french tolls

audgreen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sshortcircuit - 2013-12-25 2:01 PM

...Unfortunately giving it a complete route just gives a total toll charge...

The toll-fees total is provided in the Route Summary box, but the individual charges are shown within the routing directions.

Taking the Calais-Annecy example and a "Van" vehicle, the total autoroute toll-fee for the trip is given as €113.40. The route directions show that figure involves three charges - €32.20, €75.30 and €5.90 (Roadbook sections 11, 19 and 21)

If the original poster (Audgreen) is still reading this, one thing I do when planning a section of the trip is get the sat nav to work out the time and distance using Toll Roads and then the time and distance using none toll roads. Sometimes there is a big difference but often not. Then I make a decision.

The first few hundred miles of France are pretty dull whichever option you take to be honest.

Im not keen on long drives but luckily our trips are measured in months not weeks. It took us over a week to get to Jura this year and its only about 400 miles from Calais.

On the subject of motorhome Aires. All the reports of problems tend to be on these rather than village aires. I dont worry about being the only van as I AM the Bogey Man! (lol)

Have a cracking time however you get there.

Thanks Derek for pointing me in the right direction. A major failing of mine in not reading correctly.

I do ask how up to date the toll charges are? As an example I chose Bordeaux to Bayonne and it shows a toll charge of €3 which I suspect is incorrect.

I also noted that on a route from Calais to Bayonne in some instances not all toll charges followed the issue of a ticket, but to be fair the sums involved were all €2 to €3. If I remember correctly after bypassing Rouen I paid €3.10 cents at a manned toll, which is another reason for carrying loose change.

Hi all. Audrey and John here. Thanks for the debate, all though did seem to go off track somewhat!!!! We are in no hurry whatsoever and plan to drive or stop at will. I think it's going to be a case of taking it a day at a time but possibly doing the 3 euro toll round Rouen. We are planning to be away for approx. 5 months and are only booked in at one site at the end of March. Returning for the van (and John's) mot in July/August. Will keep checking for yet more "interesting" tips

sshortcircuit - 2013-12-26 10:00 PM

Thanks Derek for pointing me in the right direction. A major failing of mine in not reading correctly.

I do ask how up to date the toll charges are? As an example I chose Bordeaux to Bayonne and it shows a toll charge of €3 which I suspect is incorrect.

I also noted that on a route from Calais to Bayonne in some instances not all toll charges followed the issue of a ticket, but to be fair the sums involved were all €2 to €3. If I remember correctly after bypassing Rouen I paid €3.10 cents at a manned toll, which is another reason for carrying loose change.

According to the Mappy website, the Category 1 (eg. a car) autoroute charge for a Bordeaux-Bayonne trip would be €3.30 relating to the 32km stretch of the A63 north of Bayonne.

As I said in an earlier posting in this thread, Mappy allows the vehicle 'type' to be specified and, to obtain the Category 2 tarif (eg. for motorhomes up to 3500kg GVW and below 3 metres high) the "Van" option should be selected. Doing this increases the charge from €3.30 to €5.20

Tarifs for Categories/autoroutes can be obtained from here:

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/key-rates.htm

I've checked the Category 2 tarif for the north-of-Bayonne section of the A63 and it matches the €5.20 charge given by Mappy.

(The Category 3 and Category 4 charges would be €7.50 and €9.90 respectively.)

Mappy produces a Category 2 overall toll-charge of €120.10 for a Calais-Bayonne journey. Obviously, if a driver chooses to 'optimise' a journey (as you may have been doing regarding Rouen) so that the route taken differs from Mappy's directions, the total and individual toll-charges may well change.

Hi All,

I would warn anybody with a Sat-Nav that you can pre-select " NO TOLLS " or "AVOID TOLLS" not to automatically select and think all is fine. We did this on our last holiday around Chamonix and that area only to find ourselves on a horrendous track taking us over a mountain with no points to turn back. I have driven on all rods for many years and it was terrifying. The reason being was that the "NO TOLLS" did just that and included Tunnel Tolls, so whilst we did not wish to pay motorway tolls for the sake of it we would obviously have preferred the tunnel to the alternative.

Moral is to plan your route carefully when avoiding Tolls.We will from now on.

cheers and best wishes

derek

Unfortunately Derek not convinced. As we will be coming home via Somport tried to get motorway cost and found following both, for simplicity, based on a car with caravan

Mappy €4.90 216 km

Sanef €29.50 205 km

Tried your link but for some reason fell over with Error 404

Appears a slightly different route but just a huge difference. Afraid confidence factor still very low which results in non use of motorway.

Edit. Does not make sense. Pau to Bordeaux

audgreen - 2013-12-22 9:04 PM

many thanks for info. thought as first time driving on "wrong side!" we might find it easier but agree we are in no rush so off piste it is then.!! We are leaving sometime end January to L'estartit Spain then later to Benicarlo. Again thanks. We had intended to leave in March, Then it was Feb now Jan, Hey Ho and away we go

Let's try a different tack. :-)

Assuming Calais to l'Estartit is the route, the best ploy, IMO, is Calais to Boulogne via toll free A16. Boulogne to Abbeville continuing on A16 (toll) or, D240, D901, D1001 via Samer/Montreuil. Abbeville to Rouen via toll free A28. Rouen to Chartres via D6015, D6154, A154 (toll free), N154. Chartres to Orleans via N154, D954, D2020. Orleans to Clermont-Ferrand via A71 (toll), (or whatever stretches appeal) or, D907, A77 (toll free), N7, D2009, via Nevers and Moulins. Clermont-Ferrand to Beziers via toll free A75 (except toll for Millau viaduct). Beziers to Le Perthus via A9 (toll) or D612, D609, D6009, D900. Le Perthus to Figures via AP-7 (toll), or N-11. Figures to l'Estartit via C-31/C-31a to Verges, and then C31/GI-641. Choices, choices! :-)

If you want fast, use the autoroutes. If you don't, use D roads wherever possible. If you want cheap, avoid the toll roads. If you want fastish and cheapish, string the non-toll autoroutes together using the fastest looking N/D roads, but be prepared for a bit more traffic.

Most of the N (Nationale, our A roads) roads have now been hived off the the Departments, and have been re-numbered D (Departmentale) something or other. In places the old N7 is now the DN7, for example.

Generally, because of the tolls, where the N / Ex N roads parallel the autoroutes they carry heavy traffic, though many are dual carriageway. Where the older N roads parallel sections of non-toll autoroute, they carry much lighter traffic, though many are also dualled. These can be very good.

So, for driving pleasure, IMO, keep this in mind and switch which kinds of roads you use to avoid traffic, using bits of autoroute (toll or non-toll), to get around the larger towns. If you use the Michelin 1:300,000 Atlas to fine-tune your route, select the yellow roads, and you will find yoursleves slipping through France on near empty roads with (generally) excellent surfaces for mile after mile. Yes, lots of roundabouts around the towns, but lots of open countryside between them, and towns in most of France don't come thick and fast as in UK.

Personally, I would not use the dual carriageway roads to avoid learning to drive on the right, but would prioritise these yellow, "D" roads, for three days or so early on, probably once away from the North East corner. Say once south of the Seine, definitely once south of the Loire. Once off the main drags between the major towns and cities, there is just so little traffic that driving is a pleasure, and these roads provide a very gentle school in which to acclimatise to right-hand traffic. Just remember to be on your guard after any stops, whether for food, fuel, or the night. That seems to be when most give themselves a fright by forgetting! :-) Oh, and watch your speed, the French fuzz hide to zap you!

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2013-12-24 12:05 PM

And what they can't get into their heads is that we're not all fully retired and that we have a limited time for our trips.

I know what you mean Frank *-)..................I have a horrible feeling I might have some work to do soon :'(........but I'm hopping I can put it off til March :-S..............

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2013-12-27 6:35 PM

audgreen - 2013-12-22 9:04 PM

many thanks for info. thought as first time driving on "wrong side!" we might find it easier but agree we are in no rush so off piste it is then.!! We are leaving sometime end January to L'estartit Spain then later to Benicarlo. Again thanks. We had intended to leave in March, Then it was Feb now Jan, Hey Ho and away we go

Let's try a different tack. :-)

Assuming Calais to l'Estartit is the route, the best ploy, IMO, is Calais to Boulogne via toll free A16. Boulogne to Abbeville continuing on A16 (toll) or, D240, D901, D1001 via Samer/Montreuil. Abbeville to Rouen via toll free A28. Rouen to Chartres via D6015, D6154, A154 (toll free), N154. Chartres to Orleans via N154, D954, D2020. Orleans to Clermont-Ferrand via A71 (toll), (or whatever stretches appeal) or, D907, A77 (toll free), N7, D2009, via Nevers and Moulins. Clermont-Ferrand to Beziers via toll free A75 (except toll for Millau viaduct). Beziers to Le Perthus via A9 (toll) or D612, D609, D6009, D900. Le Perthus to Figures via AP-7 (toll), or N-11. Figures to l'Estartit via C-31/C-31a to Verges, and then C31/GI-641. Choices, choices! :-)

If you want fast, use the autoroutes. If you don't, use D roads wherever possible. If you want cheap, avoid the toll roads. If you want fastish and cheapish, string the non-toll autoroutes together using the fastest looking N/D roads, but be prepared for a bit more traffic.

Most of the N (Nationale, our A roads) roads have now been hived off the the Departments, and have been re-numbered D (Departmentale) something or other. In places the old N7 is now the DN7, for example.

Generally, because of the tolls, where the N / Ex N roads parallel the autoroutes they carry heavy traffic, though many are dual carriageway. Where the older N roads parallel sections of non-toll autoroute, they carry much lighter traffic, though many are also dualled. These can be very good.

So, for driving pleasure, IMO, keep this in mind and switch which kinds of roads you use to avoid traffic, using bits of autoroute (toll or non-toll), to get around the larger towns. If you use the Michelin 1:300,000 Atlas to fine-tune your route, select the yellow roads, and you will find yoursleves slipping through France on near empty roads with (generally) excellent surfaces for mile after mile. Yes, lots of roundabouts around the towns, but lots of open countryside between them, and towns in most of France don't come thick and fast as in UK.

Personally, I would not use the dual carriageway roads to avoid learning to drive on the right, but would prioritise these yellow, "D" roads, for three days or so early on, probably once away from the North East corner. Say once south of the Seine, definitely once south of the Loire. Once off the main drags between the major towns and cities, there is just so little traffic that driving is a pleasure, and these roads provide a very gentle school in which to acclimatise to right-hand traffic. Just remember to be on your guard after any stops, whether for food, fuel, or the night. That seems to be when most give themselves a fright by forgetting! :-) Oh, and watch your speed, the French fuzz hide to zap you!

I think in the real world most people just set their satnav, the only proviso being toll or non toll,

and I'm sorry, but you really have a habit of overly complicating pretty much every subject under the sun, ( ( like the Burstner roof thread ) or simply giving too much information, don't you ever see that ? I mean do you really think a newby would follow your "alternative tack" route suggestion above,trying to keep one eye on the traffic, and one eye on the sometimes less than helpful French sign age, and a third eye on the scribbled notes made from your post, I don't think so.

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-27 10:02 PM

and I'm sorry.............

....and I'm sorry too, I suspect much more sincerely than you, as I usually can't be drawn to make such comments, but sometimes things just have to be said.

Your continued sniping at everyone in general, and more particularly at Brian's attempts at genuinely helpful responses, are getting up my (and I suspect most other people's) nose. You are, IMO, almost single-handedly destroying this forum.

You are, sir, a prize a*sehole! (is that succinct enough for you?)

Merry Christmas and a Happy (and stress-free) New Year.

:-|

Robinhood - 2013-12-27 10:21 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-27 10:02 PM

and I'm sorry.............

....and I'm sorry too, I suspect much more sincerely than you, as I usually can't be drawn to make such comments, but sometimes things just have to be said.

Your continued sniping at everyone in general, and more particularly at Brian's attempts at genuinely helpful responses, are getting up my (and I suspect most other people's) nose. You are, IMO, almost single-handedly destroying this forum.

You are, sir, a prize a*sehole! (is that succinct enough for you?)

Merry Christmas and a Happy (and stress-free) New Year.

:-|

Totally agree Robin, and it has to be said there are also others who are joining in and doing their utmost to ruin it.

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-27 10:02 PM...................I think in the real world most people just set their satnav, the only proviso being toll or non toll, ...............

Which was exactly my point. The different tack I was trying to get to, was to bring to an end the endlessly unhelpful quarreling over whether toll, or not-toll, roads are "best" for the OP, and to try instead to illustrate actual, potential, alternative routes the OP could follow. The point is surely clear enough? There are many ways to cross any country, we all have our preferences as to what roads to follow. There is no "one size fits all" BEST way to travel. Decide how you wish to travel, and then select routes accordingly.

My starting point is that members of this forum, novices or not, are sufficiently intelligent to take from a post what they want, and quietly leave the rest aside. Others may take more, or nothing. It doesn't really matter, IMO, so long as someone goes away having picked up something useful to them.

The part routes I described are all part routes I have used: I am not theorising. What I described is what I do, and have always done, when planning routes. I find it works well for us. I do not find merely setting a sat-nav to avoid tolls, or not, yields satisfactory routes. I put in waypoints to guide the machine to go MY preferred way. Once you learn to drive the sat-nav properly, this is not complicated, as you seem to think it must be. It is no different to marking-up a map, or writing a strip route, before leaving. But, as ever, each to their own.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I think a major leap forward on these forums would be people answering any OPs question directly.

It's a bit like being stopped in the street being asked where Tesco's is, then spending ten minutes giving them all the reasons they should be going to Aldi's instead, with a back up plan of Morrisons if they get lost on the way.

The OP asked about toll road charges for his particular size of vehicle, and here's the thing, I for one cannot remember that simple question being answered yet, if it has been it's been buried in all the usual waffle. ;-)

Anyone care to have a go at it again, a simple yes / no would be a start.

" We wondered if the toll roads in France charge HGV prices if like us you are over 3 1/2 tons."

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-28 5:03 AM

I think a major leap forward on these forums would be people answering any OPs question directly.

It's a bit like being stopped in the street being asked where Tesco's is, then spending ten minutes giving them all the reasons they should be going to Aldi's instead, with a back up plan of Morrisons if they get lost on the way.

The OP asked about toll road charges for his particular size of vehicle, and here's the thing, I for one cannot remember that simple question being answered yet, if it has been it's been buried in all the usual waffle. ;-)

" We wondered if the toll roads in France charge HGV prices if like us you are over 3 1/2 tons."

I suggest my posting of 23 December 2013 8:28 AM on Page 1 of this thread answered that question adequately. Both the links I provided in that posting clearly show that the French autoroute Category 3 classification into which audgreen's Bessacarr motorhome will fall relates to HGVs/buses.

I agree wholeheartedly with Robinhood's comments yesterday. Whenever you have a problem yourself, you are perfectly happy to ask for advice from this forum. Very occasionally you can bring yourself to be helpful and polite, but most of the time your postings are unkind, confrontational and disruptive. The abrasive 'style' you've developed - you didn't post in this way when you joined this forum - is bound to offend and I can't believe you are unaware of this. This would be a much more pleasant forum if you chose not to participate in it.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-28 8:15 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-28 5:03 AM

I suggest my posting of 23 December 2013 8:28 AM on Page 1 of this thread answered that question adequately. Both the links I provided in that posting clearly show that the French autoroute Category 3 classification into which audgreen's Bessacarr motorhome will fall relates to HGVs/buses.

I agree wholeheartedly with Robinhood's comments yesterday. Whenever you have a problem yourself, you are perfectly happy to ask for advice from this forum. Very occasionally you can bring yourself to be helpful and polite, but most of the time your postings are unkind, confrontational and disruptive. The abrasive 'style' you've developed - you didn't post in this way when you joined this forum - is bound to offend and I can't believe you are unaware of this. This would be a much more pleasant forum if you chose not to participate in it.

Yes Derek, your post of the 23rd did answer the question adequately, which was the point I was making.

As for my "abrasive style" if that means confronting as I see it some massive egos ( not that I put you in that category ) and equally abrasive contributors, then guilty as charged.It's quite simple really, dish out abuse and ridicule and it's likely to be returned, is that unique to me on here, I don't think so, do you. ?

But I do take on board your comments, as I do have a great regard for your contributions and will attempt to avoid commenting on the many inane contributions and contributors in future from the usual ( mainly ) four suspects, and the occasional dyslexic troll. ;-)

A few other tips that may help the OP

1. May have been mentioned, but in poor visibility the speed limit reduces on motorways.

Not motorway and I stand to be shot down in flames

2.. When stopping at a junction, count to three before moving off and look about you.

3. I find this difficult to understand but see the logic in that in built up areas traffic coming on to the main road has right of way. I have noted in villages that I passed through the majority of side roads have a line and a white post indicating stop so it appears to have changed. We were caught out in Boulogne when a car came off a side road and shot in front of us.

Will be others.

Enjoy :-D

sshortcircuit - 2013-12-28 10:05 AM

3. I find this difficult to understand but see the logic in that in built up areas traffic coming on to the main road has right of way. I have noted in villages that I passed through the majority of side roads have a line and a white post indicating stop so it appears to have changed. We were caught out in Boulogne when a car came off a side road and shot in front of us.

Will be others.

Enjoy :-D

The priorite a droite laws are the ones you describe in 3) above. You can usually tell if a town or village has them. If the village/town sign has a yellow diamond above the name sign, then you have right of way on the main road.

If however it has a yellow diamond with a black line through it, cars coming from the right have priority (as you describe)

This link describes it well enough http://wikitravel.org/en/Driving_in_France

1622411774_Panneau_priorit.gif.34b7062acc61e488e9feff0e43188676.gif

1471790832_Panneau_fin_de_priorit.gif.82b17ef1a3129e6191252caee5df92e6.gif

To the original poster, I have not read all the previous posts so may be a repeat here but you can travel France very easily and NOT use tollroads as many Motorwatys are toll free and easy to travel on as are their N Roads.Just tell your Sat Nav to avoid toll roads assuming you in fact have a Sat. Nav.who doesn,t these days.

Archived