Site bookings when touring

dav7

We are new to touring although we have done a few long weekends and short stays. Next year we are hoping to do some longer trips touring around several areas of the country., e.g. the south west. Our intention is to stay in perhaps one place for two or three nights and then move on to the next area.

My question is, is it better to book all the sites we want to go on, before we leave home, or is it better to book the first site and then book the next one when we are ready to move on?

What do other motorhome owners do?

:-S

dav7 - 2013-12-29 2:18 PM

My question is, is it better to book all the sites we want to go on, before we leave home, or is it better to book the first site and then book the next one when we are ready to move on?

What do other motorhome owners do?

:-S

Depends a bit on the time of year that you are touring.

I've been doing the kind of touring that you are talking about for many years and have never yet booked any sites anywhere _ UK or continental.

From my experience, if you arrive on site early / mid afternoon you will normally get a place.

Bit harder to do that now on CC and CCC club sites at weekends.

Hi Dav7 and Welcome,

When we tour, whether it be on the Continent or the UK we hardly ever book in advance – maybe the first night to give us somewhere to aim for. We would never want to be tied down to a fixed itinerary, as you would be if you booked all of your sites in advance. To us that’s the joy of a motorhome – freedom to do as the mood takes you.

If you want a specific site in an area then of course it would be prudent to book in advance.

Whilst not advocating either of the main clubs one of their advantages is the huge number of basic (and not so basic) sites that they list in their handbooks.

Cattwg :-D

dav7 - 2013-12-29 2:34 PM

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate July and August can be busy, have you found any problems other times of the year, say, Easter, etc.,

If you can avoid bank, and school, holidays, and weekends in popular spots near cities, you should not need to book so long as you arrive soon after lunch. Outside these times, you will find even many popular sites have good availability Sunday night to Thursday night, the less popular almost invariably so. So, you can always sniff out a less popular one for Friday and Saturday nights, or reserve those days for moving on. Both clubs have good on-line booking systems, on which you can see the level of advance bookings way ahead. If you book, you are committed to pay, or have to pay in advance. If you don't like a place when you arrive, and you haven't booked, you move on. Otherwise, you're stuck. Just keep a plan B in case!

dav7 - 2013-12-29 2:34 PM

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate July and August can be busy, have you found any problems other times of the year, say, Easter, etc.,

We regularly holiday in Cornwall, the only time we book is a one week stay in August.

Easter and even spring half term can get a bit busy but never been stuck for finding a pitch.

We've never booked a site abroad - just turn up, as others have suggested. We haven't been turned away yet, but if it happened we would just find somewhere to stay or wild it for a night.

In the UK we usually ring up on the day we are planning to stay, especially with the club sites - that way you can maintain a high level of flexibility and decide when you arrive how long you want to stay. Alternatively, just check in for one night and take it from there, see how you like it and if you want to extend your stay, or check out in the morning.

We toured from Hastings to Poole over 3 weeks in may 2011not booking any sites and had no disapointments. Not booking gives a lot more freedom to stay longer in places you like and shorter if it does not suit your needs,

If you are concerned about not getting in to a particular site phone the site just before you leave the one you are on and check that they have a vacant pitch. Some CL/CS sites in nice locatios can be full due to only taking 5 vans.

Enjoy tour tours.

Archived