Sahara for xmas

knight

Would anybody like to join my wife and me on a trip to the Sahara over the xmas and new year period. I have made four previous trips to the areas to be visited ( admitedly by Land Rover ) But the knowledge gained from these previous trips will be more than useful. If you are interested and would like further information please give me a call on 07866 412061 or e-mail mickjean.knight@virgin.net show subject matter as sahara B-)

Hi Mick and Jean, I hope you don't mind me answering in the open forum rather than E-mail. My wife and I could be interested in "xmas in the Sahara"but what are your expectations of your travelling companions? Regards Terry.

Like RV146......Interested but........... We are about to sign/join onto one of the www.desertdetours.com trips for the Xmas perioud again because of their experience and support [we went with them last year and it was fantastic]. On the trip we very quickly became aware of their expert and inside knowledge. i.e. when heavy snow and bad weather caught us out crossing the High Atlas they quickly had us camped and diverted next morning and later, in the Sahara, the repair and recovery of a clients motorhome. etc etc. Like RV146, would be interested in expectations of companions, and yours........breakdown support for example! {sorry about contact via forum but emails bounce back and your wed link shows not available}

Hi Terry Well where do I start ? a sense of adventure for starters is a must, along with a sense of humour! Honest communication between all parties is essential, eg. are we doing too many miles in one day! do we all like the place we have stopped at! It would be in all parties best interest to meet up as soon as possible to discuss dates etc. As well as to see that we all get on together! I hope this is of some help, is it possible to use e-mail for any further communication? as I prefer it to this web site, computers are not my first love! walking and social drinking are!!! Hope to hear from you again soon. Mick & Jean B-)

Hi Having made four previous trips to the Sahara two of them in the company of other vehicles and two lone trips, backup in the case of a breakdown is given by all other members of the group! I have crossed the High Atlas for the past two years in December with no problems! but yes it can snow very hard in that area. My e-mail address is shown in the forum, but to recap it is as follows mickjean.knight@virgin.net Yes I must agree some companies do fantastic trips for big sums of money. But I have travelled the same roads for free. Hope to hear from you soon Mick & Jean

Possible breakdown is a major issue and one of the reasons for going with an organisation with support and facilities. Are you saying that given a breakdown someone in the group will help fix and/or recover vehicle. Is there workshop facilities and/or adequate tools and equipment carried. Will the trip be put on "hold" while repairs are carried out? On our last desertdetours tour we came across a broken down MHome in a campsite in Southern Morocco. The tour company [who shall remain nameless, but is named after the colour of a camel!] had left them to continue with their group. The desertdetours mechanic had them back on the road in about two hours, for free, while their second guide/support vehicle led us on to the planned stop........That's support and back-up. Its not the road that anyone can travel on free, its where you are going and where the PLANNED stop is. I have no problem with solo and private groups, good luck, but I did my sums with a number of the organisations [not just DD] and did find one or two expensive. But the others, includuding DD, come in regarding cost very good given that ferry, site, food, locations and of course support etc are covered. On our New Year tour we are even getting a GPS unit to keep for free. Last point [sorry]. Unsupported/led groups. AS we were given open return ferry tickets a few of use stayed on together for a few more weeks in Morocco. That lasted 4 days! But I say however you go, solo/private group/supported, go for it. Its a fantastic country and we can't wait to get back this Xmas/New Year.

Hi Jumper Yes I have knowledge of customers being left behind when things go wrong, but the companies that do this type of thing do make it plain in the contract that you have with them. So you do have a choice go with another company and pay a little more or stay with the cheaper option. Breakdowns are not always repairable even with a fully trained mechanic on the trip, electronic plug in computers ect need I say more!! GPS for free! is this not included in the price? I am now straying from the main purpose of putting a thread in the forum which was, Is anybody interested in a trip to the Sahara? with a fully qualified mechanic, a complete tool kit and all the spare parts that may be needed!! As for PLANNED stops, I also know where I am going and where I am going to stop. More to the point I do not need to stick to a rigid itinerary. Having said my piece I can fully understand why some people do prefer to go with an organised tour, but some still have the spirit of adventure and like to feel free to use their motorhome fully, stopping when and where and for how long they wish. Mick

Hi Mick, It sounds great, unfortuneatly not this year for us as we will be working over Christmas. But for the future yes. We retire next March/April. i will keep a note of your e-mail address for the future. It is something I have fancied doing for the last forty years, my thoughts were to do it with a Land Rover. The spirit of adventure sounds like us. A few years back we drove through parts of Sth Africa that South Africans dont drive through, everybody out there said dont do it. We did weve got the Photos and memories. Fantastic. Good luck with your trip. David

Archived