Do thieves prefer a well lit area to work in??

Pampam

I was wondering what others on the forum think is the best preventative measure to deter burglars and prowlers? I prefer to have my house and drive lit and across the lawn in fact everywhere is lit either subduedly or bright enough to see:the idea being if I'm in house (in the dark)if anyone mooching about I can look out and see them but they can't see me and if I'm out of house I always have the odd lamp on a timer with these dark nights: a bungalow near me (they back on to side of ours)has had a couple of instances of attempted break ins).however the other night my husband came home and said there's no wonder they have had attempted break ins their place is in complete darkness. On the other side our neighbour has electric gates ,dogs and a voice that tells you to smile at the camera . Etc. what do you forum members think? (I've probably just tempted fate and will get done over tonight )lol :) pp

There's two sides to it. If it's pitch dark, the perps can't see anything at all so could be put off. On the other hand they might also be put off if it's well lit, or they might see that as an advantage. So you can't really tell. PIR security lights could help in deterring, as they come on suddenly and could startle them into having it on their toes. Of course you could frighten the crap out of them with some of these.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_44_47&products_id=2964 :D

On the other hand a lot of thieves are quite happy to work in bright daylight. Bankers, MP's, Lawyers, and of course a lot of those working the square mile in London. :D

Having plodded the beat for the odd decade or two I have poked my nose into a lot of premises with movement sensing lights.

Most people put it down to cats and take no notice. A burglar with half a brain triggers the lights and steps back into the shadows, if no interior lights come on after a couple of triggers its probably safe to proceed with the lights to help.

To deter a burglar the interior lights need to come on after say a minutes delay giving the impression someone is awake. A real dog or recording of one barking helps.

I keep threatening to design a bit of kit that twitches the curtains as well

I like that idea I had a similar one myself but that was a cheese wire at neck height but my husband persuaded me that perhaps it wasn't such a good idea that was a few years ago when someone tried to get in the garage .i think if the garage door hadn't made such a racket they would have had equipment from it.they smashed the back of a van on the drive and took a chop saw (SOMEONE hadn't locked the garage)after that we got plenty of lights fitted and double locks on garage AND make sure it's locked but when something like that happens you get all territorial and security conscious :well I did. Hence lots of lights:pp

Yes someone ought to have a sensor to put interior light on when movement outside I was going to spray about 20tin cans black drill a hole through top and tie loosely together with fishing wire and put in a strategic position with fishing wire trip wire so lots of tangled up racket in dark which I can now do cos all kids have left home and there's no one coming in late from pub that would be tripped up!pp:)

Many years ago - a friend who was a bit of a techy nut and general bodger and worked a lot of nights made up a system to automatically close his curtains at dusk and open them again at daybreak.

What he failed to take into account was that he lived on a main road and when he 1st installed his system it closed the curtains at dusk and then proceeded to open them and close again with each passing car head light. Doh!

I like the cheese wire at neck height idea - illegal though more's the pity!

I have fitted an old solar panel (which although it works was a bit tired) on our summer house roof. Inside the summer house are a couple of old leisure batteries ( again they work but were taken off the 'van when they appeared to be getting a bit tired) this lot is hooked up to a 12v dawn to dusk sensor and a length of sticky backed LEDs which are taped under the eaves of the summer house - They light up the whole garden and hopefully keep the light fingered brigade away. The dawn to dusk also turns on a flashing red LED.

George Collings - 2013-12-28 11:06 PM

Having plodded the beat ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

...................... A real dog or recording of one barking helps.

Apologies for the obvious contextual manipulation George! :-D

But - from experience - we can definitely confirm a real dog puts the toe-rags off. I would also suggest a trip to the garden centre to select the most sharp thorned plants available to plant on the boundary.

When it comes to spotting the $hits - watch out for people wandering about with a dog lead - often used as an excuse for being where they shouldn't - "just looking for my dog" - Yeah right!! :-S

Guest Peter James
Frankkia - 2013-12-28 11:40 PM

I like the cheese wire at neck height idea - illegal though more's the pity!

If I did that I think the only person that got caught in it would be me.:$

With regard to house burglars I think we are crediting them with too much intelligence.

The smartest crooks stay on the right side of the law.

If they were smart enough to consider the risk/reward ratio of house burglary they wouldn't do it - they would do something with less risk and more reward. If they are out burgling houses they can't be the full shilling, and are likely to be the sort of scroats who will just go for it, and take a chance on what happens.

Mum and stepdads house was burgled when they were on a weekend away,they simply parked what looked like a removals van on the drive and helped themselves,it was a saturday so people about but the neighbours said they looked like workmen,even saying hi to a couple of folk! They broke in via the poorly secured french windows in daylight but a very secluded back garden.Stepdad turned place into fort knox after!

Its very easy to wire a second light to indoors from tapping into the sensor system - and I'm no electrician - but the simplest security is good double glazing with lockable opening windows - any smart intruder will know that windows may be locked and prevent escape.

If he's a casual intruder he wants a quick snatch and away so simply stop him getting in by locking all doors so he goes elsewhere.

Friends of ours went out one afternoon for a hospital appointment, all doors windows locked , the alarm on they had left a laptop on display on the dining room table ! the burglars lobbed a rockery rock through the patio doors the alarm went off but by the time the neighbors had realized who's alarm it was >:-( they had made off with the laptop and left the devastation of glass everywhere for a old frail couple to have to sort out on their return.

The moral is use whatever precautions you can, don't leave anything on display but at the end of the day these people that are desperate for drugs !! if they can get in they will .

We have lights/alarms/locking windows and doors dogs and insurance :-S that is all you can do. I dont spend my life worrying or we would never go anywhere or sleep.

• 3 weeks later...
Our motion sensing outdoor lights come on when they detect movement and at the same time ring a buzzer in our bedroom. I bought them from one of the sheds and they did not cost much more than the standard lights. Unfortunately they no longer seem to be on sale but it should be quite simple to wire an indoor mains powered buzzer to the lamp terminals. I do have the buzzers on a time switch to prevent them going off all day. At the same time it would be a good idea to wire them to an small internal light so that this went on as well.

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2014-01-15 10:44 PM

Wot? Another one who can't spell?

Not even their own Nom-de-Plume, it would seem!

A poor show.

C.

Looks like he's Been and gone Colin ;-)..........

Symbol Owner - 2014-01-15 10:44 PM

Wot? Another one who can't spell?

Not even their own Nom-de-Plume, it would seem!

A poor show.

C.

THE correct Nom-de-Plume was taken !!!

and I didn't know we had to sit and English exam to post >:-)

Colin Leake - 2014-01-16 6:54 PM

Our motion sensing outdoor lights come on when they detect movement and at the same time ring a buzzer in our bedroom. I bought them from one of the sheds and they did not cost much more than the standard lights. Unfortunately they no longer seem to be on sale but it should be quite simple to wire an indoor mains powered buzzer to the lamp terminals. I do have the buzzers on a time switch to prevent them going off all day. At the same time it would be a good idea to wire them to an small internal light so that this went on as well.

With the cats around here we wouldn't get any sleep!!

maggyd - 2014-01-18 5:09 PM

Colin Leake - 2014-01-16 6:54 PM

With the cats around here we wouldn't get any sleep!!

You can adjust the sensitivity and alignment so that cats are not detected. Foxes are another matter and occasionally manage to set our off.

Archived