But does thingimibob stink the house out ???

Pampam

Yes I do eat oven chips in fact I prefer "slimming world"chips but my daughter asked me to ask on this forum as she was thinking of buying one for herself and has heard me mention one or two things that I have read on here so I put it on the forum last night and got a couple of helpfull replies but then she asked "did you ask if it made the house smell? Soo back on the forum tonight to ask if it makes the house smell? And thankfully it appears that it doesn't ..... I think it's the teaspoon of oil that appeals to her plus her friend has one and keeps singing its praises.so whether its an appliance that will be used or goes in the cupboard never to see the light of day remains to be seen: my husband used to do the best chips ..... Double fried in dripping ....yes the house stunk ! we got rid of frier a few years ago now pp:)

I've got to give my daughter credit in that she is a foodie she cooks currys chillis etc all from scratch did a fantastic Xmas lunch nothing is too much trouble !and she lives alone and still does it : plus she loves eating out and can tell you what's on the menu in almost any restaurant for miles around and is still petite:whereas I cannot be bothered anymore.........and am def not petite haha....it skipped a generation my dads a foodie winey I think it's the 40 years of cooking for a family that's made me indifferent to cuisine.quick is good cheese on toast or sandwich etc pp

Pam...

I just wonder if an "ordinary" halogen oven, with the appropriate "attachment"/tray/trivet, would do the job?

(...if it could, it'd be more versatile).

We haven't got either of them, so have no first hand experience...

(..we've toyed with the idea of a halogen oven...but I was of the option that it'd just spend it's time in the cupboard with the rest of the "must have" gadgets....)

Oh!..and Happy New Year all! ;-)

We bought a halogen oven for use in the c'van and now have a bigger one for use at home as well, such is the usefulness of them.

The do oven chips really well - and as for baked potatoes!!!!!!!!! - A halgen oven does them better than any other method. Crisp on the outside and fantastically cooked all through.

We have done a full roast dinner in the smaller one in the awning! - fantastic bits of kit.

Both of ours came from Robert Dyas for less than £30 when they had special offers on. It is a real shame if some who buy them leave them unused - they are so cheap to use energy wise compared to a conventional oven, and cook as well if not better,

My favourite halogen oven meal? - Baked Potato and Baked Sausage. Superb.

We havent had a fat fryer for years ! I hated cleaning the blessed thing + as you get older you should stay away from fried stuff. And the Hallogen oven is great, my microwave packed in after 3 years so I thought I would try one of these :-) yes it does take longer than a microwave but it is quicker than the conventional oven, we bought one off Amazon £54 instead of 74 Im very pleased with it ! and yes it does do oven chips and potatoes wedges just tossed in olive oil and spread on the tray provided. :-D

Pampam - 2013-12-31 9:08 PM

I like the sound of "cheap to run" although I don't really know what "halogen" is? I have got a remoska which we use in van it has heat in the lid and is very handy on electric hook up: happy new year to one and all pp:)

Halogen elements give out an intense orange light and heat. You see them in those very good and cheap room heaters. Even 400 watts gives out a lot of heat.

Archived