bang on about motorways being boring but use them to get to Dover and use them in France if they're free!

And what they can't get into their heads is that we're not all fully retired and that we have a limited time for our trips.

They talk about the pleasure of driving through rural France as though it's a big adventure instead of the mind-numbing tedium that it can often be. Just once I'd like to see one of them write:

'Yes, driving through France on non-motorway roads can be tedious and boring and hard work, what with traffic jams, interminable roundabouts, flat boring scenery, large tracts of industrial areas and towns that are one big traffic jam. But I do it because I don't want to spend money on tolls.'

At least that would be honest!

But once more, if I'm touring a region of France, say the Midi, I don't use motorways either and prefer the minor roads and the villages. But to get to the Midi I don't want three boring days driving through regions of France that I've driven through ten times in the past.

And once more again, I'm not ramming my views down anyone's throats, others can do what they like and good luck to them. All I'm trying to do is put another point of view and, for example, explain to the member who thinks that not using motorways from Calais to Barcelona will only take an extra four hours when it's more likely to be two days!

Finally, if you're bored with this, it's better to just keep away rather than personalising it with attacks on those who are continuing the debate. Paradoxically, the personal attacks are from a couple who are famous for their one-sided views!

Perhaps we should all read the OPs post again, it is.............

"We are finally retired and will shortly be starting our travels. We wondered if the toll roads in France charge HGV prices if like us you are over 3 1/2 tons"

My answer is probably, but you'll soon find out for sure,if and when you do, then you've got options like everyone else :D not that it matters, but we rarely do, because like you we are retired and we aint in no rush to get anywhere once over the water, and no rush to get back either, ;-) if you are in a rush though, it's without doubt the best option to use the peage.

There you go again Henry, when have I ever said I don't use camp site all I have ever said about camp sites is I do no like or use CC as I have always had bad experiences of them & when in France in September the areas we go to the sites are closed so we do not have a choice.

No I am not mad as you suggest driving across Kent is 20 miles shorter go through very nice villages and the roads if you know the best way and do not follow your satnav are very good with hardly any traffic also means we can stop off and visit relatives on the way.

lennyhb - 2013-12-24 2:24 PM

There you go again Henry, when have I ever said I don't use camp site all I have ever said about camp sites is I do no like or use CC as I have always had bad experiences of them & when in France in September the areas we go to the sites are closed so we do not have a choice.

No I am not mad as you suggest driving across Kent is 20 miles shorter go through very nice villages and the roads if you know the best way and do not follow your satnav are very good with hardly any traffic also means we can stop off and visit relatives on the way.

Sorry Lenny must be mixing you up with someone else I will have to go back over posts and check again. I know Kent very well, lived there fifteen years, Medway towns, my wife born there and most of her relatives still live there so visit often. You are mad, it takes an hour to drive from Thames crossing to Dover by M2 or M20 and half a day by minor roads.

Billggski - 2013-12-24 3:17 PM

Yawn.........

When a simple question about weight limits on toll roads creates so much hot air.

Welcome to the forum.

And happy Christmas to you all.

Yes indeed but it is so typical of the usual egotists ever present on any forum to repeatedly ram their own perceptions down everyone else's throat rather than answer a simple question when it is asked.

Happy travels to one and all for 2014!

rupert123 - 2013-12-24 3:59 PM

lennyhb - 2013-12-24 2:24 PM

Sorry Lenny must be mixing you up with someone else I will have to go back over posts and check again. I know Kent very well, lived there fifteen years, Medway towns, my wife born there and most of her relatives still live there so visit often. You are mad, it takes an hour to drive from Thames crossing to Dover by M2 or M20 and half a day by minor roads.

Are but I live on the south coast so I have to drive 40 miles north to get on the M25 it is still quicker I will admit but what's the point unless I am late for the ferry which does happen more times than I would like to admit. Takes 2 hr via M25, 2½ across country and much more pleasant.

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-24 10:56 AM

Rayjsj - 2013-12-24 10:44 AM

Ray if you think that was an apology you are with the greatest respect living in cloud cuckoo land, or were you being ironic. ?

Aaaah, Irony, yes, and all the Cuckoos have flown back to Africa (or wherever they live in the Winter).

A Merry Christmas , and Bless us, Every One. ;-) Ray

You're in for a bit of a shock! First of all you find toll roads boring, which suggests that you find all motorways boring as there's no difference between a toll motorway and the non-toll ones.

From Calais to Barcelona avoiding motorways will be an extra day at the very least and probably two. And these mapping applications assume a perfect journey, with no traffic jams and other hold ups, which are much more likely on N and A routes.

On a motorway you can easily cruise at 60 mph and if you drive from 0900 to 2000 as we do that's nine hours of driving and two hours for breaks. That means you can cover over 500 miles without any problem. It's relaxing and stress free and you can listen to music and watch the scenery far more easily than when negotiating the twists and turns of non-motorway roads.

I reckon the about 250 miles is the most we can put up with when not using tolls, so do the sums!

The safest roads with the lowest accident rates are motorways, so that should tell you something about wandering along the non-motorway roads.

If you have lots of time and don't like paying tolls that's fine but please don't think that by avoiding motorways you'll only add four hours.

However, I suspect that you'll be using a lot of motorways if they're free, which some are, especially in Spain, whether you find them boring or not! Which once more proves the point that it's all about money, despite everyone's claim about how they hate boring motorways!

How do you get to Dover by the way!

you are correct, I find all motorways(and some other roads) boring. nothing to do with tolls. and yes, the assumption is for a perfect journey (also with motorways, not allowing for the stopping for toll booths!))

I have to admit I don't cruise at 60mph (97 kph), I have a rather heavy foot!! and certainly don't drive from 0900 to 2000, more 1000 to 1600 (I still have the ability to relax, listen to music, and watch the better scenery, etc) . ive never ( knowingly) used a motorway in spain, toll or not.

from alnwick to dover there is only one way south, first, A1 then a choice of A1 or M1. with the A1 being the most direct route. nothing to do with tolls, choice or scenic preference. All boring 8-) 8-)

if you knew how long it took me to type this lot out on my 'puter, you'd applaud (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Merry Christmas Audrey,

You asked specifically about Toll Roads and we appear to have been involved in a battle about to used or not which is totally irrelevant as it is everybody to their own.

It appears you have not used the toll roads and although I have very limited use of them, as I prefer the alternatives, the following might be of assistance and hopefully others can add with their experience.

1 Be prepared. I have found that more and more payments are being requested by credit card. I got myself a Halifax card which has no charges and I found an excellent exchange rate. However it initially was rejected by all the machines I attempted to use. A telephone call to the CC centre resulted in me advising them where and when I was going abroad. So lesson here is to call your credit card company and tell them in advance.

2 Euros If you can, get some coin as it can make life easy at toll booths. In addition if you are really stuck you can sometimes get a local to use their CC card and you just pay them.

3. Toll Stations. Going south the first one we met was at Boulonge which issued a ticket only. Keep to the far right lane and there are ticket issuing machines both sides so the driver or passenger can operate. By chance there were gendarmes at this booth when we went through and having read a posting where it is alleged that the passenger was booked for not wearing seat belt as they moved off, ensure you are belted in. True or story???

4. The toll roads are an easy drive and tend to be very quite. Unfortunately I have it found it difficult to actually plan ahead to establish what the toll charges will be resulting in me taking the alternative routes and apart from that we are retired like yourself and have all the time in the world.

We used the toll road this year from Boulonge to Rouen as our timing was all wrong, held up by industrial action at Calais and last time getting seriously lost going through Etables. Otherwise only other toll was due to the route we used to get round Rouen and it was less than €3.

France and Spain are very easy to drive through by whatever route so just do not worry and go and enjoy :-D :-D

If you want to route-plan and use autoroutes, the best bet is probably to use the MAPPY website

http://en.mappy.com/itinerary_homepage

This allows vehicle details (eg. weight and number of axles) to be specified. (Motorhomes up to 3500kg GVW and below 3 metres high will fall into Category 2. To obtain the Category 2 toll-charges, select the "Van" option.

For an example, try a trip from Calais to Annecy.

Archived