Credit card charge in France

DonB

This afternoon after a repair at a motorhome dealership in France, we were told they had been instructed by their bank that if they accepted an English credit card there was a 5% surcharge. New one on us but we had to pay it. So beware....

Guest Had Enough
DonB - 2013-12-30 5:08 PM

This afternoon after a repair at a motorhome dealership in France, we were told they had been instructed by their bank that if they accepted an English credit card there was a 5% surcharge. New one on us but we had to pay it. So beware....

This is nothing to do with the banks but simply an attempt by the dealer to maximise his profits. It doesn't just happen in France though, many businesses in the UK add a surcharge for credit cards. I've just had some minor work done on my car (I kerbed an alloy wheel) and the body shop has a 2.5% surcharge on cards. They claim that this is the charge they pay on cards.

I pointed out to them that the charge is high because they clearly do little business by cards (I used a debit card to avoid the surcharge) and that if they didn't surcharge, their costs would come down.

I also pointed out that nowadays, surcharging people who pay by card is ludicrous. I'm a businessman and I lump my card charges into my expenses along with rents, rates and staff costs etc. etc.

Can you imagine this Frenchman if, after dining at his local restaurant ,they'd added 5% to his bill for paying by card? He'd have probably had a right old argument!

I would never pay this kind of charge. Draw the cash from an ATM or pay by debit card if you have the funds.

Archived