Windows 8.1 anti-virus

enodreven

Hi just upgraded to windows 8.1 and find Microsofts web site a bit misleading as it sort of suggests that I no longer need Microsoft Security Essencials as it is included in 8.1 as Defender, but it then says Defender will protect against Malware with no mention of viruses.

I may have read the information incorrectly but it does leave me wondering if Defender provides the same as my old MSE or do I need to get additional virus protection, can anyone explain please

thanks

Brian

Defender in 8.1 is effectively the equivalent of MSE in earlier operating systems - it will detect viruses.

Its interface is slightly different (in that there is not the ability to set a scheduled scan directly from the user interface - you would need to use Task Scheduler for this).

It is enabled in Win8 and Win8.1 by default if no other AV product is installed, and cannot be uninstalled (though installing a different AV product will disable it)

If you were happy with MSE on previous operating systems, then you have much the same protection.

(the above isn't a loaded statement; I myself use MSE, but also choose to run an occasional one-off scan with Malwarebytes).

If you wish to test the correct functioning of any AV solution installed, you can download (but make sure you get a genuine source) the EICAR test "virus". This is a harmless file which AV products will flag as a virus, providing a check of their functionality.

Hi and thank you for your very helpful reply, I have been happy with MSE for the last year or two, so I think I will give the new Defender a try, I will also download Malwarebytes and run that occasionally,

So thanks again, its really great when people like yourself, take the time and trouble to give such a helpful and comprehensive reply, that's when this web site really becomes very useful

Happy New Year

Brian

QUOTE]Robinhood - 2013-12-30 9:41 AM

Defender in 8.1 is effectively the equivalent of MSE in earlier operating systems - it will detect viruses.

Its interface is slightly different (in that there is not the ability to set a scheduled scan directly from the user interface - you would need to use Task Scheduler for this).

It is enabled in Win8 and Win8.1 by default if no other AV product is installed, and cannot be uninstalled (though installing a different AV product will disable it)

If you were happy with MSE on previous operating systems, then you have much the same protection.

(the above isn't a loaded statement; I myself use MSE, but also choose to run an occasional one-off scan with Malwarebytes).

If you wish to test the correct functioning of any AV solution installed, you can download (but make sure you get a genuine source) the EICAR test "virus". This is a harmless file which AV products will flag as a virus, providing a check of their functionality.

Hi,

Thanks for that info, I have just tried the link given by "Spospe" above on my main computer that is protected by MSE only, and has been for the last 2 years and it picked up up each of the files used to test in that link, so it can't be that bad, so I think I will continue with MSE on my main computer and the New Defender on my windows 8.1 machine,

( I haven't tested Defender with those downloadable files yet but I will shortly)

Thanks for all your help.

Robinhood - 2013-12-31 10:36 AM

enodreven - 2013-12-31 10:24 AM

I will also download Malwarebytes and run that occasionally,

....make sure you select the free version for download.

Whilst this doesn't provide "real-time" protection, it is good for the occasional "sweep".

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Oops! I am still in the dark ages and happily running XP. Yes, I know it will not be supported from April and am looking to upgrade but it does cost money and we have just had Christmas.

However, I will probably go for Windows 7 Pro as I do not need the touch screen stuff that Windows *8 offers. I am also looking to upgrade the computer itself this year as it is now 9 years old, although still working fine. As they say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Archived